How do I modify or create my own Icon Theme?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikeglaz

How do I modify or create my own Icon Theme?

Post by mikeglaz »

Linux Mint 19.1 (64-bit)
Cinnamon 4.0.9

I like different icons from different themes. I was wondering what the correct way to make my own theme (just for my own personal desktop) is?

I really like the Moka theme. However, there are some icons in this theme which I would like to change.

For example, I prefer the original Google Chrome icon. So what I did was to place the google-chrome.svg file into all of the following folders - /usr/share/icons/Moka/??x??/apps

This almost works....on my panel the Chrome icon is the one which I like. However, when I try to drag this icon, the original Moka Chrome icon appears.

Is there documentation somewhere on this?

Mike
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jasonsw

Re: How do I modify or create my own Icon Theme?

Post by Jasonsw »

Under themes you can download and change an icon pack. Or if you really have the time you can go through each icon and go to configure. Then it will let you choose from many options or you can browse and use your own image.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

mikeglaz wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 pm Is there documentation somewhere on this?
The icon theme specification is probably the best you will get https://standards.freedesktop.org/icon- ... atest.html

For your issue it try deleting /usr/share/icons/Moka/icon-theme.cache, and then logging out and back in to your machine.

By the way I'd also recommend making a local copy of of any icon theme you are editing and performing your edits on the local copy, leaving the system copy intact - simply copy the whole folder /usr/share/icons/Moka/ to ~/.icons. The local copy will have precedence over the system copy.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
mikeglaz

Post by mikeglaz »

ok, so I chose to overwrite certain icons which I placed inside ~/.icons/Moka.

One application which I overrode the icon for is Okular. When I open up Okular, the icon displayed in the panel is the correct one. However, if I double-click on a pdf file, the old Okular icon (the one which comes with the Mint-Y theme) appears.

I noticed the Moka theme inherits from the Mint-Y theme. This is where the old Okular icon is. However, even when I comment out the line inside Moka's index.theme, the Mint-Y icon still appears when I open up Okular by clicking on a pdf file.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”