Folder Icons in the panel became "Files" (Nemo) icons [SOLVED]

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moloch1994
Level 1
Level 1

Folder Icons in the panel became "Files" (Nemo) icons [SOLVED]

Post by Moloch1994 »

I just installed Mint 20.1. Prior to this I used 19.3, but did a fresh install now instead of upgrading.

Basically, in the panel, the icon for folders is now the Files/Nemo icon. Which in default themes is unnoticeable. But once you use any other theme, you get all kinds of weird icons for it, like the drawer icon on Adwaita, the envelope on Deepin icons, and many icon packs use Apple's file manager icon. How do I reset this back to folder icons?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: Folder Icons in the panel became "Files" (Nemo) icons.

Post by LanceM »

Try Silk for a theme and set the rest to look like this:
2.jpg
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Erased. Wrong topic.
Last edited by LanceM on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

How do I reset this back to folder icons?
There may be an easier way, but...

Search through all the icons files in usr/share/icons for the theme you are using and locate the icon being used for the the file manager and replace it with the default icon from the standard mint-y theme.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Moloch1994
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moloch1994 »

This is not a theme-exclusive problem. Sure, some themes use folder icon for Files/Nemo, but MOST don't. So this either limits me in the amount of themes I could use (which isn't that big as it is), or I must customize the files icon in EVERY SINGLE theme out there. When this is a problem that could be solved easily by the devs, and in fact was no present in the older versions.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Open home folder, enable hidden by pressing ctrl+h. Find folder .themes, open it and delete all content. Reboot PC.
Moloch1994
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moloch1994 »

LanceM wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:58 pm Open home folder, enable hidden by pressing ctrl+h. Find folder .themes, open it and delete all content. Reboot PC.
That's just gonna delete all my themes. There isn't anything else in that folder besides the themes.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

They are the problem. To test, save them to a flash drive or on your desktop so you can put them back.
Last edited by LanceM on Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penn

Post by Penn »

Depending on the theme - place/24 or 24/places. Create a link for the image (I think your looking for folder.svg) you want to use <ctrl-M> or under the edit menu. Name that link "system-file-manager.svg" . If your folder icon is png instead of svg you may have to make the link .png extension but creating the link will just assign the same extension as the file.

Repeat this process for all sizes.

Been a long time since I tried to help anyone. Hope this works.
Moloch1994
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moloch1994 »

Penn wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:30 pm Depending on the theme - place/24 or 24/places. Create a link for the image (I think your looking for folder.svg) you want to use <ctrl-M> or under the edit menu. Name that link "system-file-manager.svg" . If your folder icon is png instead of svg you may have to make the link .png extension but creating the link will just assign the same extension as the file.

Repeat this process for all sizes.

Been a long time since I tried to help anyone. Hope this works.
Isn't there an easier way than customizing it for each individual theme? I mean on Mint 19.3 everything was fine. This is Mint 20's issue. Somewhere within Cinnamon, the Files icon is assigned to the Folder icon slot. We just gotta fix that one thing, and it'll fix it over ALL themes. I just hoped somebody would've pointed me to where that thing is located.
Moloch1994
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moloch1994 »

LanceM wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:03 pm They are the problem. To test, save them to a flash drive or on your desktop so you can put them back.
They aren't the problem. I WANT to use custom themes. You're telling me to stick to the default ones?
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

They aren't the problem. I WANT to use custom themes. You're telling me to stick to the default ones?
Unless you find a solution, the ones included in System Settings, seem to be the logical route. I only add smurmoph's Mint-Y-Dark-VBB because I like the larger close button in the upper right.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

What desktop are you using ? Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce ?
What follows are instructions for the Cinnamon desktop.
Others are similar, but maybe not exactly the same.

STORY:

Before Mint 20.1, the icon for the File manager was the same as the one for a regular folder: Icon=folder
Since Mint 20.1, the icon for the File manager is different: Icon=system-file-manager

Now, in the standard Mint-Y icon themes, for every sizes in every theme places/, there is a symlink made like this:

Code: Select all

ln -s folder.png system-file-manager.png
You could do this for every size in every theme. I think i have a script to automate this. But i believe you are asking for something more simple, quick, and universal. Try this then:

SIMPLE WORK-AROUND:
  1. Right-click on Menu > Configure > Menu tab
  2. Click on "Open the menu editor"
  3. Select Accessories > Files
  4. Click on Properties
  5. Click on the icon in these Launcher Properties
  6. Search for "folder" and choose "folder"
  7. Click on Select, then OK, then close all the other windows
HOW-TO REVERT:
If you want to go back to the standard Mint 20.1, just repeat all these steps, but, in the icon chooser in Launcher Properties, search for "system-file-manager" and choose "system-file-manager".

Tell us when your problem is solved.
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Moloch1994
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Moloch1994 »

sebastjava wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:02 am What desktop are you using ? Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce ?
What follows are instructions for the Cinnamon desktop.
Others are similar, but maybe not exactly the same.

STORY:

Before Mint 20.1, the icon for the File manager was the same as the one for a regular folder: Icon=folder
Since Mint 20.1, the icon for the File manager is different: Icon=system-file-manager

Now, in the standard Mint-Y icon themes, for every sizes in every theme places/, there is a symlink made like this:

Code: Select all

ln -s folder.png system-file-manager.png
You could do this for every size in every theme. I think i have a script to automate this. But i believe you are asking for something more simple, quick, and universal. Try this then:

SIMPLE WORK-AROUND:
  1. Right-click on Menu > Configure > Menu tab
  2. Click on "Open the menu editor"
  3. Select Accessories > Files
  4. Click on Properties
  5. Click on the icon in these Launcher Properties
  6. Search for "folder" and choose "folder"
  7. Click on Select, then OK, then close all the other windows
HOW-TO REVERT:
If you want to go back to the standard Mint 20.1, just repeat all these steps, but, in the icon chooser in Launcher Properties, search for "system-file-manager" and choose "system-file-manager".

Tell us when your problem is solved.
I'm on Cinnamon, and the solution WORKED! Thank you very much, sebastjava. I'll mark the post SOLVED.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”