Why can't I change Dolphin's icon (launcher & in panel)

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexwi
Level 1
Level 1

Why can't I change Dolphin's icon (launcher & in panel)

Post by alexwi »

Hi,

I'm running Mint Cinnamon 19 and I installed Dolphin, as I prefer it over Nemo, even though they're almost the same.

Since now Dolphin can't be run with elevated privileges, I'm forced to use Nemo for this. The problem is that both Dolphin and Nemo use the same icon in Plank and on the Window List panel, so when I have a dozen programs running, and three of those are various Dolphin and Nemo windows, it's impossible to tell, at a glance, which one's which.

I tried to change Dolphin's icon by editing its launcher in the menu editor (cinnamon-menu-editor). I want it to be an image of a folder, just like Nemo's, but in a different color. The only problem is that if I choose ANY icon from the /usr/share/icons/Mint-X-* or Mint-Y-* directories (or from other directories), the icon reverts to one with the same file name in /usr/share/iconts/Mint-X-Orange/places/128 (i.e. folders.svg). Actually, sometimes it reverts to something completely different - I chose /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y/places/48/file-manager.png and when I click "OK," the system chose, instead, /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/96/file-manager.svg

I had a similar issue with kfind.

In the end, I threw the towel and worked around this behavior by copying the icon I wanted into a new directory, /usr/share/icons/custom, and picking the icon from there.

Can someone please explain to me what the what is going on here?

Thanks!

Alex
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Why can't I change Dolphin's icon (launcher & in panel)

Post by phd21 »

Hi alexwi,

The KDE Dolphin file manager is still the best file manager that I have ever used in Linux although some are getting closer now (Nemo, Polo, etc..) to having all the features that Dolphin has. Dolphin can be installed in all editions of Linux Mint, see post below.

Post below includes information on installing dolphin.

Can't get an image preview at file manager - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=268018&hilit=inst ... n&start=20

This post has information for using Dolphin as root, see last reply
[SOLVED] Dolphin error opening folder as root - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=255012&hilit=dolphin

As for the Dolphin icon, I prefer to use the really nice icon with a dolphin (dolphin-emu.png) which I moved to my pictures folder and use as a custom icon.

Hope this helps ...
Dolphin1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
alexwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexwi »

Thanks for the link to the other discussion (running dolphin as root). Unfortunately, the advice on the discussion you mentioned doesn't work in my system. I think it has to do with the instructions being for KDE, whereas I use Cinnamon. I'm still getting "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible."

And I can change the icons, as long as the icons I choose are not related to file management. Still clueless about why that's so.

Alex
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi alexwi,

You are welcome...

The option "A.)" to create a new desktop launcher shortcut should work on all editions of Linux Mint (Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, Xfce). At the moment I am in Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and it is working (installed "kdesudo" in LM18.x).
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
alexwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexwi »

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't get it to work and can't get kdesu installed either in mint 19. Bummer.

Alex
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi alexwi,

In Linux Mint 19.x for non-KDE users the command may be different and they got rid of "kdesudo" in Linux Mint 19.x.

When I get a chance to boot into Linux Mint 19.x, I will try it out. You might be able to use the command below?

Code: Select all

sudo -H dolphin
alexwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexwi »

Thank you, and thanks for your insistence with this.

alexxxx@TXD04:~$ sudo -H dolphin
[sudo] password for alexxxx: 
Executing Dolphin as root is not possible.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi alexwi,

FYI: Nemo seems to have "open as root" which can be used whenever you need that. The "Polo" file manager "open as admin" (root) option works well and comes up with enter password to "run /usr/bin/env" as super user.

pkexec
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/po ... xec.1.html

I have been trying to get the various options for dolphin as root to work in non-kde systems like Cinnamon but to no avail so far. I do not know the Gnome/GTK policy command syntax or if that would even work with dolphin to replace the kde policy session specific syntax in that command.

This command does work in KDE systems based on Ubuntu 18.04 + for Dolphin to run as root.

pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin
I know you can create new right-click options like actions for a file like to open as text root user and use something like
To edit a file maybe something like
Example of editing a file using "gedit" as root

gedit admin:///etc/fstab
Perhaps a right-click option to open with gedit as root might work, yet to be tested.
gedit admin://%u

This was recommended to run nautilus file manager as root
nautilus admin:///root/

So, I tried this which did not work, programs spawned from this like a text editor did not inherit root privileges like they are supposed to do, so you could not save changes to a file.
dolphin admin:///root/

Anyone else with any ideas, please chime in...
alexwi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexwi »

Hi,

I really appreciate your relentlessness, and I'll be sure to pay it forward when the time comes.

I read about the admin:/// option and also tried a bunch of things to no avail so, for the time being, I'm adapting as well as I can, using Nemo's root capabilities when necessary (hence my need to make the icons different), but I'm afraid that by version 20, even that option might be off the table if this idiotic idea of making a product so fool-proof that it becomes useless is a trend.

Thanks!

alex

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”