gtk-warning theme parsing error

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phillip_mueller7

gtk-warning theme parsing error

Post by phillip_mueller7 »

Hello LM-folks,

I run Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinnamon and downloaded some themes via the themes application. I tried different ones, among them Adapta-Nokto, and that one is in a way incompatible with my gnome version, I suppose. It causes the following errors, when I try to open nemo, nautilus and gnome-tweak-tool, which is kind of problematic, since I can't pick another theme from the system config, as long as I can't open it with nemo, nautilus, etc. When I try to edit the theme with tweak tool, tweak tool crashes when clicking on the dropdown menu for theme selection.

(gnome-tweak-tool:8257): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:570:1022: Missing name of pseudo-class

(nautilus:8975): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2420:12: Missing name of pseudo-class

(nemo:9011): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2420:12: Missing name of pseudo-class

The numbers after gtk.css: vary.

I already tried to set different gtk-theme, icon-theme and window-theme with gsettings. I restarted cinnamon several times, I used rightclick on Menu-Bar restore search error, restore default settings, but with no success

When I tried gsettings I tried the following commands:

gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.user-theme Mint-X (did not work)

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme /usr/share/icons/Mint-X (swallowed the command without error, when I checked with tweak tool, it showed Mint-X-theme, but no change was actually applied)

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme /usr/share/themes/Mint-X (did also "work" without any change)

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme /usr/share/themes/Mint-X (accepted with change in tweak-tool, but without effect either)

gsettings reset-recursively org.cinnamon (accepted command, took 5 seconds waiting, but then no actual change)

Does anybody know any other method to approach this issue? It's kind of ridiculous... :roll:

Best regards, thank you for your time to read!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: gtk-warning theme parsing error

Post by smurphos »

phillip_mueller7 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:54 pm Best regards, thank you for your time to read!
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... apta-Nokto
Compatibility
This theme is compatible with Cinnamon versions 3.2.x, 3.4.x, 3.6.x, 3.8.x & 4.0

The GTK3 themes require GTK 3.18.x or 3.2x
None of these things are available in Mint 17.x.

If you want to use Adapta-Nokto you need to be on 18.1 or later.

If you've just run

Code: Select all

gsettings reset-recursively org.cinnamon
a Ctrl-Alt-Esc should be enough to get the modified settings to stick (or log off and log back on).

If not the specific keys to reset should be

gsettings reset org.cinnamon.desktop.interface gtk-theme

gsettings reset org.cinnamon.theme name

gsettings reset org.cinnamon.desktop.wm.preferences theme
I'm not sure why are using Gnome Tweak Tool on Cinnamon? I don't think It can't be installed without installing Gnome-Shell so which are you actually using?

I don't think these keys have any affect in Cinnamon but it's probably a good idea to reset them to defaults anyway (the values you have used are invalid - they don't need a full path)

gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme 

gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme

gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”