Would like to move the gui login screen to center.

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lodin
Level 1
Level 1

Would like to move the gui login screen to center.

Post by lodin »

Hello guys. I can't believe I can't find a answer to this on google and/or this site. I just want to move my login prompt from all the way on the far left to the center of the screen. I have a 4k TV for monitor and its driving me nuts. I have just installed Linux Mint 20 with the MATE desktop. Any help would be appreciated. I bet there is some 3rd party program I could install to give me more control of the GUI but I would like to do it manually if possible. I am trying to learn more about Linux in general. Thanks again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Would like to move the gui login screen to center.

Post by Termy »

A quick search online led me here:

https://www.technipages.com/linux-mint- ... gin-window

Dunno if it'll be of any use, but there it is.

WARNING: The following is more advanced and may yield undesired results.

If this is bothering you too much and GDM (which apparently is what MATE uses) is not working out for you, you could consider a different Display Manager (AKA: the login screen), but be sure you fully back your system up before doing any experimenting, as you could potentially bork your setup a bit — nothing too serious, though. Something like CloneZilla would be preferred, but if I understand what Timeshift is, you can probably use that.

I recommend LightDM; it's the go-to for many Linux users, myself included, and seems to play well with various desktop environments. There'll be guides for all this stuff all over the web, so I recommend doing your due diligence before diving in.

If you have already backed up and are ready to experiment, you can install and enable LightDM with these commands, which I recommend copy-pasting to ensure no typos:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends lightdm
sudo apt-get install lightdm-gtk-greeter{,-settings}
sudo systemctl enable lightdm && sudo systemctl disable --now gdm
That'll probably log you out immediately, but failing that, just restart. If LightDM plays well with MATE, and GDM isn't stubborn, you should see the standard LightDM theme. It's really easy to configure LightDM. I just edit '/etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf', but you'll probably want to use the settings window for the GTK Greeter, which should've been installed above. The "settings window" is lightdm-gtk-greeter-settings, if you can't find it, but remember it'll need root access. There's one with -pkexec on the end, which you might find useful.

If you want to undo the above commands and hope not to restore from the backup, you should be able to just do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove lightdm{,-gtk-greeter{,-settings}}
sudo systemctl enable gdm && sudo systemctl disable --now lightdm
If you have any issues, just restart. Failing that, restore from the backup.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Mintmann
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Would like to move the gui login screen to center.

Post by Mintmann »

lodin wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:36 pm Hello guys. I can't believe I can't find a answer to this on google and/or this site. I just want to move my login prompt from all the way on the far left to the center of the screen. I have a 4k TV for monitor and its driving me nuts. I have just installed Linux Mint 20 with the MATE desktop. Any help would be appreciated. I bet there is some 3rd party program I could install to give me more control of the GUI but I would like to do it manually if possible. I am trying to learn more about Linux in general. Thanks again.
If you figure this out please post what you did to get the login moved to the middle of the screen.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”