Setting non-light window titlebar with light application theme

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
attah
Level 1
Level 1

Setting non-light window titlebar with light application theme

Post by attah »

I consider this to be a duplicate of viewtopic.php?f=211&t=378511, but was not allowed to post this there. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just upgraded to 21 (really smooth, kudos!), but i just can't get used to the new non-choice in theming.

I am a simple man and just want to match my window titles to the (dark) taskbar.
I.e. i want my window titlebars to be distinct from the menu bar, tab row, or whatever come below, since they are different things and work very differently.

For some reason the terminal, and only the terminal, has a black titlebar (but also an entirely dark window, just not console bg)... weird.

I wouldn't be completely against going full darkmode, but many applications will just never adapt, and the mix looks so bad i have given up.
So chalk one more up to the "i'm not happy with this change".

Are there any suggestions on what a workaround might involve?
Should GTK themes with distinct titlebars be able to exist - do you know of any?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bluedxca93
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Setting non-light window titlebar with light application theme

Post by bluedxca93 »

Do you want to do the same thing as i did it here: viewtopic.php?f=211&t=378786

on luna?
It is the titlebar that you need to use
background-color: black; color:white.

You need to load an addtitonal css stylesheet and or modify the scss source code.
attah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by attah »

More or less, yes, minus all the other fancy bits.
Is loading an additional stylesheet easy? Does it "just work"(tm) globally?
Or am i better off forking mint-themes properly?
bluedxca93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluedxca93 »

You need to edit the Stylesheets. Maybe it works Putting an import window borders CSS at theend of the sassc generated CSS.

Default , titlebar , headerbar.titlebar and titlebutton , Decoration are some Keywords. _common.scss contains the Code.. You need to create a .themes Filder in your Home directory.
There you need to put your theme that it goes as ~/.themes/yourtheme/gtk-3.0 "/gtk-2.0.

For Mint themes you need to use the Code found here
https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-theme ... src/Mint-Y

Parse-sass.sh sassc compiles the theme.only If its compiles youll See Changes. Rename the theme Folder for your Home directory theme.

. If you want i can Take a Look at it,but i guess you want to Change it yourself.
attah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by attah »

Right, yes. I took a quick look yesterday, but had even more intricate problems, such as text on inactive windows going missing even if i copied a theme to .theme from /usr/share/themes/
I did try flipping a few color vs background-color pairs in that copy in a few sections saying titlebar, but to no avail (just more minor breakages).

I won't have time to look more deeply in to it for another couple days unfortunately, so if you do, that would be much appreciated!
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

attah wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:12 pm ...had even more intricate problems, such as text on inactive windows going missing...
Are you talking about the window title?
Are you trying to modify the latest Mint-Y theme, the one for LM 21, or are you working on some other, older theme?

Now, in LM 21, ALL window borders are a part of the GTK theme. Before, most window borders were created in Metacity. Metacity is not being used anymore. So, AFAIK, old themes made of GTK / Metacity combinations won't work correctly anymore.
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
attah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by attah »

sebastjava wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:54 pm Are you talking about the window title?
Yes, including its background (thus i call it -bar to not risk confusion with just the textual title).
sebastjava wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:54 pm Are you trying to modify the latest Mint-Y theme, the one for LM 21
Yes, one copied off/usr/share/themes/ on that same Mint 21 install
sebastjava wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:54 pm Now, in LM 21, ALL window borders are a part of the GTK theme. Before, most window borders were created in Metacity. Metacity is not being used anymore. So, AFAIK, old themes made of GTK / Metacity combinations won't work correctly anymore.
Indeed, and that is the problem.
...but it's fine if we can just figure out how to achieve the same (or something at least acceptable) in GTK.
bluedxca93
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bluedxca93 »

attah
Level 1
Level 1

Post by attah »

You absolute hero!
One slight issue is that it only seems to work for non-fullscreen/maximized.

Will you please publish this to GitHub and cinnamon-spices?
If not, let me know your starting point, and i can perform the git magic.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”