[Cinnamon] Where to customize the "control icons" on the left part of the Start Menu?

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enriquec
Level 1
Level 1

[Cinnamon] Where to customize the "control icons" on the left part of the Start Menu?

Post by enriquec »

Hi all,

I couldn't find the files for customizing the icons (web browser, software manager, settings, terminal, files, lock screen, logout, shutdown) on the left part of the start menu - Want to change/delete some of them... the cinnamon-menu-editor seems only able to customize the applications menu? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [Cinnamon] Where to customize the "control icons" on the left part of the Start Menu?

Post by Moem »

To delete them, drag them towards the rest of the main menu.
Similarly, to add one, drag it into the Favourites (that is what that left section of the main menu is called).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
surfer57
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Cinnamon] Where to customize the "control icons" on the left part of the Start Menu?

Post by surfer57 »

enriquec wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:35 am Hi all,

I couldn't find the files for customizing the icons (web browser, software manager, settings, terminal, files, lock screen, logout, shutdown) on the left part of the start menu - Want to change/delete some of them... the cinnamon-menu-editor seems only able to customize the applications menu? Thanks!

How to Add or Remove Items from the Favorites Bar

To remove an item such as Firefox from the favorites bar, simply click and drag the icon into the rest of the start menu. Similarly, add a new item, click and drag it from the start menu into the favorites bar. https://www.technipages.com/linux-mint- ... rites-menu
Restrictive EULAs launched the search for the perfect alternative. So, yeah, thanks for that..........
enriquec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by enriquec »

Thank you all!

I guess my not-knowing-the-correct-name-of-the-bar led me no Google results to what I tried to do...
choochooal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by choochooal »

All of the appearance of icons comes form the icon theme you use. Most are okay, but some themes like Mint-X in 20.3 have horrible icons. The close, logout, switch user icons look so much the same.

These icons are in the icon theme. So picking a different them will/can fix that. I found a good theme and have change a lot of the icons to suit me, including those 3.
https://github.com/ChooChooAl/AKiconsB can be downloaded with the code button. Put all the files in the zip into a folder call AKiconsB and put that folder in ~/.icons

If you don't like it just change themes. Themes like this are the least destructive thing you can do but can give you a lot of cool results.
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64-bit. Dual boot with Windows 10

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”