How to change icons?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gugalcrom123
Level 3
Level 3

How to change icons?

Post by gugalcrom123 »

I am not talking about the menu icon. I want to create a icon theme (folders, files, etc.).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
New logo suggestion by me

My website
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to change icons?

Post by sebastjava »

Do you really want to "create" a new icon theme!?
Creating a new icon theme is a complex, long journey. Choosing another icon theme takes just a few mouse clicks.

The exact procedure to change your icon theme varies depending on your distro: Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce? Anyway, just click on Menu and search for Themes or Appearance. There is a limited choice of icon themes already there. Depending on your distro, you probably can click on Add/Remove to download more. Or search for "icons" in your Menu > Software manager. Or just take a chance and download from "unofficial" sources like https://www.pling.com/browse/cat/132/ord/latest/. And so on.
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

The "easiest" way for customisation is to copy an existing icon theme, give that theme a new name and replace the folder icons with your own creations (which still would be around 100 graphics to create, various folder types in various sizes). All the colour variants of the Mint-X and Mint-Y icon themes are created this way; to save place, only the main themes (those with the green folders) have all the full icons besides the folders. Using the "inherits" statement in the "index.theme" file allows you to do the same with your own custom theme; if, for instance you take the gnome icon theme as base and only change the folder icons (maybe some other ones, too), you can still have a full icon set by making yours inherit said gnome icons.

But, as I said that still would mean you have to create at least dozens of custom icons. If you really just want to try some new icon themes, there are plenty of them out there.
gugalcrom123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gugalcrom123 »

Thanks!
New logo suggestion by me

My website
bracknelson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bracknelson »

You can either run cinnamon menu editor in terminal or navigate to Menu – Right-click – Configure – Menu – Open the menu editor. (Note the link at bottom of first section – Layout and content – of the window.)

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”