Is it possible to change a single icon on Linux Mint?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
anewbie
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to change a single icon on Linux Mint?

Post by anewbie »

Extending what I said on title that I had to compress due to the length: is there a way that I can manually change only one icon from a customized selected theme on my Desktop (in my case, Mint-Y - green), and specifically the desktop icon used to hide everything and show only the desktop: Image

tldr: how do I manually change only the desktop icon used to hide everything and show only the desktop to another one which I made?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Is it possible to change a single icon on Linux Mint?

Post by JTJersey »

Shouldn't you be able to right click the icon, select Properties, click on the icons image on the left of the pop up window and select any icon you want from there?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

oh yes,
I hate the newer versions of the Firefox icon, it is horrific to look at.

So, I captured the original one and massaged it a bit, and it it is on my Panel and Menu

icons.png

FirefoxMenu.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

All the icons you see are in /usr/share/icons. Find it and change it. Any changes you make may be overwritten by a subsequent update.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

anewbie wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:59 pm Extending what I said on title that I had to compress due to the length: is there a way that I can manually change only one icon from a customized selected theme on my Desktop (in my case, Mint-Y - green), and specifically the desktop icon used to hide everything and show only the desktop: Image

tldr: how do I manually change only the desktop icon used to hide everything and show only the desktop to another one which I made?
In general, you can replace the icons of applications with alternative ones: in practically all Linux desktops this works by right-clicking on the icon > select Properties > in the Properties window click on the icon and in the opening dialog box navigate to the desired alternative icon and select and save the desired one.

I don't quite understand your question about the desktop. Here, with jumps to the desktop, total displays of all open windows and the available workspaces, different desktops behave quite differently in the setting options.

Please specify the desktop you are using.
valouch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by valouch »

@anewbie
As you (and anyone who tried it) already know, Show Desktop is system function and its icon cannot be changed using rightclick.
You have two options:

1. Change all icon files user-desktop.png and one scalable icon file user-desktop-symbolic.svg in your modded icon theme (derived from Y)
...there should be 16+1 files of these names there so replacing/editing them can be an annoyance; however the change is permanent.

2. Modify code of the show-desktop applet so it will use different icons; be prepared to make the change again after (infrequent) updates. This method is Cinnamon-only, I don't use mate/xfce. An example:

- select the icon(s) which you like; it must be in .png format, must have needed resolution variants and it must be located in your modded icon theme; suppose you choose preferences-desktop-wallpaper.png file(s)

- open the applet code in editor
sudo xed /usr/share/cinnamon/applets/show-desktop@cinnamon.org/applet.js
(I don't care about the admin:// syntax)

- find the line
this.set_applet_icon_name("user-desktop");

- replace it with
this.set_applet_icon_name("preferences-desktop-wallpaper");
(without .png extension)

- save & reboot.

a.png
a.png (7.04 KiB) Viewed 5316 times
Last edited by valouch on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
igmint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by igmint »

how manually change only the desktop icon used to hide everything
Image user-desktop.png
/usr/share/icons/Mint-Y/places/16/ user-desktop.png
/usr/share/icons/Mint-Y/places/22/ user-desktop.png
/usr/share/icons/Mint-Y/places/24/ user-desktop.png
translated by googlemachine. UTC+3:00
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

<deleted>Not as obvious.
Last edited by vanadium on Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:49 pm All the icons you see are in /usr/share/icons. Find it and change it. Any changes you make may be overwritten by a subsequent update.
So far,
my FF icon has not been touched with the normal Security Updates on 19.3

LM20.2 has the horrible version, not messing with that until I am forced to use it as my Daily Driver OS
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
dollyp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dollyp »

Sorry if I'm butting into this thread, but I've tried to change the Libreoffice icon as well as the Firefox one by right clicking but I don't get an option 'properties' to change the icon as suggested earlier in this thread. Instead I get 'preferences' (amongst other options) which leads to options to change 'grouped window list'.

Regards
David
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

If you want to change a program icon in the panel, right-click on the icon and select > Edit. The Launcher Properties window appears and you can make the change.

juicer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by juicer »

dollyp wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:12 am Sorry if I'm butting into this thread, but I've tried to change the Libreoffice icon as well as the Firefox one by right clicking but I don't get an option 'properties' to change the icon as suggested earlier in this thread. Instead I get 'preferences' (amongst other options) which leads to options to change 'grouped window list'.

Regards
David
same here
Water invented man as a means of transportation.
valouch
Level 2
Level 2

Post by valouch »

dollyp & juicer:
Menu - Preferences - Welcome Screen - First Steps - Panel Layout - select Traditional
and you will get the Edit option.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”