Linux Mint 20.1 (Cinnamon): Changing Desktop Backgrounds

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint 20.1 (Cinnamon): Changing Desktop Backgrounds

Post by FenderGuy »

I changed the background on our laptop FROM Bookwood 4000x2251 TO Sele 3840x2160, via Menu > Preferences > Backgrounds.

I have now decided that I really like Bookwood 4000x2251 better; however, when I click on Bookwood 4000x2251, then restart the laptop. the background doesn't change! Arrggghhhh! What am I not doing correctly?

Thanks for the help, guys.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Linux Mint 21.3 (Cinnamon)
Rescuezilla 2.4.2 (Focal)
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 (Cinnamon): Changing Desktop Backgrounds

Post by Moonstone Man »

FenderGuy wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:38 pm What am I not doing correctly?
When settings don't stick, it's usually down to someone messing around, doing things that should not be done, in their home directory as the root user.

The first thing to try is to open a terminal, which will default to your home directory, and issue this command:

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER *
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:47 pm
When settings don't stick, it's usually down to someone messing around, doing things that should not be done, in their home directory as the root user.

The first thing to try is to open a terminal, which will default to your home directory, and issue this command:

Okay, typed your command, then changed background back to BOOKWOOD and rebooted the computer. Boots briefly to SELE background, then changes to BOOKWOOD. :(
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

FenderGuy wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:31 am Okay, typed your command, then changed background back to BOOKWOOD and rebooted the computer. Boots briefly to SELE background, then changes to BOOKWOOD. :(
It sounds like your video card is holding an image in one if its framebuffers. I can only suggest that you shutdown then booot to see if you get the right image. Beyond that, I'm afraid I'm not going to be much use to you.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:47 pm

Kadaitcha Man, does this command do something, or is it simply informational?

Thanks.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

FenderGuy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:09 pm sudo chown -R $USER:$USER *

If it were informational, it would have a hash at the front. I also don't see the point in telling you to enter a command that does nothing.

The command changes the ownership of all the files in your home directory to the currently logged in user, namely you.

One other thing you can try is to create a new account and check to see if the problem persists in that new account. If it does then there is a problem with your system somewhere, and if it doesn't then the problem is with your personal settings.
FenderGuy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by FenderGuy »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:29 pm
FenderGuy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:09 pm sudo chown -R $USER:$USER *

If it were informational, it would have a hash at the front. I also don't see the point in telling you to enter a command that does nothing.

The command changes the ownership of all the files in your home directory to the currently logged in user, namely you.

One other thing you can try is to create a new account and check to see if the problem persists in that new account. If it does then there is a problem with your system somewhere, and if it doesn't then the problem is with your personal settings.
Thanks (I think), Kadaitcha Man. 😉

Will try your suggestions.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

FenderGuy wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:13 pm Thanks (I think) ...
Don't doubt it. If I thought that your question was rude or in some way impertinent or discourteous, I would have expressed my displeasure and absolutely would not have offered additional information that might assist you :)

The forum, as a collective, likes to believe that there are no stupid questions. I too believe that to be true however I am firmly convinced that while there may be no stupid questions, there most certainly are stupid answers.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”