installing Docky on Mint 21?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KS1
Level 2
Level 2

installing Docky on Mint 21?

Post by KS1 »

I really liked Docky but since installing Mint 21 Xfce its no longer available.
I understand it can be downloaded independently and installed from the .deb file. Could someone please point to where I can download it from and the installation procedure

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: installing Docky on Mint 21?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install docky  
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
KS1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KS1 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:29 pm

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:docky-core/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install docky  
Thanks for the reply. :)
Unfortunately I get this:

Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support jammy''
:?:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I don't know, sorry.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
KS1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KS1 »

This seems to be telling me what we already know, that Docky isnt supported by the latest release of Ubuntu/Mint.
Anyone know how to install manually?

A shame because I rather liked Docky and it worked well for me!
KS1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KS1 »

Well my conclusion based on the lack of replies here and lack of hits googling the issue is that Docky simply wont run on mint 21.

With that in mind I've started looking at alternatives and the one that stands out is Plank. If anyone would care to share their experiences of Plank I'd like to hear them. :)
aandmsantos0910
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aandmsantos0910 »

Docky has not been maintained since 2016.
| Samsung 34" Ultra Wide Monitor | CPU: Intel i5-1235U | RAM: 64GB | GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics | SSD: Kingston 500G M.2 | Arch Linux | Budgie DE |
InternetHero
Level 1
Level 1

Post by InternetHero »

I had the same problem ages ago. Docky seems abandoned unfortunately. The solution I can recommend is to use Plank instead, the functionality and interface are very similar. It took me only a couple of days to get used to Plank after Docky.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/docky
sudo apt update
Bleys
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bleys »

KS1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:31 pm With that in mind I've started looking at alternatives and the one that stands out is Plank. If anyone would care to share their experiences of Plank I'd like to hear them. :)
https://vimeo.com/793618665
Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB RAM, 2TB M.2 Crucial P3, Asrock Deskmeet X300, Samsung Odyssey 49", Linux Mint 21
signer-ink-beast
Level 1
Level 1

Post by signer-ink-beast »

I have been using Plank on my Linux Mint installation for a while now, and it works pretty well. Reminds me the most of Docky.

The only problem I've had found it a little finicky with what application shortcuts I can add to it, usually with flatpak apps, but its not consistent. I can add Discord and Remmina to the dock as a shortcut without problem, but not Calibre or Gimp. For instance, I have Calibre installed via flatpak. It shows up in the app menu just fine. I launch it from the menu, and the icon for it shows up in the dock just fine. Making sure my plank icons aren't locked, I right-click Calibre's icon in the dock, but I have no option to keep it in the dock. All I see is the option to close it. Not a deal-breaker for me, but strange.
Bleys
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Bleys »

signer-ink-beast wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:28 pm The only problem I've had found it a little finicky with what application shortcuts I can add to it, usually with flatpak apps, but its not consistent. I can add Discord and Remmina to the dock as a shortcut without problem, but not Calibre or Gimp.
You can add programs manually. Create e.g. a text file with name calibre.dockitem in:

~/.config/plank/dock1/launchers
content:

[PlankDockItemPreferences]
Launcher=file:///var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/applications/<flatpak_name>.desktop
Change <flatpak_name> to fit for calibre.

Restart Plank
Ryzen 5 5600G, 16GB RAM, 2TB M.2 Crucial P3, Asrock Deskmeet X300, Samsung Odyssey 49", Linux Mint 21

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”