[PARTLY SOLVED] Remove top window border (like Firefox on Windows 10)

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
drahreg
Level 1
Level 1

[PARTLY SOLVED] Remove top window border (like Firefox on Windows 10)

Post by drahreg »

Hi, maybe this post is better placed in the newbie section, if so, please move it.

I test Linux Mint 19.1 with Cinnamon in a VirtualBox VM.
Basically I try to get rid of the top window border, e.g. like Firefox on Windows 10 or like the screenshots of this theme:
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1214931/
Using this theme brings the look of this style, but not the integration of the top border, like on the screenshots.
I would like to have this at least for Firefox, better for all windows / applications. Maybe my search was not good enough, but I did not find anything helpful on this.

Can someone here help me with this?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Remove top window border (like Firefox on Windows 10)

Post by iain_33 »

Hello drahreg,

I don't know about all windows in general, but in Firefox, you can right-click a blank part of the tab bar then go to Customise, then in the bottom-left corner, un-tick "Title Bar".
Attachments
Screenshot at 2019-06-05 18-36-06.png
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
drahreg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drahreg »

Ok, thanks a lot for that information, I did not know this option, obviously.

Is this also possible for Nemo, or other programs, and if yes, how?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

drahreg wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:46 pm Is this also possible for Nemo, or other programs, and if yes, how?
Unfortunately not running Cinnamon - the header bar type styling (with a menu button) is a Gnome 3 default, whilst the titlebar + menubar styling is the default in all Mint desktops (Cinnamon / Mate / XFCE).

Some Gnome 3 apps (e.g Calculator) only support the header-bar style and display in Cinnamon with this way. A few apps support both and allow the user to switch. But most apps including Nemo only support the titlebar + menu bar styling.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
drahreg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drahreg »

Thanks for the information. Ithought through some config file editing ..., well at least I have Firefox the way I want it.
Maybe the look of Cinnamon window borders will be more modern in the future?

Again, thanks for your help.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”