Conky on Mint

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Conky on Mint

Post by SiKing »

Hi.
Anyone using Conky on Mint (preferably Elyssa-main)? With no problems?
I have been trying for about a week (http://siking.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/ ... m-monitor/), but I still see some unexplainable small issues. The latest one, is that if I follow the Conky instructions and turn on the double buffers in Xorg, the mintUpdate icon is not visible in the notification area ...
TIA for sharing your experience.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Conky on Mint

Post by SiKing »

So I am wrong, the mintUpdate icon has nothing to do with having the double buffer loaded in Xorg. The only connection seems to be having both mintUpdate and Conky loaded at startup. If I turn off Conky, and load it up manually after everything starts up, then the mintUpdate icon shows correctly the whole time.
Anyone have a guess as to what the issue could be?
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

Just wondering if anyone else has tried Conky on Mint. I would be curious to know if you see any problems.
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

I've used conky, as have many other people if you take a look at the various "post your desktop threads". The only problem I found was an inherited upstream bug to do with not displaying "own_window_type desktop" properly.

How did you set conky to start automatically? I'm using LM6 not 5 but I had no problems just adding it to the sessions dialogue.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

No problem adding it to the sessions dialogue.
I still have a problem that when I first boot up and there is no network, Conky crashes - every time - even if I try to restart it manually. Once the WiFi starts up and connects, then I can just logout/login and Conky runs just fine after that. If I have my laptop connected to ether, then Conky never crashes.
Just odd.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

@ SiKing

Ive been using conky on my system which is Linux Mint 5 Elyssa KDE CE. I havent had any issues with it at all. Maybe you can try some of the different config files that users have posted on the web. If they dont work for you just delete them. Im not quite sure how this could be related to your wifi but I guess anything is possible and everything is definitely worth checking into. :)

I'll keep my eyes open though and if I find anything more that may help you I will post here........
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Start conky from a terminal and you should get an error returned on the crash. You should test the "repeated" crash after an initial boot up crash and also stop conky from auto-starting, boot up with no network and manually start to see if you get the same error.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

I have had some time to experiment with this today.

If I do not auto-start Conky and start it manually, it never crashes.

If I do auto-start Conky and I am on wireless, after a reboot it always crashes. Basically after gdm:
1. screen goes black
2. Conky start up and stops
3. more black screen
4. desktop (wallpaper) comes on, followed by toolbar, followed by the rest of my services...

If I do auto-start Conky, after a logout-login it always works!. After gdm:
1. screen goes black
2. Conky start up and stops
3. more black screen, but significantly less time than in case above
4. desktop (wallpaper) comes on with Conky running, followed by toolbar, followed by the rest of my services...

Could there be some sort of race condition? Conky expects the graphical system to already be up, but it is not (yet), and so it crashes?

TIA.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Sounds like it could be connected to the wireless.. possibly a bad configuration. I would recommend you do what pluraldave said. Turn off your wifi, then start conky through a terminal to get the error message.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

When it crashes it dumps out rather a lot of info. I uploaded the output as attachment here https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=757308
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slider »

Hi SiKing

Try commenting out the wifi part in your conkyrc file and see if that has any effect. Thats at least a place to start. You can try commenting different lines out one at a time by process of elimination. Note the output at terminal of each different try as well.

Maybe that will give us a clue if this really is connected to your wifi or possibly something else.............
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

Found the culprit! It's ${gw_ip}

Some additional info: Note my previous comment. When I use this minimal .conkyrc, while my system is starting up, just after login, when Conky briefly flashes by, I only see the word "failed". When my system starts up, then I can start up Conky manually and it runs fine.

So now what?

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”