Weather applet doesn't work anymore

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Weather applet doesn't work anymore

Post by Pjotr »

@ronsmeyer: strange, because it works for me. On several machines.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

Well what can I say. Right Click on a blank area of the panel -> + Add applets to the panel -> Available applets (online) -> Select Weather -> Click Install or Update selected items -> "An error occurred while trying to access the server. Please try again in a little while. Details: HTTP Error 404: Not Found"

Other available applets online will download and install but weather@mockturtl is not found. Why would my computer not be able to find just that one?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You have to load the applet into your system before you can move it to your panel.

Go to System Settings, Preferences, Applets, Available applets (on line), select Weather then "Install or update selected items".

Now you can add it to your panel.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

^^ Ummm kyphi...isn't that exactly what I said I did in the post just above yours? And when I click "Install or update selected items" it responds with a pop-up "An error occurred while trying to access the server. Please try again in a little while. Details: HTTP Error 404: Not Found"
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

No, that is not the same procedure that you described. The applet has to be downloaded and installed to your system before you can access it to use on the panel.

Go to System Settings, Preferences, Applets, Available applets (on line), select Weather then "Install or update selected items". Then access the "Installed applets" screen, highlight the Weather applet and click on "Add to panel".

If you get a 404 error then you would have to check your internet connection including any firewall. Also, open your Update Manager, Edit, Software Sources (give password), Maintenance and click on Fix MergeList Problems. Then update the cache.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

So alright I got to "Available applets (online)" through a slightly different pathway than you but after that I WAS doing the same thing; Trying to download it and install it to the system.

So after I did a cache refresh it proceeded to download and install the application. So either someone saw these posts and brought up the server or the cache refresh fixed something.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

In Linux operating systems command accuracy is everything.

You can thank the foresight of the Linux Mint development team for providing a maintenance section in the Update Manager. Remember to use it when you get update errors.

Can it be assumed that you now have the weather applet installed and functioning?
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
ronsmeyer
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ronsmeyer »

Yes, it is working now. Everyone is new sometime. I hate having to learn stuff the hard way. Thanks.
dw861
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dw861 »

Seeking assistance to get an older version of this applet to work again (say, version 1.7).
I've tried poking around at different times and using bits and pieces of the instructions for newer versions but with no success.
It probably doesn't help that I don't really know what I am doing.
Perhaps it is more work than it is worth? If so, then I will simply go without until the time comes to upgrade my Linux Mint 13, once it is no longer supported. Maybe there are not so many people running older versions of Cinnamon, and thus older versions of the applet?

Many thanks.
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

I'm looking at the same problem with the weather app. I'm still using Mint 17.3 Mate, and It was working fine up until two weeks ago, and then one day it just stopped updating the weather. I've tried everything suggested in this thread, but nothing has changed. I've never seen an app. just stop working that way before.

Oh, I forgot, the two other computers I use are both upgraded to Mint 18 Mate, and the weather app. quit working on them as well.
What was that code again?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Which weather applet are you using?

On both Linux Mint 17.3 and 18 Cinnamon, the weather applet by mockturtl works although I find it quite inaccurate and at odds with the information provided by Weatherzone which is pertinent.
Current version in LM 18 is v.1.13.5.

Please note that this applet is for Cinnamon.

Have you checked the WOEID?

For older versions see the archive at https://github.com/mockturtl/cinnamon-weather
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

It says it's by S. Papadimitriou and others. I just got it like I've always obtained it in Mint, by right clicking on a panel, and choosing it from a list of apps. I also like to use the "Force Quit" app. :)
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I like the "Force Quit" applet as well, mandoman, however, the applets for Cinnamon are not the same as those for Mate.

You could try one of the Desklets to display the weather.

There is a solution for Mate here: viewtopic.php?f=206&t=228340&start=40
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
mandoman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mandoman »

Okay, thanks. I guess I didn't realize this was just Cinnamon forum. I just ran a search for the topic, and failed to notice the context. Thanks again.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

mandoman wrote:I guess I didn't realize this was just Cinnamon forum.
That is not correct, this Forum is not just for Cinnamon users and is open to all Linux Mint users.

The original post and its replies related to a Cinnamon applet.

It is always helpful to indicate what desktop environment is being used, which is what you did but I was unaware that Cinnamon applets do not work in Mate and vice versa.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”