Mint-Y-Aqua sometimes still green...

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Mint-Y-Aqua sometimes still green...

Post by tpprynn »

I think this minor but annoying issue stems from transparency used in gtk3 themes, as maybe it wasn't easy/ possible to trace the digits that needed altering, but I'm seeing a few green 'minty' buttons using the Mint-Y-Aqua theme which using other themes like Adwaita or Arc are in synch with the rest of the colours. Mint-Y-Aqua is otherwise to my eyes the most professional-looking theme on the desktop for many years, even seem against its parent Arc. Is there a way of correcting the flaw?

7ba545/ 8dad62 green

6caecb aqua

I went looking through the files hoping to make this change, but of course it's mostly not six digits now but three and the transparency alpha. Is there a way of converting the six digits?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint-Y-Aqua sometimes still green...

Post by Mick-Cork »

tpprynn wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:05 am
I went looking through the files hoping to make this change, but of course it's mostly not six digits now but three and the transparency alpha. Is there a way of converting the six digits?

Thanks.
If I understand you correctly, you're looking to convert hex codes to their RGB equivalent. There's a number of sites online that will do this, here's a couple, either of which should help:

https://www.rgbtohex.net/hextorgb/
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/col ... o-rgb.html
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Have you tried SebastJava's Mint-YZ-Aqua? It may work better. Also, just in case the applications affected are Qt instead of GTK, you have to set the icon theme in Qt5 Settings too or it will carry on using the green Mint-Y icons for Qt applications.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

That is strange. I had a problem (now solved) with my Mint-Yz-icons just a few days ago. Using Mint-Yz-Aqua icons, the file manager icon was displayed in Mint-Y green colour. That was because that icon name changed with the Mint 20.1 release. The file manager icon name is now system-file-manager as opposed to just folder as it was before. But here i am writing about problems i had before with some icons and it seems your problem is different. You are talking about GTK themes. All i wanted to say is that, with colour variations in icon themes, such as Mint-Y-Aqua, there is an Inherits=Mint-Y,Adwaita,gnome,hicolor in the index.theme. So, when a specific icon name cannot be found, the system falls back to the green Mint-Y icons...

But here you are talking about the GTK themes, not the icons. That is different. I don’t know what is going on.
  1. Are you sure the problem is with GTK 3, not GTK 2 ?
  2. What buttons, for which applications ?
  3. Can you post a screenshot ?
  4. What is your distro ? Mint Cinnamon, Mint MATE, Mint Xfce, or some other ?
  5. What is your distro version ? 20.1 ?
The problem could be hiding in the gtk.css file, or it could be some png file in the assets directory.

You could try to apt reinstall mint-themes?

Please let us know when this problem is solved...
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Apologies, I wandered off and was using another machine and a couple of Raspberry Pi's... If anyone's still there I attach a screenshot.

(I did find a Mint-YZ theme but not the Aqua variation so I haven't tried that yet.)

I'm on Mint 19.3, Cinnamon 4.4.8, and have also tried the theme with Debian 10.2 and 10.6 (Cinnamon and LXDE), but I think I remember things being the same with Mint 20.1 Mate.
Screenshot from 2021-02-14 08-48-59.png
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

1. Oh, you were talking about this "Save as" button... Well, sorry but it was meant to be displayed with this green color. Check this https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-theme ... olors.scss. This line: $suggested_color: #6db442; As you can see, some applications will emphasize some buttons by displaying them with some specific colors, regardless of what theme color you choose... Another example: my "Logout" button is always displayed in red, for whatever Mint-Yz-COLOR variations i choose.
tpprynn wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:17 am [...]
(I did find a Mint-Yz theme but not the Aqua variation so I haven't tried that yet.)
2. Just like the latest Mint-Y, the Mint-Yz is a group of themes in different colors. Just go to https://github.com/SebastJava/mint-yz-theme and follow the Installation instructions... That’s 11 different colors in 3 different variants: light, darker and darkest. This makes 33 different themes, all included in one little Debian package.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

So, again, i am not sure this is a good idea. This green color is not a mistake, it was intended to be that way. But, if you really want to change this, i did a quick test and succeeded in doing so...

I did this only for GTK 3. I replaced all occurrences of $suggested_color with $selected_bg_color. Not the variable names but the #HEX values. Directly in the ~/.themes/Mint-Y-Aqua/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file. This is some sort of hacking... When i want to test things, i start by making a copy into ~/.themes directory, so i can mess around without using "sudo" or opening as root. So it is not really dangerous... Here is what i did:
  1. In Nemo, go to View and select "Show hidden files"
  2. Duplicate /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Aqua into ~/.themes/
  3. Open ~/.themes/Mint-Y-Aqua/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file
  4. Replace all occurrences of #6db442 with #6cabcd
  5. Save
  6. Go to Menu > Preferences > Themes > Controls: switch to Mint-Y and then back to Mint-Y-Aqua again to refresh
Now, your "Save as" buttons should be made of the "standard" Aqua color.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tpprynn »

Hello and thanks.

I did consider this and wondered about it. As it's intentional that's fine, I get it - and it does me and my capacity almost for obsession in this sort of area some good, to have some solid evidence like this, so I appreciate your replies. I used to do theming myself but it wasn't good for my health to continue... (On my Debian machines I use the old Thin Ice or Mist themes but there is a tiny little triangle of blue on one button that I want to study so that I can 'correct' it - I imagine I will have to learn to hack the source of the engine. Ideally I wouldn't care or notice but sadly I do...)

The screenshot was one example. Another was visible when using Nautilus and looking at properties of a file, where I think the green was still present instead of aqua. I fully understand that Nautilus is outside of a Mint concern as we're using Nemo but I had thought the Mint colour had recurred in a few places. I may have remembered this wrong but I had thought other themes like Adwaita stuck to their schemes in this sort of area. I suppose that is the choice of the individual theme creator. I can see the logic of colour variations to denote various things.

I like the results of your suggested amendment and have additionally used this on the Debian-equipped laptop of a person in my "Covid Bubble". But by all means disregard my opinion, I wouldn't want to lead any conscientious themer down the rabbit hole...

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

tpprynn wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:21 am [...] The screenshot was one example. Another was visible when using Nautilus and looking at properties of a file, where I think the green was still present instead of aqua. [...] the Mint colour had recurred in a few places. [...]
Oh, yes, i forgot. I only looked at Mint-Y-Aqua/gtk-3.0/gtk.css. If you are still seeing some green colors, maybe that comes from this old Mint-Y-Aqua/gtk-2.0/ directory. Somewhere in there. Sorry, but yes, this feels like going "down the rabbit hole..." I can’t help you much with GTK-2. I you still find some green colors, you should check if your application is still using GTK-2. And if so, you could try searching through this old Mint-Y-Aqua/gtk-2.0/ directory.

It makes a difference to know that that green isn't a mistake, but you may still want to change it. I think the key to understand what is going on is to get the exact #HEX value of whatever green button you find. For this you can use a color picker. Looking at your OP, it seems you already figured that out. You were talking about #7ba545 and #8dad62 greens. I don’t know where these come from. On the other hand, looking at your screenshot with this "Save as" button, this was an easy one. That’s a #6DB442. This #HEX value comes from the $suggested_color, as explained before. So this one is not a mistake. But you may still want to change it. Changing this one was easy, in GTK-3. It is a standard six digit #HEX value, and i just had to do an automated "replace", using Xed text editor. You should use a simple text editor such as Xed for this kind of operations. Not a big word processor like LibreOffice.

Now, if you still find some green colors somewhere, maybe this comes from some GTK-2 file. And i don’t know if you could search and replace these colors using standard #HEX values...

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”