Mint-Yz v4.1 (2022-10-12) GTK Theme For Your Whole System: Colors, Contrasts, And Design

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint-Yz, a newer Mint-Y GTK theme: fresh colors for your entire system

Post by sebastjava »

begtognen wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 pm I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it didn't work. Any suggestions are appreciated.
First of all, i just watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpXAnRJeGMU video. This guy is saying we shouldn’t give complex command line instructions when we have a GUI. I think he is right. I didn’t use the command line, i did it the most simple way. I just felt it was easier to describe using command lines, but i could have explained it all in GUI words.

Are you on Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce ? I am on Cinnamon. I also did this on MATE, before. But i never tested this on Xfce.

Hey, i was going to go through the entire story again, repeating every step, but then i got a "flash". Maybe you got everything OK, except the final step: Menu > Preferences > Themes. We are modifying the metacity theme, not the GTK theme. So, in the Cinnamon distro, you have to change back and forth the Window borders. There is something similar to this on the Mate distro. I don’t know about Xfce.
Screenshot from 2020-12-08 13-00-36.png
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

begtognen wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 pm I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it didn't work. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Else, here is a second try, this time all in GUI:
  • File manager > View > Show hidden files (Ctrl+H)
  • Is there a .themes directory in your home directory? If not, create one. Don’t forget the "." before "themes" = ".themes"
  • Copy some whole theme from /usr/share/themes/ into your ~/.themes. "whole" means the theme directory and all his subdirectories and files. See my picture.
  • Right-click to open ~/.themes/Mint-Yz-Base-MintSoft/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml in a simple text editor such as Xed. DO NOT USE a big word processor such as LibreOffice Writer.
  • Look for the line

Code: Select all

<constant name="C_wm_bg_focused" value="rgba(217,217,217,1.0)" />
  • Replace with

<constant name="C_wm_bg_focused" value="rgba(85,221,153,1.0)" />
    (copy-paste to make sure you get the exact same thing!)
  • Save as "metacity-theme-3.xml" (same name and location, thus replacing it). Using the "Save as" command will let you check the Character Encoding = Current Locale (UTF-8) and Line Ending = Unix/Linux. Those specs are found in the Xed text editor, the standard text editor in Cinnamon.
  • If already opened, maybe you should quit the Themes preferences and re-launch it, to refresh the whole thing.
  • Change to some other old Window borders theme (metacity theme) and change again to your current modified theme, to force refresh. See my picture from my previous post.
  • See?
Screenshot from 2020-12-08 13-15-45.png

This was just a first test. If OK, then you should also change ~/.themes/Mint-Yz-Base-MintSoda/metacity-1/metacity-theme-2.xml using #HEX values. Example: #55DD99. Save this file.

When everything is OK, you should copy your new theme into /usr/share/themes/ and then delete it from ~/.themes to make it available systemwide, i.e for root access, other users, your login screen, etc.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Else, if nothing else works, you could try my customized one:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eWct0L ... sp=sharing
  • Uncompress this zip file.
  • Move it to your ~/.themes directory.
  • If already opened, maybe you should quit the Themes preferences and re-launch it, to refresh the whole thing.
  • Change the Theme prefs to some other old Window borders theme (metacity theme) and change again to your current modified theme, to force refresh. See my picture from my previous post.
  • See?
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

antikythera wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:36 pm :D In honour of that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aLiT3wXko0
Yes! That is part of my youth. :) I still have an 80s playlist playing on my old iPhone 4 regularly. Lots of electro-pop from the eighties. But when i need to concentrate, to ignore the surrounding city noise, i am into Melodic Techno... But when i take a walk outside, it may well be one of these old electro-pops still playing...
begtognen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by begtognen »

Hi Sebastjava -

I've made the changes in exactly the way you explained them, and also tried the customized theme (thanks for that) but the active titlebar remains the same as it did before.

I don't think I mentioned that I'm using Linux Mint 20, XFCE - perhaps that's making the difference?

I appreciate your help.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

begtognen wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:15 pm [...] I'm using Linux Mint 20, XFCE - perhaps that's making the difference?
Yes, that is the difference. The Xfce window manager is the xfwm4 subdirectory of your theme’s directory. More on this later.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

begtognen wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:15 pm [...] I'm using Linux Mint 20, XFCE - perhaps that's making the difference?
To get coloured window title backgrounds in Xfce is a complicated and long journey. WARNING: I will probably forget some little details in my following instructions so this could cause errors, headaches and heavy time consuming. Before we start, i thought of something much easier to try. In Xfce, changing the color of the title characters is much less difficult than changing the background color.

Changing the color of the active window title characters
This is not exactly what you want, but it is much less difficult and time consuming. I guess this could work, but i can’t test this, because i don’t have any Xfce installed distro:
  • File manager > View > Show hidden files (Ctrl+H)
  • Is there a .themes directory in your home directory? If not, create one. Don’t forget the "." before "themes" = ".themes"
  • Copy some whole theme from /usr/share/themes/ into your ~/.themes. "whole" means the theme directory and all his subdirectories and files. See my picture from previous posts.
  • Right-click to open ~/.themes/Mint-Yz-VARIANT-COLOUR/xfwm4/themerc in a simple text editor such as Xed. DO NOT USE a big word processor such as LibreOffice Writer.
  • Look for the line

active_text_color=#404040
  • Replace with

active_text_color=#55DD99
    (copy-paste to make sure you get the exact same thing! Change this greenish #55DD99 to any colour you like...)
  • Save as "themerc" (same name and location, thus replacing it). Using the "Save as" command will let you check the Character Encoding = Current Locale (UTF-8) and Line Ending = Unix/Linux. Those specs are found in the Xed text editor, the standard text editor in Cinnamon.
  • Change to some other old Window borders theme (xfwm4 theme) and change again to your current modified theme, to force refresh. See my picture from my previous post.
  • See?
Changing the colour of the active window title backgrounds
This is what you were asking for. But it is much more complicated. What follows is possibly not detailed, complete and accurate instructions. There is no warranty. This is at your own risk! It is just something to start with, but you may need to do your own research and error corrections...
  1. Go back to the source: https://github.com/horst3180/arc-theme. Clone or download.
  2. Install Inkscape and imagemagick Image manipulation programs.
  3. Edit all relevant assets in arc-theme/common/xfwm4/assets.svg and arc-theme/common/xfwm4/assets-dark.svg: title-*-active, top-left-active, top-right-active, etc.
  4. Duplicate https://github.com/SebastJava/mint-yz-t ... -assets.sh into arc-theme/common/xfwm4/ directory. (Replacing the other one.)
  5. NOTE: This render-assets.sh script is made for Inkscape versions >= 1.0. For older versions, you need to edit this script to search and replace all --export-filename with --export-png.
  6. Run this render-assets.sh. (Change permissions to allow this.)
  7. File manager > View > Show hidden files (Ctrl+H)
  8. Is there a .themes directory in your home directory? If not, create one. Don’t forget the "." before "themes" = ".themes"
  9. Copy some whole theme from /usr/share/themes/ into your ~/.themes. "whole" means the theme directory and all his subdirectories and files. See my picture from previous posts.
  10. Replace ~/.themes/Mint-Yz-VARIANT-COLOUR/xfwm4/ directory with arc-theme/common/xfwm4/assets/ directory (or assets-dark)
  11. If already opened, maybe you should quit the Themes preferences and re-launch it, to refresh the whole thing.
  12. Change to some other old Window borders theme (xfwm4 theme) and change again to your current modified theme, to force refresh. See my picture from my previous post.
  13. See?
...After doing all those things, you could possibly consider repeating this for each other 32 colors and variants! :)
Last edited by sebastjava on Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Hey, i have another idea. No engineering, just playing with GIMP... Well, at least this could serve as a quick test before attempting some harder works.

Screenshot from 2020-12-18 00-42-55.png
  • Duplicate some entire theme into ~/.themes directory as explained before.
  • Duplicate the files shown in the image above.
  • Change those duplicated file names: *active (copy) -> *inactive. In other words, replace those links for inactive titles with real duplicates of the active ones.
  • Open the files shown in the image above with GIMP and find some way to colourize them.
  • In GIMP, File > Export those colourized images, replacing the original ones.
  • In Themes preferences, Switch to some other old Window borders theme (xfwm4 theme) and switch again to your current modified theme, to force refresh. See my picture from my previous posts.
  • See?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

sebastjava wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:10 am
Hey, i have another idea. No engineering, just playing with GIMP... Well, at least this could serve as a quick test before attempting some harder works.

Screenshot from 2020-12-18 00-42-55.png

• Duplicate some entire theme into ~/.themes directory as explained before.
  • Duplicate the files shown in the image above.
  • Change those duplicated file names: *active (copy) -> *inactive. In other words, replace those links for inactive titles with real duplicates of the active ones.
  • Open the files shown in the image above with GIMP and find some way to colourize them.
  • In GIMP, File > Export those colourized images, replacing the original ones.
  • In Themes preferences, Switch to some other old Window borders theme (xfwm4 theme) and switch again to your current modified theme, to force refresh. See my picture from my previous posts.
  • See?
If you want to attempt this use Inkscape rather than GIMP
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

antikythera wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:01 am If you want to attempt this use Inkscape rather than GIMP
Inkscape!? Are you sure? This last post of mine is about trying some direct image editing on *.xpm files. These are bitmap image files...
begtognen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by begtognen »

Hey folks - I'm excited to try this! I use Inkscape all the time so that part of the project will be easy. I'll let you know how it goes.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

begtognen wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:10 am Hey folks - I'm excited to try this! I use Inkscape all the time so that part of the project will be easy. I'll let you know how it goes.
EDITS were made in the instructions here: viewtopic.php?p=1938959#p1938959
Changing the colour of the active window title backgrounds (only showing edited parts)
[...]
4. [...] (Replacing the other one.)
5. NOTE: This render-assets.sh script is made for Inkscape versions >= 1.0. For older versions, you need to edit this script to search and replace all --export-filename with --export-png.
[...]
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

Version 2.5 is now available! See OP for updated images...

preview-nemo-Blue.png

Changelog:
  • Subtle updates on some colors. Blue and BlueDeep are now quite improved. And there is no more darkening on the dark themes.
  • No more useless and distracting dashed outlines in file managers. Example: before, when we moved a file elsewhere, the neighbouring file was more or less highlighted by a dashed gray outline. Why? It made no sense and it wasn't pretty, besides being distracting. There were other similar cases with the dashed outlines. There is no more dashed outlines now. But the dashed lines indicating continued text or file windows are still there, being useful. And the dashed outlines indicating focused buttons are replaced with more visible, solid and coloured outlines since version 2.1... Please tell us if this is causing any new issue.

The story behind these many updates

The technical side is pretty well handled, IMHO. You can try out these new colors without having too much to worry about. It installs easily. And it's not just the colors, there are a few other small improvements as well: read all the details in the GitHub links below.

If the technique is handled well enough, the choice of colors, which have changed many times, albeit in a subtle way, can seem a little crazy. It’s that on the one hand there is a felt need for vivid colors and on the other there is the fear of being criticized. Because bright colors can be seen as tiring and distracting. But, on the other hand, dull colors demotivate me, and it tires me.

I had spent a lot of time on the previous version. But as soon as it was published, I was not satisfied. Seems like the whole time I'm working on it, I'm only thinking in terms of numbers and analytical judgments. But as soon as it is published, the global vision takes over. And I was not satisfied with the previous release. So this version was produced a little more... spontaneously. Visually, it's more energized, more motivating. But don't think that it's just a matter of feelings, losing sight of practicalities and readability. No. You always have to compare, and that's what I always do. If you compare with the official Mint-Ys, my colors may look too vibrant. But compare with 100% pure colors and you will see that there is a dosage there. There is, for example, a big difference between a pure blue and the Mint-Yz-Blue: https://colorable.jxnblk.com/ffffff/0000ff VS https://colorable.jxnblk.com/ffffff/0088ff. Open these on two separate windows, side-by-side, and feel the difference! Only my Red and Orange are, admittedly, quite pure and distracting. I just wasn’t able to compromise on these two.

And then all of these choices are difficult. Too colourful, it's tiring. Not enough, it's depressing. And then it changes from monitor to monitor, and depending on the settings, and the surrounding lighting. Perceptions also change depending on the time of day and the accumulated fatigue... In short, it is never constant. Tell us what you think. And what you feel. I hope you find colors here that are both energizing and readable!

Themes: https://github.com/SebastJava/mint-yz-theme
Icons: https://github.com/SebastJava/mint-yz-icons
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Happy Birthday sebastjava! :D
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

colors-preview.png

Mint-Yz-icons version 2.5.1 is now available !
https://github.com/SebastJava/mint-yz-icons/releases

Big update from upstream source and fixed bugs... Changelog:
  • UPSTREAM-UPDATE = git reset --hard upstream/master
  • UPSTREAM-UPDATE = pull z-new (Re-introduce the Mint-Yz difference.)
  • UPSTREAM-UPDATE method described for future jobs.
  • Modified make-directories-and-index.sh for symlinks in /places/
  • Updated symlinks = ../../Mint-Yz-Old/actions/* in Mint-Yz-Old-Dark/actions/*
Don’t worry about these technical details.
This a Debian package: just download mint-yz-icons_2.5.1_all.deb and double-click!
This is the perfect complement for the GTK theme:
https://github.com/SebastJava/mint-yz-theme
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I'm using your theme and icon set at the moment, it's looking very crisp, clean and vibrant :D

My combination: Yellow-Dark Icons, Darker-Red Controls, Darkest-Grey Window borders and Darkest-Red Desktop.

I've added watches for new releases on github so should be notified by email of new releases from now on. Click on the thumbnail for full size image:

EDIT - Found an issue using Darker-Red with Yellow Icons in Synaptic where toolbar icons for search, apply etc. where not visible which is why I tried Yellow-Dark. But then problem with that is some lighter things like icons in Timeshift then show as symbolic. So I have switched to Base-Red Controls and Yellow icons which still looks bang on and works much better. Not your problem to address though, my dodgy initial choices caused it ;)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

antikythera wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:24 am [...]
EDIT - Found an issue using Darker-Red with Yellow Icons in Synaptic where toolbar icons for search, apply etc. where not visible which is why I tried Yellow-Dark. But then problem with that is some lighter things like icons in Timeshift then show as symbolic. So I have switched to Base-Red Controls and Yellow icons which still looks bang on and works much better. Not your problem to address though, my dodgy initial choices caused it ;)
These colourful forks are renamed "Mint-Yz" and are build as separate packages. I felt that people would be less hesitant to install a new package instead of having to replace the original Mint-Y package. There is another advantage to that. This way, you can always compare with the original Mint-Y from the official repository. I tried your colour combinations of dark icons and darker controls with the official Mint-Y themes and icons and i ended up having the same issue in Timeshift. So i suggest you open up an issue with this on the main https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-y-icons/issues if not already done. And then the fix would eventually be pulled into Mint-Yz. Also, i should try to create a PPA, one day, maybe. So you would get all these changes automatically.

Using the dark icons in combination with the darker or darkest controls is the logical way to go. In fact, there is no difference between, say, Yellow and Yellow-Dark icons except, precisely, those little symbolic icons found in toolbars such as the one for your Synaptic. Technically, all those Mint-Yz-COLOUR and Mint-Yz-COLOUR-dark are the same except that they inherit from Mint-Yz-Old-Dark where there are differences in /usr/share/icons/Mint-Yz-Old-Dark/actions/16 and /usr/share/icons/Mint-Yz-Old-Dark/actions/22. Again, this is the same thing as in the official Mint-Y from the upstream repository. It should be mentioned somewhere that the dark versions of the icons are there to be matched with the darker or darkest versions of the themes. Luckily, you found this by yourself. Your initial choices were good, but there is something a bit awkward with Timeshift when combined with "dark" icons and "darker" themes.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I knew how to pair icon themes appropriately to Darker or Dark as opposed to normal or 'base' as you have cleverly named it :)

I will definitely consider opening an upstream bug but will have to consider carefully how to present and word it. I'm also not quite sure whether or not to request they consider a Darker icon set, what do you think about that option? I believe it could be a case of simply editing the index for the icon theme but maybe I'm over-simplifying what could actually be far more complex.

The reason being the Synaptic application highlighted the problem when using the 'base' or normal light icon theme with a Darker GTK theme (dark icons on the toolbar almost invisible). That made me try the Dark icons in the first place and only then I found the Timeshift snapshot icon issue. There may well be others but I didn't try all the applications out. So at present it affects more than one application either way you try and use the icon sets.

Hopefully the Mint team are more receptive than the Yaru developers because they were dismissive when I contacted them about random missing application category icons.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

antikythera wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:27 am [...]
I will definitely consider opening an upstream bug but will have to consider carefully how to present and word it. [...]
[...] There may well be others but I didn't try all the applications out. So at present it affects more than one application either way you try and use the icon sets.
[...]
Sorry, i did not take much time to think about this, yet. It is not "my" problem, but a problem with the upstream source: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-y-icons. As you said, you would "have to consider carefully how to present and word it." Because i think it is hard to say if this problem comes from the mint-y-icons... or some applications such as Timeshift!?

The only thing that is different from the "base" and the dark version of some Mint-Y[-COLOUR] icon set is in /usr/share/icons/Mint-Y-Dark/actions /16 and /22... Those "actions" icons are light in the dark themes and dark in the light themes. So, they are always well contrasted in the "base" themes where every background is light, and they are always well contrasted in the darkest themes where every background is dark. The problem arises in the "darker" themes, where the background should always be dark for toolbars, but can be light where some "actions" icons are displayed, such as in Timeshift...

To sum up, i can’t even tell for sure where you should put that issue: is it a problem with mint-y-icons, or is a problem with some applications? I am confused.

So, yes, maybe you should just "play safe" and avoid these "darker" themes... :)
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Thanks for the additional information, it's very much appreciated

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”