[SOLVED] Folder Color options not appearing in context menu (multiple images)

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintyPangolin

[SOLVED] Folder Color options not appearing in context menu (multiple images)

Post by MintyPangolin »

I recently installed a new set of icons I liked and decided to also try Folder Color in order to customise things further. While the icon set looks great, I'm not seeing the options to change color in the context menu for folders.

The icon set is Papirus, found here on the developer's github; and for Folder Color I followed the instruction under the Nemo section on their site. The instructions on github do mention that Folder Color is supported.

My list of PPAs looks like this:

The packages for Papirus are there:

And I think Folder Color has the relevant packages installed:

Still I'm not seeing any new context menu options. It looks like this when I right click:

Am I doing something wrong? I'm quite new to customising the theme in this way so I'd appreciate any insight you can offer. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Folder Color options not appearing in context menu [multiple images]

Post by smurphos »

Do you need to expand the context menu (click the + sign next to Open).
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MintyPangolin

Post by MintyPangolin »

smurphos wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:18 am Do you need to expand the context menu (click the + sign next to Open).
Oh, I didn't know that's what that + sign did. Learned something! Unfortunately it just opens up options for Move to, Copy to, etc.

It looks like a menu item for Folder Colour should appear below the Delete option.

EDIT: One thing I have learned to do is use papirus-folders through the terminal to apply new colours system-wide. If I have no joy with Folder Color, I can remove it again, and I'll still be quite satisfied with the changes I can make.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Judging by your Software Sources window it looks like you on Mint 19.1?

I've had a quick look an I think the issue is that the folder-color-nemo extension is written for python 2.7, whilst nemo now (since version 4.0.0 in Mint 19.1) requires extensions to be python3.

Luckily it appears to be a quick fix as there is only a few lines in the extensions code that need updating to work with python3.

Caveat - I'm no python guru but on a quick test this fixes the issue. The menu item is there having restarted nemo again via nemo -q and the folder color change works OK (note you need to refresh the view for the change to take).

After installing folder-color-nemo run this to fix the script

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i "s|urllib.unquote|urllib.parse.unquote|g" /usr/share/nemo-python/extensions/folder-color.py
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MintyPangolin

Post by MintyPangolin »

Ah, I wondered if it might be some sort of incompatibility with the latest version of Mint. I'm glad to learn it's not a bug or fault with my system.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. It's very much appreciated. :D

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”