How to have colourful symbolic panel icons? (From: Is Linux Mint ugly?)

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Rtep
Level 3
Level 3

How to have colourful symbolic panel icons? (From: Is Linux Mint ugly?)

Post by Rtep » Thu May 30, 2019 11:52 am

Right side applets in LM 19.1 Cinnamon are VERY ugly. They looks like icons from year 1995!!! I cannot understand why anyone make them looks like that. It is even less understandable, why we cannot change them!!! Is there any way how to change them to coloured, "normal" icons? Also, how to make panel customizable transparent? Thanx for any help in advance.
Last edited by Moem on Thu May 30, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title changed to make clear what the question isn't.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is Linux Mint ugly?

Post by gm10 » Thu May 30, 2019 12:24 pm

Redo of Is Linux Mint ugly? that OP posted in? /yawn
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu May 30, 2019 12:56 pm

Mod note:
This was split off from an existing thread because it contains a support question, for which a chat thread is not the best place. Kindly do not blame the OP for the title. If you can answer the question, that would be great.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 12:56 pm
Mod note:
This was split off from an existing thread because it contains a support question, for which a chat thread is not the best place. Kindly do not blame the OP for the title. If you can answer the question, that would be great.
Do I get to blame you then? /duck

Regarding the OP: I'd say right-click the panel or the menu button to customize the panel (don't remember which one) and change your icon theme for the ... icons, but I'm not a Cinnamon user so I'll not guarantee it.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu May 30, 2019 1:15 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:01 pm
Do I get to blame you then? /duck
<duck>Sure, go ahead, it rolls off my back like water. </duck> :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:24 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:15 pm
<duck>Sure, go ahead, it rolls off my back like water. </duck> :wink:
You quack me up!

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu May 30, 2019 1:40 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:24 pm
You quack me up!
Just wait until you see my bill... :lol:

Anyway, to change settings for the panel in Cinnamon, there is a specific settings page, so either rightclick on the panel or open Panel from the menu.
That won't give you transparency, but: there is an extension that will.

Yes, panel icons can be changed by choosing a different icon theme. But some of them, such as sound, wifi and so on, will stay black and white despite that. I'm not sure how to change that.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:40 pm
But some of them, such as sound, wifi and so on, will stay black and white despite that. I'm not sure how to change that.
Even after reloading the panel? At least that's how it works on MATE, probably a GTK bug, I never looked into it.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu May 30, 2019 2:08 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:00 pm
Moem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:40 pm
But some of them, such as sound, wifi and so on, will stay black and white despite that. I'm not sure how to change that.
Even after reloading the panel?
Well, if I choose a different theme (I'm currently using Paper), the shape of the icons will change immediately but they are still black and white. Fine with me, but obviously not with the OP.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:22 pm

You would need to choose a theme that has colored icons, of course. E.g. the standard GNOME theme has a network icon with colored elements. Or just create/modify your own theme.

Personally I like symbolic icons in the tray area, so I do not mind the trend, either. Using the Flat-Remix theme myself.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Thu May 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Standard GNOME you say? I choose that, and get this:
panelGnome.png

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:48 pm

Moem wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:30 pm
Standard GNOME you say? I choose that, and get this:
panelGnome.png
You should not listen to me. ;) I misremembered, GNOME symbolics are mostly black & white now, there's only a few left with colour.

Well, that leaves you with finding another theme (but note that symbolic icons are meant to be low colour at best) or in fact modifying one (simply copy the regular icons and rename them to replace the -symbolic ones).

Crippled

Re: How to have colourful symbolic panel icons? (From: Is Linux Mint ugly?)

Post by Crippled » Thu May 30, 2019 7:35 pm

Rtep wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:52 am
Right side applets in LM 19.1 Cinnamon are VERY ugly. They looks like icons from year 1995!!! I cannot understand why anyone make them looks like that. It is even less understandable, why we cannot change them!!! Is there any way how to change them to coloured, "normal" icons? Also, how to make panel customizable transparent? Thanx for any help in advance.
If none of the different incon options are to your liking you can download icons from here. https://www.opendesktop.org/ Create a folder to unpack them to. Copy, then open the file manger as root > usr >share scroll down to icons and paste them in the icon folder. Close the file manger and you will have your new icons to chose from.

Rtep
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rtep » Thu May 30, 2019 11:24 pm

I'm talking about ugly right side panel applets. You cannot change them the way you explained. I know how to change every other icon in LM 19.1 Cinnamon by my own, but NOT these applets. Thanx for your help, but it is not what I want to change.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Fri May 31, 2019 12:27 am

There's no easy way to do this - the applet's themselves will hardcode the icon name in their applet.js and for the stock applets at least are generally looking for a symbolic type icon from the active icon set (either from the active icon theme or shipped with the applet). Basically you need to amend the code for each and every applet in use.

E.g. Looking at the inhibit applet (which ships it's own icons, but has two possible icons depending on applet status) - these are it's contents....

Code: Select all

steve@steve-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$ tree /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/inhibit@cinnamon.org/
/usr/share/cinnamon/applets/inhibit@cinnamon.org/
├── applet.js
├── icons
│   ├── inhibit-active-symbolic.svg
│   └── inhibit-symbolic.svg
└── metadata.json
To give this applet colourful icons I'd need to replace both icons with colourful versions without -symbolic in the name and edit the applet.js file to find the lines.

this._applet.set_applet_icon_symbolic_name('inhibit-active');

this._applet.set_applet_icon_symbolic_name('inhibit');
And change them to

this._applet.set_applet_icon_name('inhibit-active');

this._applet.set_applet_icon_name('inhibit');
Or alternatively change those lines to reference some other colourful icon in the icon theme.

this._applet.set_applet_icon_name('some-other-inhibit-active-icon');

this._applet.set_applet_icon_name("some-other-inhibit-icon);
or alternatively change those lines to reference some other icon in the file-system.

this._applet.set_applet_icon_path('/path/to/directory/some-other-inhibit-active-icon.svg');

this._applet.set_applet_icon_path('/path/to/directory/some-other-inhibit-icon.svg');
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”