How-to install & configure Conky and adding a theme???

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

How-to install & configure Conky and adding a theme???

Post by nomko »

Hi everybody,

Considering Conky, I'm a real noob here... I love this theme: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/try-this ... y-lua.html and i like to have this on my desktop. I'm running Mint14+Cinnamon.

Can someone provide me with a step-by-step guide on how to install, configure and add a theme??
Many thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
3fRI

Re: How-to install & configure Conky and adding a theme???

Post by 3fRI »

I followed the instructions from the link you provided. After rebooting, I went to Run Program in Menu and typed in Conky, hit the launch button, and it's there. I may do some minor tweaks, but the process was pretty straight forward. :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

3fRI wrote:I followed the instructions from the link you provided. After rebooting, I went to Run Program in Menu and typed in Conky, hit the launch button, and it's there. I may do some minor tweaks, but the process was pretty straight forward. :)
But i need it to run permanent after each (re)boot and with that nice theme.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Nomko,

Perhaps someone else can help you with getting it to launch when booting. I don't have a problem with launching it after I boot. Meanwhile, I edited the script so that I now have Home weather in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. :)

Good luck,
f
dcihon

Post by dcihon »

In Linux Mint, you can do the same in this way:

Go To Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications
Click the "Add" button.
Name a program.
Click the "Browse" button and navigate to File System where program is installed.
Select a program, click the "Open" button followed by the "Add" button.
The above program will then be listed in additional startup programs. Check if the program runs automatically by logging out and back to the system.

The above instructions might have to be tweaked but this should get you started.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install conky-all
Save the theme (.conkyrc) into your home directory, add conky to your startup apps, like dcihon said, by just typing conky into the application field.

That theme uses Lua, so there's a bit more configuration needed, which I've never messed with.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

d00med wrote:

Save the theme (.conkyrc) into your home directory, add conky to your startup apps, like dcihon said, by just typing conky into the application field.

That theme uses Lua, so there's a bit more configuration needed, which I've never messed with.
Hmmm...I've done what you suggest, but the conky doesn't appear when I reboot, but does when I launch it. As you also suggest, more configuration must be needed to include Lua, which I've never messed with either. :?:
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

For conky appear when reboot:

Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

First of all, thanks to those who've offered advice. :) Here's what's happening: When I boot, Conky appears as my wallpaper screen boots, but once the machine is fully booted, it disappears. If I want to see it, I then have to re-launch it. Yet, when I log out, the screen appears again during as the machine logs out! :? :roll:
nomko

Post by nomko »

d00med wrote:

Okay, i did this. No problems to report!
d00med wrote:Save the theme (.conkyrc) into your home directory,
Where can i find this???
d00med wrote:add conky to your startup apps, like dcihon said, by just typing conky into the application field.
This can be done by going to Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications and add conky by clicking the "Add" button and go to the folder where conky is installed. Won't be a problem
d00med wrote:That theme uses Lua, so there's a bit more configuration needed, which I've never messed with.
I love that theme a lot! But how to get this theme in conky?

i did managed to install this conky theme: http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=152516
nomko

Post by nomko »

Last edited by nomko on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Really??? sorry to tell you but that is a really ugly theme...
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

nomko wrote:
Really??? sorry to tell you but that is a really ugly theme...
Try this theme then. It's called Mintiolivia :roll: :roll: :

Installation:

1- Open a Terminal (Applications-Accesories-Terminal) and type:
sudo apt-get install conky-all lm-sensors.

2- Run: sudo sensors-detect (choose YES to all YES/no questions).

3- Run :service module-init-tools start
This will read the changes you made to /etc/modules, and insert the new modules into the kernel.

4- Download the file below(Mintolivia.zip) then extract it to your home folder.

5- For Linux Mint Mate edition (But not for Cinnamon ) open /home/.conkyrc and replace “own_window_type normal” with “ own_window_type override”.

6- Run in terminal : conky

Autostart:

1- Go to Startup Applications and add in the name box ”conky” and in the command box “/bin/sh /home/mint/.conky-startup.sh” . Logout
and login and hey presto your conky is running!

Remarks:

- For hddtemp run in terminal: apt-get install hddtemp
reboot and then run:
sudo nc localhost 763

- For Nvidia gpu temp run: apt-get install nvidia-settings

- To disable a section, add "#" at the beginning of the line(For quad/dual core processors add/remove "#" beginning of the core2,3,4 /For battery info add/remove "#" beginning of the battery line)

- To edit colours I refer you to http://www.graphviz.org/doc/info/colors.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11_color_names .

- To edit alignment use the following abbreviations: tl, tr, tm, bl, br, bm, ml, mm, mr (Which consecutively mean: top_left, top_right, top_middle, bottom_left, bottom_right, bottom_middle, middle_left, middle_middle, middle_right). You can also use gap_x ( Gap, in pixels, between right or left border of screen) and gap_y (Gap, in pixels, between top or bottom border of).

Feedback is more than welcome!

Thanks for using conky-LinuxMint!!!
nomko

Post by nomko »

Brahim wrote:..........
Sorry to tell you this, but it's a really ugly theme. I don't like it. Nice to see you like it, but i don't.
Thanks for your input anyway!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

Thought you said
Can someone provide me with a step-by-step guide on how to install, configure and add a theme
and that's how you install and configure a theme :D :D :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Brahim;

Cool conky theme!

Congratulations!
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

Nice! :D
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

3fRI,
Regarding your problem with conky on start up - it sounds like conky is starting okay, but later in the boot timing something (most likely desktop compositor) is coming up and forcing conky to turn off.

Try this.

Create a file named .conkydelay in your home directory along with the .conkyrc file containing the conky configuration you want to use. In .conkydelay put these two commands

sleep 10 && conky
Make both .conkyrc and .conkydelay executable by checking the box in Properties/Permissions.

In the start up apps list add Conky Delay with the command: "/home/your user name/.conkydelay".

Conky should start after a ten second delay. if ten seconds is too long or too short, adjust by changing th line

sleep 10
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

I am trying Conky from eyecandy for gnome, and conky blink and not run ; I will try turning-off composite...
LM 21 Cinnamon

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”