[Solved] conky problem with mint 18

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
niubboxp

[Solved] conky problem with mint 18

Post by niubboxp »

hi everyone
i've just installed mint 18 cinnamon and my conkyrc doesent work anymore

i've installed conky but instead to run on my desktop as previous mint versions does, conky open a new black window and run properly on this window

i've read on the web something changed from an older conky version, but i'm really noob so i dont really know what can i do

this is my conkyrc

Code: Select all

background yes
update_interval 1

cpu_avg_samples 2
net_avg_samples 2
temperature_unit celsius

double_buffer yes
no_buffers yes
text_buffer_size 2048
alignment middle_middle
gap_x -600
gap_y 200
minimum_size 550 550
maximum_width 550
own_window yes
own_window_type normal
own_window_transparent no
own_window_argb_visual yes
own_window_argb_value o
own_window_hints undecorate,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,below
border_inner_margin 0
border_outer_margin 0

draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
default_shade_color 112422

override_utf8_locale yes
use_xft yes
xftfont Feena Casual:size=8
xftalpha 1
uppercase yes

default_color D6D5D4
#F0B030
TEXT

${goto 35}${color #F0B030}${font Feena Casual:size=100}${time %H }${font Sawasdee, Oblique:size=37}${color D6D5D4}${time %A}#${color yellow}
${color D6D5D4}${goto 35}${voffset 55}${font Feena Casual:size=20}${time %d} ${font Feena Casual:size=45}${voffset -15}${time %B} ${font Feena Casual:size=20}${goto 65}${voffset 34}${time %Y}${font Feena Casual:size=100}${goto 155}${voffset 10}${color #F0B030}${time %M}${font Feena Casual:size=22}${color D6D5D4} ${time %P}

#${goto 60}${voffset -65}${font Feena Casual:size=23} ${time %A} |  #${time %B %d %Y}
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: conky problem with mint 18

Post by Pjotr »

The new Conky in Mint 18 uses a different kind of configuration, but it should be able to "translate" legacy Conky configurations. Apparently this "conversion" doesn't always work correctly. Not surprisingly, because in general, conversions often don't....

Bummer. The Conky devs have broken userspace for the sake of... what? :(
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jeffbr549

Post by jeffbr549 »

You need to change "undecorate" to "undecorated" in the following line..

"own_window_hints undecorate,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager,below"

that should do it...

Jeffbr549
niubboxp

Post by niubboxp »

jeffbr549 wrote:You need to change "undecorate" to "undecorated" in the following line..

that should do it...

Jeffbr549
thank you, now is not on windows but on desktop, but still have the black, is not trasparent, i think now i just need the trasparency tip and it should work

edit: i've tryed to edit the trasparent line with yes and now it work :D
jeffbr549

Re: [Solved] conky problem with mint 18

Post by jeffbr549 »

You're welcome... I've run across that problem many times running different distros in virtualbox.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I advise to convert the old Conky settings to the new Conky standard. Although the new Conky in Mint 18 promises to "translate" old settings internally to the new settings standard, such "translations" often aren't quite adequate.

I've created four prefab Conky configs which are fully standard compliant in the new Conky:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... forxubuntu
(item 3, right column)

You can use those as rough guideline for converting your own configuration. :)
but-it-does-move
Level 1
Level 1

Post by but-it-does-move »

Hi Pjotr. Could you please post a link to something that describes how to get Linux Mint 18 to convert old conky scripts to the new standard? I figure that even if it doesn't work well, it'll still give me a head start instead of converting my scripts completely by hand.

After I upgraded from Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit to Mint 18, my scripts are now a disaster; suddenly very little works after using the same conky scripts for years. I didn't know anything about the big changes to conky until now. I'm currently using conky version 1.10.1 and it looks like I've got a lot of reading to do on conky's github page.

TIA.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

but-it-does-move wrote:Hi Pjotr. Could you please post a link to something that describes how to get Linux Mint 18 to convert old conky scripts to the new standard? I figure that even if it doesn't work well, it'll still give me a head start instead of converting my scripts completely by hand.

After I upgraded from Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64 bit to Mint 18, my scripts are now a disaster; suddenly very little works after using the same conky scripts for years. I didn't know anything about the big changes to conky until now. I'm currently using conky version 1.10.1 and it looks like I've got a lot of reading to do on conky's github page.

TIA.
I know of no automatic convertor, but I advise to do the conversion by hand in any case. Only then you can be absolutely sure that all is as it should be.

The main changes are:

1. The configuration part needs the following layout:

conky.config = {
    xxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx
}
2. The text part needs this layout, but for the rest it can remain the same as in the old Conky:

conky.text = [[
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
]]
3. In the configuration part: yes => true, no => false

4. In the configuration part, every value but true / false / digits needs to be put between high comma's, 'like this'.

That's about it. You can use my prefab configs as quick reference. :)
but-it-does-move
Level 1
Level 1

OK, thanks. In addition to your sample scripts, I found /etc/conky/conky.conf as another example. It's mentioned at the end of man(1) conky under the FILES heading.

For others reading this, I found a lua script that will convert old conky scripts to new ones, albeit not flawlessly. Read about it here: https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wi ... .10-syntax
Haven't tried it yet, but will make a backup copy of any old conky script before I do try converting it to work with the new version of conky.

Lots to read about the new version of conky at https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wiki Good luck everybody!
altae

Post by altae »

If you install the package conky-all you'll find the lua script under /usr/share/doc/conky-all/convert.lua.
cRaWnEr

Post by cRaWnEr »

Hi people. I am fighting with conky too after updating to LM 18 XFCE.

I tried the script and now Conky Manager does not load my config, so I use my backup but with the 'undercorated' fix, but I have other problem. My conky draws rings showing percentages of CPU and that stuff but now it doesn't. Any solution?
but-it-does-move
Level 1
Level 1

I gave up on Conky 1.10.

Look at this http://coreygoldberg.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -back.html to go back to Conky 1.9 under Linux Mint 18 and have every conky thing work just like it used to with no pain and no change to your old conky files.

If you get an update to Conky 1.10 in the update manager, just right click on it and select the only option to blacklist Conky 1.10 from your update list.
Ranthe
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ranthe »

jeffbr549 wrote:You need to change "undecorate" to "undecorated" in the following line..

that should do it...

Jeffbr549
Thanks for this, I just upgraded from 17.3 to 18.1 this weekend and this fixed the issue I was having with my conky with the "appearing as a standard window instead of being part of the desktop". :D

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”