[RESOLVED] where to read about colour codes and gtk-3.0

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

[RESOLVED] where to read about colour codes and gtk-3.0

Post by bill_steamshovel »

Hello,

I just changed all of my desktop fonts to a reddish colour by following the instructions here viewtopic.php?t=245198

Where do I go to learn a bit more about the colour codes please, I tried googling and just got confusing results.

Can I customise other things in that directory ? Did some googling and got horribly confused .... what do I need to read to learn more please ?

Thanks

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: where to read about colour codes and gtk-3.0

Post by AndyMH »

Install gcolor3 (color picker) from software manager, it's a flatpak so takes some space (I use gcolor2), it will give you a colour wheel and show you the colour codes.

If running cinnamon, there is also a color picker applet which will let you click on any area of the screen and tell you what the colour codes are.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

bill_steamshovel wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:28 amWhere do I go to learn a bit more about the colour codes please, I tried googling and just got confusing results.
This file shows the hex color codes for various colors (which you can often reference by name):

Code: Select all

/usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
If you don't want to install a flatpak (I never would), run gimp and look at the color picker; generally only RGB values are used to define colors in GUIs, each value can be 0 to 255, or 00 to FF (same numbers but in hex - labeled "HTML notation" in the pic) or 0. to 1.; HSV and such aren't used, etc.
color-picker.jpg
color-picker.jpg (17.3 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
If you look in your $HOME/.bashrc file you'll see a completely barbaric way of defining colors that I associate with punch cards and which you'll hopefully never have to deal with:
[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you don't want to install a flatpak (I never would)
I don't, which is why I've got gcolor2, but you have to pull the deb out of bionic.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
michael-hi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by michael-hi »

There is also a colour picker actually within Google (just google hex colour picker). It has a slider thingy which you can move to select a colour, and then click on a large rectangle above to adjust it brighter or darker. It will then show you the precise hex code for that colour underneath. This will be # followed by six characters in the range 0-9 and a-f. Conversely you can type in here any hex code you like and it will show you the colour it represents.

On the other hand the advantage of installing gcolor2 or gcolor3 is that it also gives you a tool (dropper icon) which enables you to click on any colour on your desktop to identify it. You can also save colours.

The MATE desktop already has an equivalent colour picker in its menu.

You can customise lots of things by putting code into the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file which will then override the existing setting for that particular item. However, you need to know the precise wording (css code) which identifies whatever it is and stipulates the aspect of it to be changed: eg color, background-color, font-size, font-weight, text-shadow, min-width or whatever. Information on all this is rather scattered and it is best to do a google search for whatever you want to alter and then experiment.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If you mean HTML color codes, this site has served me well:

HTML color codes and names
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [RESOLVED] where to read about colour codes and gtk-3.0

Post by bill_steamshovel »

All fixed thankyou.

Thanks very much for all the tips. Have now got my desktop font colour nicely contrasted with the background and will start further exploration of what I can tweak in gtk-3.0

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”