Cinnamon Themes

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Moem
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cinnamon Themes

Post by Moem » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 am

idle wrote:if you want it complete like the author intended you need the icon set called: Paper Icon Set.
Oh my, that is very nice, thank you!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Ozo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ozo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 am

elbullazul wrote:Here's mine :

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes/view/500

Here's a picture :

I click the link but Cinnamon Spices says the theme is not there. I have been looking for a transparent menu like that.

Would someone please supply the code for adjusting transparency of the menu. The code supplied earlier in this thread does not work for me. Thanks. :)

EDIT: oops, I see that is a very old post and have since found that a transparent theme is already there in 18.3 Cinnamon. It is called Cinnamox-Cinnamon-Transparent. However it is not working for me yet .

EDIT: Cinnamox has several new themes on 18.5 and some have a semi-transparent Menu Panel. They are well worth the wait as they are executed well. The Cinnamox- Aubergene-Transparent theme is now my favorite theme with Eleganse as a close second.
Last edited by Ozo on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ozo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ozo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:54 pm

I like the Elaganse Theme`which has a dark menu but with a lot of transparency. I add the transparent panel and get a pleasing effect. It is very easy to read no matter the background although there are some backgrounds that do look a little odd behind the menu. This "readability" is due to the letters being lit up in white virtually eliminating the "hard to read" complaint.

The HIGHLIGHT when hovering is white but hard to see until you click on the image twice. The Favorites list has just a simple white frame no color. The nearly useless search bar is black which subdues it nicely. If you look close you will see the entire menu has a thin border. This is a really well thought out and executed theme.

The current date highlight on the calendar is pretty weak but is visible so...

This is in normal scale. The one above is double scale (on a 40" monitor). Click twice for best view.

Of course I add my own twist. Here is my selection of theme elements from different sources.. All the green on this frame is from the Cinnamox-Willow-Grove "Controls", and the unique metallic border top is from the Cruz Theme (Window Borders).

Here is that page (Themes) with the different elements as shown. You can get it in black too. Still the Eleganse theme. This puppy will toast your corneas if screen brightness is high and its in full screen.

idle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by idle » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Moem wrote:
idle wrote:if you want it complete like the author intended you need the icon set called: Paper Icon Set.
Oh my, that is very nice, thank you!
How cool is this theme! So glad for this thread that lead me to discover the matching icon set for it. Very happy with how my Mint is looking. Kudos to all! :D

smurphos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by smurphos » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 am

Hey all,

I've updated the existing Cinnamox Themes and added 4 more to the family. All available in your Themes App or via Cinnamon-Spices.
All have a Cinnamon Theme, Metacity theme (titlebar and window borders), GTK 3.18 (for Mint 18.x) and GTK 3.22 (for other Cinnamon using distros and hopefully more-or less Mint 19 ready)

Headline new features are

1) End-user adjustable transparency of the Cinnamon Theme (see below for instructions and screenshots)
2) Title bar (and header bar on Gnome/CSD apps) background colour now vary with window focus

Newbies.....

Aubergine - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... -Aubergine

Heather - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... ox-Heather

Rosso-Cursa - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... osso-Cursa

Zanah - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... amox-Zanah

The older siblings.....

Kashmir-Blue - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... shmir-Blue

Gold Spice - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... Gold-Spice

Rhino - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... amox-Rhino

Willow-Grove - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... llow-Grove

So adjustable transparency?

Each theme includes a small interactive bash script that allows end users to adjust the transparency of the Cinnamon Theme. The default is no transparency. Once a theme is installed to access the tool open a terminal window (Ctrl-Alt-T) and use the following command to make the script executable and launch it, replacing <THEMENAME> with the actual theme name.

chmod +x ~/.themes/<THEMENAME>/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency && ~/.themes/<THEMENAME>/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency

If you are not happy with the end result simply run ~/.themes/<THEMENAME>/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency again to chose another option including the default.

So for example if I wanted to try a transparent version of Aubergine I'd use chmod +x ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Aubergine/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency && ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Aubergine/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency for the first run or ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Aubergine/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency for subsequent runs.

Output will this...

Code: Select all

steve@steve-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC ~ $ chmod +x ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Aubergine/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency && ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Aubergine/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency
Hello steve, this script allows you to set the transparency of Cinnamox-Aubergine.
The current transparency of Cinnamox-Aubergine is No transparency.
Select a alternative transparency level by selecting 1, 2, or 3 and then press enter,
or select 4 and press enter to quit.
1) Low transparency	  3) High transparency
2) Moderate transparency  4) Quit
#? 1
Theme updated!
Now activating Cinnamox-Aubergine - Low transparency.
Press enter to exit the script.
steve@steve-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC ~ $ ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Aubergine/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency
Hello steve, this script allows you to set the transparency of Cinnamox-Aubergine.
The current transparency of Cinnamox-Aubergine is Low transparency.
Select a alternative transparency level by selecting 1, 2, or 3 and then press enter,
1) No transparency	  3) High transparency
2) Moderate transparency  4) Quit
#? 2
Theme updated!
Now activating Cinnamox-Aubergine - Moderate transparency.
steve@steve-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC ~ $ ~/.themes/Cinnamox-Aubergine/cinnamon/cinnamox_transparency
The current transparency of Cinnamox-Aubergine is Moderate transparency.
1) No transparency    3) High transparency
2) Low transparency   4) Quit
#? 3
Theme updated!
Now activating Cinnamox-Aubergine - High transparency.
Here is Aubergine - High transparency

Kashmir-Blue - High transparency

Enjoy - if you like and use them don't forget to give them a star on Cinnamon-Spices.

Ozo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ozo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 am

Wow, just what I was looking for. The transparency is a great feature even though many simply hate it. I love it which just goes to show how personal themes are like colors. One loves pink, the other not so much. Actually I was looking for a transparent Menu panel but this is only semi-transparent after installing one but the added color options are great

There is an aspect of themes on Mint many do not know about. That is the ability of Buttons themes to provide color to backgrounds. I used Cinnamox-Zanah (green) and Cinnamox-Kashmir (blue) to give these colors which is independent of a theme. In this case it is not a Cinnamox theme. Oddly the backgrounds are not all the same shade.

For those who have read this far, a theme tip. Right click the panel and select themes from the pop up. Click the arrow top left to enter System Settings if you want. I have Themes pinned to my panel because I go there so much right now.

Last edited by Ozo on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

smurphos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by smurphos » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:57 am

Ozo wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 am
Wow, just what I was looking for. The transparency is a great feature even though many simply hate it. I love it which just goes to show how personal themes are like colors. One loves pink, the other not so much. Actually I was looking for a transparent Menu panel but this is only semi-transparent after installing one but the added color options are great
Glad you like them Ozo.

I've got a few ideas to improve the transparency option for a future update. It currently works by a simple replace of colour codes throughout the theme with transparent equivalents and the theme base design (particularly the alternating gradient directions in the menu) does not lend itself to ending up with a uniform transparency. However I had a bright idea last night of using comments in the theme code to tag certain elements to be made 100% transparent by the script which should allow for a uniformly transparent menu option. Watch this space - It'll be a week or two probably.....don't have much spare time on my hands.....

Ozo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ozo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:10 pm

I was hesitant to try these because I thought they would be a repeat of other colored themes but was pleasantly surprised. The Aubergine-transparent theme is fun and the colors are not shocking as you might think. After a short time it has become one of my favorite themes. The attention to detail is quite noticeable. I will give all of the new themes an honest look and suggest others to pull yourselves out of that rut and do the same. :mrgreen:
EDIT; I just loaded Cinnamox-Heather and then copied/pasted the code into the terminal for the transparent version . I do have the Extension Transparent panels installed and the lower panel is truly transparant.

I now have a blue them :D

Last edited by Ozo on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ozo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ozo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm

I looked up the definition of Aubergine. It is a British term for Eggplant, Ha. I now have an Eggplant colored theme :D

EDIT; I think the calendar in Cinnamox-Aubergine-Transparent is excellent. It is quite transparent as you can see but not totally transparent. That is double scale by the way. The clock is the Clock desklet and without decoration has no background. That is set in General Desklet Settings.

One other thing I noticed about this theme is that the panel behavior is better. The active items are in boxes and when many are there it is not so confusing. The box backgrounds are very nice with color animation which can not be shown here. Even the pop up boxes on hovering have the same rounded corner frames and nice transparency too. The volume and panel clock are nearly invisible on most backgrounds but on hovering light right up which really cleans up the panel appearance.

The menu panel is interesting. It has multiple frames.which makes it look like individual boxes overlaying one another as each has different transparency. Well done.

The Theme Master (is that the right title?) has chosen to use orange for highlighting (right term?) which is a creative touch and the button color fades which adds much to the aesthetic appeal.

And no, I do not really use this photo as desktop background.

Even VLC player gets a facelift when the GTK+ option is selected in VLC's Interface Settings.
EDIT: I have a hand picked slideshow of various purple wallpapers running which complement the Aubergene color scheme (Orange and Purple)

I have bumped this up to #1 on my list of favorite themes. The dark theme Eleganse has slipped to second. Cinnamox-Aubergene-Transparent is really smooth and pleasing to use day to day. There are many things I like even the small things as in this photo. The orange is highlight when the printer is clicked and is much brighter in real life.
Still, I installed Controls as Cinnamox-Heather instead of Aubergene so the backgrounds are blue instead of purple. I still like the Menu Panel etc. with the Aubergene theme colors. The Cinnamox author has posted that he will be adding full transparency so those colors too can be changed or rather eliminated. I do not know if that applies to just the panels of if it is more inclusive.

I have experimented with mixing colors and came up with a very colorful overall theme. While it is too much for daily use, I think it would appeal to children. See photo.

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”