[SOLVED] Where are the icons in Launcher Properties located?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flamewart
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Where are the icons in Launcher Properties located?

Post by Flamewart »

I'd like to retrieve some of the icons that are available to choose when creating a new launcher, but I haven't been able to find the folder that stores them. I'm interested because I'd like to copy and paste them for other uses.

To clarify, I mean the ones you can access by right clicking on the desktop --> Create a new launcher here --> Clicking on the rocket in Launcher Properties

This are the kind of icons I'm referring to, there are tons of them available:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Where are the icons in Launcher Properties located?

Post by ajgreeny »

The icons for use in launchers (.desktop files) are spread about in many system folders, though you can use an image from your home if you want.

Look in /usr/share/icons and its subfolders,. and also /usr/share/pixmaps
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

The other place you might find some is in /home/you/.local/share/icons. If you open the .desktop file you can see what icon (filename) the launcher is using.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Flamewart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Flamewart »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:10 pm The other place you might find some is in /home/you/.local/share/icons. If you open the .desktop file you can see what icon (filename) the launcher is using.
Edit: I misunderstood the second sentence of your message and got a bit confused by it, but the issue is solved anyways, thanks!
Last edited by Flamewart on Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flamewart
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Flamewart »

ajgreeny wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:43 pm The icons for use in launchers (.desktop files) are spread about in many system folders, though you can use an image from your home if you want.

Look in /usr/share/icons and its subfolders,. and also /usr/share/pixmaps
Thanks for the reply. Turns out most of the icons showing in the Launcher Properties are indeed scattered throughout the folders in /usr/share/icons (in my case, a lot come from the Papirus theme folder I installed). Anyway, I just realised that the easiest way to access the wanted icon is to open the / directory in Nemo and search there for the exact icon name that is showed in the "Choose an icon" window from the Launcher Properties.

I'll mark this thread as solved then, thanks again!

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”