Mint 21 desktop icons, position

Style your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eliasw4u
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 21 desktop icons, position

Post by eliasw4u »

The question is simple. How do i set mint 21 with cinnamon to position new desktop icons at the bottom instead of the top.

The reason is more involved. I have a conky set to the top left corner. New icons are placed under this conky, and thereby unreachable from the desktop. I literally have to open the file manager to access them.

The most logical solution is "icons=bottom left/right" ......... But how!?

I have searched for weeks, please advise.

Elias,
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Mint 21 desktop icons, position

Post by AZgl1800 »

to me, the obvious solution is to move Conky out of the way, and let Mint Desktop work like it should
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
eliasw4u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eliasw4u »

Sighh,,,,,,,,

First off, that conky has been used in ALL of my systems for the last ten(10) years.

Secondly, I have a 48 inch monitor that sets slightly above eye level, The top left corner is farthest away from my old eyes, making hard to read icons in that corner. But having a huge conky clock in that location works perfect for me. It also forces me to set icons at the bottom of the screen, which is closest to me.

Lastly, the appeal of Linux is that it is free, and completely modular. "How it is supposed to" is however each individual needs it to.

P.S.
you didn't answer my question. aren't condescending responses technically trolling?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Is there no way to set the icons to be placed at the bottom in Mint Cinnamon 21?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You could go into the conky .rc file and set the vertical position of your clock down a few pixels
if you prefer horizontal icons along the top, or towards the right if you like vertical icon alignment.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

eliasw4u wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:38 pm Sighh,,,,,,,,

First off, that conky has been used in ALL of my systems for the last ten(10) years.

Secondly, I have a 48 inch monitor that sets slightly above eye level, The top left corner is farthest away from my old eyes, making hard to read icons in that corner. But having a huge conky clock in that location works perfect for me. It also forces me to set icons at the bottom of the screen, which is closest to me.

Lastly, the appeal of Linux is that it is free, and completely modular. "How it is supposed to" is however each individual needs it to.

P.S.
you didn't answer my question. aren't condescending responses technically trolling?

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Is there no way to set the icons to be placed at the bottom in Mint Cinnamon 21?
I was not being condescending, I tried Conky a while back, and to my 80 year old eyes, it is wasteful of Desktop space.

and yes, I have the Clock on the Desktop on the Right Side 2/3rds of the way down from the top.

I too, have a 34 inch Desktop PC Monitor, but it has not been used much in the last 5 years, I have found that I enjoy a laptop a lot more, and it has a 17 inch screen, which is about like a 34 inch screen that is set back 36 inches on a table.

I just looked and the Answer is NO, for the Default Menus available in Cinnamon.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

As far as I am aware it is possible..

Right mouse click in a blank area of your Desktop - select Customise.
Turn off Auto-arrange.
Drag & drop icons to where-ever you like..

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

RIH wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:04 am As far as I am aware it is possible..

Turn off Auto-arrange.
I do that also, just assumed the PO wanted them to Default to the lower left corner?
new icon always go to the Top Left and then I drag them where I want them
eliasw4u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eliasw4u »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:25 am
I was not being condescending,

Then I owe you an apology. I must have read the reply wrong. Often times it is difficult to know a persons intent when reading their text. because words are only 10% of human communication. 60% body language, 30% tone, those are missing in here so we have to guess. I apologize, I was wrong.
Last edited by eliasw4u on Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
eliasw4u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eliasw4u »

RIH wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:04 am As far as I am aware it is possible..

Turn off Auto-arrange.

Thank you for the response.

That was the first thing i did in this journey. The problem is that the Icons are placed under the conky and unreachable with the mouse courser. what I have to do to get them to the bottom of the screen is open Nemo, navigate to the Desktop folder, then from Nemo drag and drop to the bottom actual desktop. and this works, but brings my work flow to a snails crawl.

Ubuntu has the option to position new icons at the bottom. I assumed that because Mint is a branch of Ubuntu, and Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome that it would also.

I am more than familiar with CLI, and spend most of my time in a terminal. If someone knows where the script or file is that controls this i could simply edit that. but i was hoping for a click through method for the sake of everyone else. If that is not an option CLI is fine.
eliasw4u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eliasw4u »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:30 am

I do that also, just assumed the PO wanted them to Default to the lower left corner?
new icon always go to the Top Left and then I drag them where I want them
yes, actually just the bottom. Left or Right, as long as they are reachable with the mouse. Even the upper right side of the screen would work. Bottom/Right would be best, but the others would work also.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I wish our Emoticons were better, so they could be used to elucidate what we mean :?

what I write today, looks different to me tomorrow.... :(
my fingers run ahead of my brain way too often..... :oops: :oops:
a problem with us older Touch Typists who don't look at what is on the screen :roll:
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

eliasw4u wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:59 am Thank you for the response.

That was the first thing i did in this journey. The problem is that the Icons are placed under the conky and unreachable with the mouse courser. what I have to do to get them to the bottom of the screen is open Nemo, navigate to the Desktop folder, then from Nemo drag and drop to the bottom actual desktop. and this works, but brings my work flow to a snails crawl.

Ubuntu has the option to position new icons at the bottom. I assumed that because Mint is a branch of Ubuntu, and Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome that it would also.

I am more than familiar with CLI, and spend most of my time in a terminal. If someone knows where the script or file is that controls this i could simply edit that. but i was hoping for a click through method for the sake of everyone else. If that is not an option CLI is fine.
How about shut down conky temporarily? Then you can move all icons quickly.
eliasw4u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eliasw4u »

billyswong wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:22 am

How about shut down conky temporarily? Then you can move all icons quickly.
Whenever i am in the terminal and notice the icons i do that. But most of the time, (95%) i am pulling a file from a web browser or mail server usually with the mouse. Most of the time when this issue arises, i am not in the terminal. Though sometimes i do "killall conky" just to breakup the monotony. or from sheer frustration. But my wife uses it as a wall clock, so she fusses at me after a while. This is also why it can not be moved, or taken down. After all, "Happy wife, Happy life"
But yes that is a little faster, IF i have a terminal open beforehand. These are somewhat functional work arounds, but i am looking for the fix.

thank you for your input. because i forgot to mention that was another work around i do.
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Hey, I get another workaround idea:

Fill the area that conky covered with dummy items. So whenever new files / links / icons being generated in desktop, they will only appear outside the conky area.
eliasw4u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eliasw4u »

billyswong wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:33 pm Hey, I get another workaround idea:

Fill the area that conky covered with dummy items. So whenever new files / links / icons being generated in desktop, they will only appear outside the conky area.
though is sounds silly on the surface, it is actually an interesting idea. and by way of workarounds it has the potential to be the best. i will try it and report back.
thank you for your idea.

lets not forget that i am looking for an actual fix, and i know a single command in a single line of code tells cinnamon to place icons in the top left. and by changing that simple placement command, my problem could be fixed. the issue is that i don't know what file it is in.
but again, thank you for your idea
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

eliasw4u wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:46 am though is sounds silly on the surface, it is actually an interesting idea. and by way of workarounds it has the potential to be the best. i will try it and report back.
thank you for your idea.

lets not forget that i am looking for an actual fix, and i know a single command in a single line of code tells cinnamon to place icons in the top left. and by changing that simple placement command, my problem could be fixed. the issue is that i don't know what file it is in.
but again, thank you for your idea
I have less hope of "actual fix". I've seen too many stupidity of things being hard coded just because a developer thinks hardcoding is good enough.
vanadium
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vanadium »

There appears to be no option for automatic placement of icons in a different corner. The current Ubuntu desktop does have that now: there is an exposed setting for where to place new icons (Top Left or Right or Bottom Left or Right).

This would be a valid feature request to the developers of the Cinnamon desktop - actually to the developers of Nemo, that handles desktop icons. Likely, such feature request may be already out there.

Return to “Themes, Icons & Wallpaper”