Custom Login Wallpaper Not Displaying (LM 20.1 Cinnamon)

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VixyHox
Level 1
Level 1

Custom Login Wallpaper Not Displaying (LM 20.1 Cinnamon)

Post by VixyHox »

Hello all.

So I have been having an issue with the login wallpaper (not the lock screen). If I select a wallpaper that is default with linux mint, it displays fine. If I select an image that I downloaded, it just stays as a black screen (can of course navigate and login, just can't see the wallpaper).

My home directory is encrypted, so I copy my backgrounds directly to the folder where the default wallpapers are kept. I do so with the following command:

sudo cp Pictures/Backgrounds/filename /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint/

This copies the file to the folder, and I can select the image, but when I logout, the new chosen image doesn't work. I've tried looking at other solutions covering this, tried copying to the /opt/ folder, but still nothing displays. Tried turning off and on "Draw user backgrounds", still not working.

I'm really at a loss of what else to do here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
VixyHox
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Custom Login Wallpaper Not Displaying (LM 20.1 Cinnamon)

Post by VixyHox »

With a lot more digging around, I ended up figuring the issue, and don't I feel silly.

It's simply a permission issue with the file. The file did not have enough permissions for the system to be able to display on the login.

To fix it, I just gave the same permissions as the other default background images.

In case anyone else has struggled with this, just go to your terminal and use the following command:

sudo chmod 644 /path/to/file/filename

The 644 is the permission value of the default login/background images. Set your personal images to that value and ensure the files are not in your home folder if you encrypt it. Either put them in /usr/share/backgrounds, or make a background folder in /etc/ and store them there.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”