Solved: Mint 20.1 Unable change Nemo BG colors in Cinnamox Heather theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintefrsh
Level 2
Level 2

Solved: Mint 20.1 Unable change Nemo BG colors in Cinnamox Heather theme

Post by mintefrsh »

Unable to find the rules in Cinnamox Heather Cinnamon theme, in Mint 20.1 to change Nemo background.
Not sure if it's because the latest Cinnamox version I see was listed compatible w/ Cinnamon 4.6??
Mint 20 has Cinnamon 4.8.6.

In 18.1, the sidebar and main file pane BGs were controlled by 2 different rules. Not necessarily close to each other.
I don't find the same worded selectors for Nemo in this latest Cinnamox Heather as in the one for Mint 18.1.

It's doable using one of the Mint-X themes from Mint 20.1, but trying to use rules from a Mint-X theme that will change Nemo UI & plugging it into a Cinnamox theme may not work well. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintefrsh
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Solved: Mint 20.1 Unable change Nemo BG colors in Cinnamox Heather theme

Post by mintefrsh »

Well, boys & g (lots of girls use Linux, right?).
EDIT- Useful Info: I should've pointed out, that if you're using Cinnamon DE AND if a theme you want to try contains "cinnamon.css" (likely under a "cinnamon" folder, editing that cinnamon.css may be the easiest way to edit objects that are controlled by Cinnamon DE.

That said, it may also depend on the theme. How much code is in the theme's Cinnamon.css, relating to objects you want to style.
You can always add CSS rules to any theme, if you can find examples for correct Selectors, properties & proper syntax - e.g., from other themes.
END EDIT **********************************************************************************************************

Anyway, I found a slightly later version of Cinnamox Heather, released on 8/1/2020, said was compatible w/ Cinnamon 4.6 (not Mint 20), & I may find glitches, using it w/ Cinnamon 4.8.6.

But, in Mint 20.1, these 2 rules change many backgrounds of Nemo, many Gtk 3.0 & 3.20 apps, Thunderbird BGs, Fx bookmark library BG & more. But WAIT! You'll likely have to change both Gtk files, to affect more apps.
From the Cinnamox Gtk-3.0/gtk.css file:

Code: Select all

.view, GtkHTML {
   background-color: Pink;
   color: #0c1419; }

From the Gtk-3.20/gtk.css file:

.view, iconview,
.view text,
iconview text,
textview text {
  color: #0c1419;
  background-color: Pink; }
As you see, these don't jump out that they control BG colors in many windows & apps, besides the word 'background-color.' There are 100's of instances of 'background-color' in Cinnamox-Heather.

In Mint 20.x - Mint-X themes, in gtk-widgets.css, the code that controls many main BG areas of apps / windows, is at the end of the file:

.view,
.view text,
iconview,
iconview text,
textview text {
    background-color: @theme_base_color;
    color: @theme_text_color; }

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”