RE: Seeking Further LM Creative Customizations For The Menu?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
montecarlo1987
Level 1
Level 1

RE: Seeking Further LM Creative Customizations For The Menu?

Post by montecarlo1987 »

Hello. Nice to meet you all! I am a new Linux Mint user!

I am glad I am now using Linus Mint 20.2 using the Cinnamon version 64-bit on an older Lenovo T510 laptop. It runs great! I have been using Windows OS since Windows 2000 up to Windows 10 and all versions in between including Windows Me. I have used Ubuntu years ago often customizing that distro to my liking, but never really appreciated it for some reason. Maybe due to the fact, the layout was not to my liking. No matter how much you tried to customize it, it never looked right. I have recently decided to also try Zorin OS and rated that to my needs as a close 2nd, but I see it lacks any simple inherent user-modifiable menu customizations that I know of (except the Zorin OS emblem can be customized) where the menu of Linux Mint does have that ability through an editor to make some customizations to the Linux Menu menu. However, this leads to my questions for you regarding Linux Mint for I have yet to find any methods to do these things...

1. Is there a way to create within the menu a new customizable "All Applications" category (including adding the appropriate corresponding icon) in the vertical panel under "All Applications" ("Accessories", "Graphics", "Internet", etc.)? If yes, what is the process to do this? Please describe the steps in detail, please.

2. If yes for question number 1 above, then how do you go about adding apps and programs installed of course to be associated with the newly created "All Applications" category created from question number 1 above? This would be the far-right vertical list of apps and programs in the main menu that would be made applicable to the new customizable "All Applications" category. Please provide the detailed steps for this process, please.

3. Can you add this newly created "All Applications" category (or for that matter any of the existing "All Applications" categories) to the vertical Favorites bar on the far left side inside the menu? If yes, then how is that done? Please provide detailed steps.

Please reply. Thank you! Nice meeting you all again!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Re: RE: Seeking Further LM Creative Customizations For The Menu?

Post by legacypowers »

montecarlo1987 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:45 pm Hello. Nice to meet you all! I am a new Linux Mint user!

I am glad I am now using Linus Mint 20.2 using the Cinnamon version 64-bit on an older Lenovo T510 laptop. It runs great! I have been using Windows OS since Windows 2000 up to Windows 10 and all versions in between including Windows Me. I have used Ubuntu years ago often customizing that distro to my liking, but never really appreciated it for some reason. Maybe due to the fact, the layout was not to my liking. No matter how much you tried to customize it, it never looked right. I have recently decided to also try Zorin OS and rated that to my needs as a close 2nd, but I see it lacks any simple inherent user-modifiable menu customizations that I know of (except the Zorin OS emblem can be customized) where the menu of Linux Mint does have that ability through an editor to make some customizations to the Linux Menu menu. However, this leads to my questions for you regarding Linux Mint for I have yet to find any methods to do these things...

1. Is there a way to create within the menu a new customizable "All Applications" category (including adding the appropriate corresponding icon) in the vertical panel under "All Applications" ("Accessories", "Graphics", "Internet", etc.)? If yes, what is the process to do this? Please describe the steps in detail, please.

2. If yes for question number 1 above, then how do you go about adding apps and programs installed of course to be associated with the newly created "All Applications" category created from question number 1 above? This would be the far-right vertical list of apps and programs in the main menu that would be made applicable to the new customizable "All Applications" category. Please provide the detailed steps for this process, please.

3. Can you add this newly created "All Applications" category (or for that matter any of the existing "All Applications" categories) to the vertical Favorites bar on the far left side inside the menu? If yes, then how is that done? Please provide detailed steps.

Please reply. Thank you! Nice meeting you all again!
1- sure, the default menu on cinnamon has an option to configure it with some customizations, that screen also have the menu editor, if the one already installed don't fit the bill, you can download others from the Applets screen(Right-click on the panel, choose Applets), if it don't exists then i think you have two options, the first is doing it yourself by coding your own menu, the second is asking for someone to do it.

2- the menu editor(described above) allow you to put whatever you like into a category.

3- With the default menu i don't think so, but i might be wrong(it wouldn't be the first time)
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”