[SOLVED] Tweaking cinnamon.css

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Tweaking cinnamon.css

Post by sadi »

I prefer using a transparent top panel with Linux Mint Cinnamon (https://github.com/germanfr/cinnamon-transparent-panels) - "Shadow Mode" suits best for me.

This means I'm stuck with Arc theme (https://github.com/NicoHood/arc-theme) at the moment for it's the only one that uses opaque (white) text and icons that don't become blurred too much on a light background wallpaper.

I wonder if I can force other themes (e.g. by inserting some magic code in "cinnamon.css") to use opaque (white) text and icons as well???

The screenshot below (hopefully) shows arc-theme and adapta panel results.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Tweaking cinnamon.css

Post by smurphos »

sadi wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 pm I wonder if I can force other themes (e.g. by inserting some magic code in "cinnamon.css") to use opaque (white) text and icons as well???
No magic needed but a little trial and error may be required depending on the complexity of the theme you are tweaking. I'd suggest copying the theme you are editing to ~/.themes and editing that copy. After each edit save the theme and reload Cinnamon using Ctrl-Alt-Esc.

1) Search the themes cinnamon.css for #panel and in the code block change any existing color declaration or add one color: #ffffff;

2) Check if there are any color declarations in code blocks under .panel-top, .panel-bottom, .panel-left and .panel-right. If there are change them to color: #ffffff;

3) Check and change if necessary color declarations in .applet-box, .applet-label, .applet-icon, .panel-status-button, .user-icon, .user-label and .window-list-item-box

That should pretty much cover it...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
sadi
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Tweaking cinnamon.css

Post by sadi »

This list provided me with everything I needed it seems; thank you so much!

I guess the level of transparency in all these panel elements (text and icons) depends on the color codes used in this list; for example, using the hex color code #ffffff, and not something like rgba(255,255,255,0.8) produces opaque white color, am I right?
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”