Cinnamon Weather Desklet Icon Showing Giant Question Mark

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
swagatopablo
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon Weather Desklet Icon Showing Giant Question Mark

Post by swagatopablo »

Using Mint Ulyana with Cinnamon and set up this weather desklet on desktop.
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/desklets/view/20

It is working, except for the weather icon, which (depending on icon theme) always has a giant question mark or N/A on top of it, god knows why.
Screenshot from 2021-09-17 13-52-43.png
Screenshot from 2021-09-17 13-52-43.png (118.81 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
Anyone used this desklet and know the solution to remove the annoying N/A mark? Do I have to pay for some service to remove it?

Also, just checked their github repository.
https://github.com/tipichris/bbcwx

Seems there has been no commit for past few years. Does it mean the project is dead? Anyone can suggest any alternative to this app?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon Weather Desklet Icon Showing Giant Question Mark

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

swagatopablo wrote:Anyone can suggest any alternative to this app?
For sure,this applet is one of the better ones.
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/17
swagatopablo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swagatopablo »

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, even though it (your suggestion) is an applet on the panel, not a desklet (what the question asks). Is there any other desklet?
tipichris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tipichris »

I'm guessing your source of data is the BBC. The BBC changed it's weather provider a few years ago, and since that change their feed does not include current weather for most locations. The work around is to uncheck 'Current weather and icon' in the config of optional items to display. Or use a different source of weather data. I have to confess, though, that I haven't been keeping on top of other data sources. It's quite possible that some of those have changed in recent years and no longer work.
Gruppo Sportivo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gruppo Sportivo »

swagatopablo wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 am (your suggestion) is an applet on the panel, not a desklet (what the question asks).
That is correct,but you also asked for an alternative and applet weather@mockturtl is a reliable and well maintained one
swagatopablo wrote:Is there any other desklet?
Maybe clocket a desklet that displays time,date,currenty and forecast weather report is something for you.
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/desklets/view/59
swagatopablo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swagatopablo »

tipichris wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:34 am I'm guessing your source of data is the BBC. The BBC changed it's weather provider a few years ago, and since that change their feed does not include current weather for most locations. The work around is to uncheck 'Current weather and icon' in the config of optional items to display. Or use a different source of weather data. I have to confess, though, that I haven't been keeping on top of other data sources. It's quite possible that some of those have changed in recent years and no longer work.
Worked perfectly for me, with the openweather data provider. Thanks.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”