How to install "tessa" themes on "sylvia"?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

How to install "tessa" themes on "sylvia"?

Post by pcfan5 »

I have just read that Linux mint 19.1 Tessa has this feautures " The Mint-Y, Mint-Y-Dark and Mint-Y-Darker themes are now available in Aqua, Blue, Brown, Grey, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, Sand and Teal".

How do I install this.? From Synaptics I cannot get it done, even after removing and installing again "mint- themes". I am under LM 18.3 Xfce and don't want to upgrade to "Tessa"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: How to install "tessa" themes on "sylvia"?

Post by gm10 »

you can download the packages here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tessa. Once downloaded, just click on them to install.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

gm10 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:41 pm you can download the packages here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Tessa. Once downloaded, just click on them to install.
thank you so very much! what is the name of the package "mint-themes"?
Last edited by pcfan5 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Should be mint-themes and the -icons packages.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

you are a genious ! thank you so very much! I have dowloaded the theme package , but when I tried to install it gave a tip to solve a broken package through synaptics, which was itself.. after doing so and installing with gdebi mannager , everything is fine!!!

I should reboot to check if it adapts fine to the multimedia player window..which now doesn't shown the handlers...
Do I have to set something in the composition mannager? (compton, metacity, etc)?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Compatibility issues are possible, of course, the themes were updated for a different version of your desktop environment. But I cannot help you with that, I'm not even using those themes.
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

don't worry!. I hope the developers take note,,, since there are many people looking foward to get this themes not only under mate.
thank you very much!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

pcfan5 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:17 pm don't worry!. I hope the developers take note,,,
I doubt it. Mint 18.x is no longer being developed after all.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

What she said. We won't be providing it, but if there are many people interested like you said I'm sure someone from the community can make the necessary modifications, if any.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:41 pm What she said. We won't be providing it, but if there are many people interested like you said I'm sure someone from the community can make the necessary modifications, if any.
Doubtful - the 19.x themes are built for GTK 3.22, 18.x uses GTK 3.18. It would be a relatively involved task to revert the current master to support GTK 3.18 again whilst keeping the interim aesthetic improvements. The initial commit for GTK3.22 support changed 18,657 lines of css. :roll:

OP - if you want new stuff upgrade. Otherwise you might find this third-party themer's site helpful - https://github.com/erikdubois/Mint-Y-Co ... Collection

It's aimed at Cinnamon users but the themes provided or produced by the script should also work fine in Mate/XFCE and they are based on an 18.x version of Mint-Y.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:10 am Doubtful - the 19.x themes are built for GTK 3.22, 18.x uses GTK 3.18. It would be a relatively involved task to revert the current master to support GTK 3.18 again whilst keeping the interim aesthetic improvements.
I was more expecting that someone might take the 18.x themes and make colour-adjusted copies to match the 19.x icons. The bare minimum like. Back-porting the whole thing would indeed be an unreasonable undertaking.

Personally I'd just upgrade to 19.1 and enjoy the good stuff as it was meant to be enjoyed. ;)
pcfan5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcfan5 »

Hi there again!. thank you smurffos for your reply.
I have tried https://github.com/erikdubois/Mint-Y-Colora-Theme but didn't work nice for me...since I have some visual issue, such as handlers or lines aren't shown.

Regarding this issue, and the people interested in this topic, here are the links to the forum where this were treated:

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=279703
viewtopic.php?f=211&t=280509

I didn't update because 18.3 has support until 2021 and it is working fine, on the other hand I have read in the official realese notes that 19 (or was it 19.1) had a lot of issues ...So that is why I wish the developers take note in order to apply the new "goodies" themes to all desktops, that is what I meant before.

Anyway, Trying over this matter I kind of broke something; here is the topic for my issue.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=287541

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”