Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rachid1997
Level 1
Level 1

Customize the length of the desktop panel

Post by rachid1997 »

Hello Linux Mint ,

How can I change the length of the panel, highlighted in red in the image, to make it smaller, in the middle of the screen
I only did it once by accident , but I can't remember how, although I tried many times after that.

Please help explain the steps for customizing the length of the icon panel .

Thank you
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Customize the length of the desktop panel

Post by deck_luck »

Which desktop environment are you using? If you do not know it, please post the output from the following command:

Code: Select all

echo "$(lsb_release -sd) ${DESKTOP_SESSION}"
I know for sure you can modify the length when using the XFCE desktop environment, and I actually use one as a dock. If you can let the forum know which desktop environment you are running, I am sure you will get your answer.
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
rachid1997
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rachid1997 »

Thank you very much for your help, if you don't know how to do this on cinnamon desktop environment, please explain to me the customization steps on the XFCE desktop environment,

maybe I will change the desktop environment if I can't customize the current environment
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

Right click on the panel and switch on Panel Edit mode. Click Panel Settings, then adjust the height of the panel, (I assume meant height not length,). Don't forget to switch off Panel Edit mode afterwards.
Cliff Coggin
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:32 am
Right click on the panel and switch on Panel Edit mode. Click Panel Settings, then adjust the height of the panel, (I assume meant height not length,). Don't forget to switch off Panel Edit mode afterwards.
the OP wants a small dock-like panel and panel-edit mode does none of that. you can only move the slider up and down not left and right in cinnamon. cinnamon does not have this feature in it's default panel setting.
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

trytip wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:59 am
the OP wants a small dock-like panel
Really? That's not how I read the question. Let's see if he or she amplifies the request.
Cliff Coggin
SantaFe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SantaFe »

To make the panel shorter just:

1) Right click on the panel, click on panel then Panel Preferences. Uncheck Lock Panel.
2) If Automatically Increase the length is checked, uncheck it.
3) In the Measurements section look for Length (%), move the slider till the panel width is the size you want.
4) You can then click on the left side of the panel & move the panel to where you want it. ;) And don't forget to re check Lock Panel.

And being the doofus that I am, I didn't notice the Cinnamon Screenshot. I do Apologize! :o
Last edited by SantaFe on Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

SantaFe wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:13 pm

1) Right click on the panel, click on panel then Panel Preferences. Uncheck Lock Panel.
3) In the Measurements section look for Length (%), move the slider till the panel width is the size you want.
4) You can then click on the left side of the panel & move the panel to where you want it. ;) And don't forget to re check Lock Panel.
Are you using Cinnamon?
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
rachid1997
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rachid1997 »

cliffcoggin wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:54 pm
trytip wrote:
Really? That's not how I read the question. Let's see if he or she amplifies the request.
Yes, as cliffcoggin said

I want to change the length of the icon panel

small dock-like panel

What interface or environment do I need to download to find this feature?
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by motoryzen »

SantaFe wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:13 pm

-- Cinnamon 20's panel doesn't have a "Lock panel" option to check or uncheck. xfce, however, does.
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by motoryzen »

rachid1997 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:12 pm
cliffcoggin wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:54 pm
trytip wrote:
Yes, as cliffcoggin said

I want to change the length of the icon panel

small dock-like panel

What interface or environment do I need to download to find this feature?
--unless the Mint cinnamon team implements and update to allows this feature , you must either use xfce desktop, or install a dock-like application such as cairo-dock, plank, which are available in the Software Manager application within Mint Cinnamon. Beyond that, I haven't any more room to talk. --
rachid1997
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rachid1997 »

Thank you all

Although I prefer cinnamon, I downloaded the xfce environment, and I customized it as desired successfully.

I hope the linux mint team will also add this customization in future releases of cinnamon environment, Not only in xfce environment

Greetings to all

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”