How can i change "system tray" icons?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gsissa

How can i change "system tray" icons?

Post by gsissa »

Hi,
I just upgraded my test PC, I noticed the size (big!) and the color (black) of the new icons in "system tray" (as called by the staff of Linux mint). These are horribles, I would like to revert to the 19.3 icons. Attached mine system tray after the upgrade. Someone knows how to do it? Thank you! gs
Attachments
Schermata a 2020-07-03 22-12-47.png
Schermata a 2020-07-03 22-12-47.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
1963Galaxy

Re: How can i change "system tray" icons?

Post by 1963Galaxy »

I agree with gsissa. These new icons really turn me off. They look horrible. Can you please hurry with some new colorful ones?
I do Mint
Level 2
Level 2

Post by I do Mint »

Completely agree, these look awful :shock:
Oh yes, I do Mint :)
SolidState
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SolidState »

I'm coming to this a little late so y'all may have found a solution. I have a similar dislike for the flat looking icons that appear in the notification area myself. Try this: Run the theme changer, either right click the desktop and choose "change desktop background" or from the Menu run the Appearance application. Decide on a theme but not all themes support all icon sets. Here's where it might get tricky. Once you think you have a theme you like, choose the icon set you also think you might like. Then customize the theme by trying out different controls options, and it may mean you pick a controls set from another theme. Sounds odd that the contols of the theme would have anything to do with the tray icons, but so it seems to be. Take your time and give the controls a chance to catch up with the theme package, keeping your eye on the notifiation area, or as some like to call it, the system tray. Once you have decided on the icons that match your taste, name the custom theme and save it. Another potential snag might arise with your choice of window manager, but try outthe above suggestion first. This applies to mate, and I don't know if this will help in the other flavours of Mint.

Please post back if this helps. Cheers

SolidState

ps you might also want to look for an icon set you like on the theme sites: gnome-look or mate-look, or elsewhere.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

So Linux Mint is following the trend of 2-D grayscale flat icons. Why, oh why? Don't they realize it's harder to identify icons like this, when they are all in grayscale? The madness in the world of computer programing continues. Computer apps are devolving, just like the rest of the world around us.

What cracks me up is that there are those out there who call this "modern" icons. Oh the irony.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

MATE?

If MATE see this chatty thread: viewtopic.php?f=206&t=325361

If it's not MATE, it's ugly too ...
SantaFe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SantaFe »

Schultz wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:48 pm So Linux Mint is following the trend of 2-D grayscale flat icons. Why, oh why? Don't they realize it's harder to identify icons like this, when they are all in grayscale? The madness in the world of computer programing continues. Computer apps are devolving, just like the rest of the world around us.

What cracks me up is that there are those out there who call this "modern" icons. Oh the irony.
I'm waiting for Mint-Z themes. Slightly lighter black text & Icons on totally Black Backgrounds. Because as you know, legible icons & text are passé. ;)
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

SantaFe wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:11 pm
I'm waiting for Mint-Z themes. Slightly lighter black text & Icons on totally Black Backgrounds. Because as you know, legible icons & text are passé. ;)
Wonderful, and I could not agree more, however I fear sarcasm goes straight over some folks' heads.
Cliff Coggin
zpangwin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zpangwin »

i'm a bit late to the party but hopeful this might be of use to others stumbling in from search engines...

I finally had some limited success with this, at least to the point of being able to add some very basic colors for 2 network-manager applet icons. since it is a bit involved, going to link to my post on unix.stackexchange ... if there is interest, anyone interested is welcome to fill in the remaining gaps / clean it up a bit and post a better guide here on LM forums.
forthewin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by forthewin »

This is a LOT of work just to change systray icons. Thank you for sharing. Mint should not make it this hard.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

zpangwin wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:09 am i'm a bit late to the party but hopeful this might be of use to others stumbling in from search engines...

I finally had some limited success with this, at least to the point of being able to add some very basic colors for 2 network-manager applet icons. since it is a bit involved, going to link to my post on unix.stackexchange ... if there is interest, anyone interested is welcome to fill in the remaining gaps / clean it up a bit and post a better guide here on LM forums.
I found the icons location long ago (6-7 months ago) but I came across a problem which I couldn't resolve, so I gave up trying to change the icons: there's some kind of a layer (I can't think of a better word for it) over the tray icons, specifically for network and audio, which inverts the color of the icons. Or turning them into negatives, if you will. For instance, find the network icon in Adwaita and fill it with red color (FF0000), then restart cinnamon. You'll see the icon is not red, it's greenish - that's the invert effect caused by that layer I mentioned. I couldn't find any file that would work as a layer, so it must be something in the source code. I don't understand why would they add such a thing, it's absolutely ridiculous to have it.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
lax luthior
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lax luthior »

Valsodar,
Do you still have that information, that is, where a given apps' default launcher icons are kept?
I am speaking of the apps' default launcher icons that are placed in the panel by going to /menu/applications/all, right-clicking on an app in the list, and choosing "add to panel".
I had figured that one out last week in Caja, but before I could make a note of the location(s), I executed an inadvertent, clumsy closing of the file manager. Probably because I pushed one of the the side-mounted "Forward / Back" mouse buttons. They are supposedly unsupported in Linux, but they seem to function anyway. Well, at least when pushing one of them can lead to a real mess. Thanks!

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”