CONKY System Monitor - Fails to Start

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
unclatino

CONKY System Monitor - Fails to Start

Post by unclatino »

I'm a 1st time Linux user, proud to have merged to Mint. However, I tried to install the system monitor Conky. Even though it is available in mint-Install, the file does not execute. I took the liberty of installing only the "libx11-dev" package through Synaptic. After re-starting the system, Conky still doesn't execute.

My system only has the Mint 6 XFCE installation from the Live CD, plus all the updates from mint-Update. According to Husse, Conky should work directly from Mint-Install... any suggestions or tips, greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joeham

Re: CONKY System Monitor - Fails to Start

Post by joeham »

Test it by opening a terminal and typing "conky &". You should get a default conky in a window. If that doesn't work, it didn't install right.

If it works, you then need to put conky in your xfce autostarted applications. Again use conky &.

You are on your own to find or develop your own .conkyrc file. You should go to the conky site for more info. Many people have conky configs posted on their blogs etc. You can steal one and mod it. I borrowed one from TinyMe linux and customized it.

good luck. :)
unclatino

Post by unclatino »

THANK YOU! It worked on 1st attempt.... Will try suggestions.
aubreyz

Post by aubreyz »

I simply followed the first few steps of this link to get conky work in my LM 8 in just a few minutes :-)

To make it start at every boot, adding the "conky &" command to "Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications" did not work. It did start up conky after login but then conky disappeared without a reason. So I followed the same link as above to right a simple two-line script like this and save it as .conky_start.sh in my home user directory:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
sleep 30 && conky &
I found that I should not add ; at the end of the second line as it always gives me warning about not using it. So I simply removed it.

Then I added this command "sh .conky_start.sh" to "Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications" - now it works after every boot :D
daquirm

Post by daquirm »

it works even if "sleep" is set to 1..thanks for help
mithsmile

Post by mithsmile »

El líder de la distribución, Clem, trabaja solo en la Main (la versión oficial que usa la gran mayoría de la gente) y la versión KDE es mantenida por varios miembros de la comunidad (de ahí lo de Community Edition).

Eso quiere decir que el ritmo de desarrollo de la edición KDE es menor que la Main, pero al contrario que Ubuntu (que tiene fechas de lanzamiento fijas) el equipo de Mint se toma su tiempo para parchear todos los bugs, así que, a efectos prácticos la edición KDE es igual de funcional pero tarda un mes o dos más en salir. Por ejemplo, ayer salió Mint 8 Helena, pues lo más probable es que la edición KDE salga de aquí un mes.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

joeham wrote:You are on your own to find or develop your own .conkyrc file. You should go to the conky site for more info. Many people have conky configs posted on their blogs etc.
I am one of the Admins of a site called: Conky-Pitstop. I translated and maintain the 'spanish version' of Conky-Pitstop.

The website Conky-Pitstop used to be called Conky-Hardcore, either name -- "everything you ever wanted to know about Conky, but was afraid to ask"
Stop by and visit. We have How-to's, Tutorials, scripts and examples of various Conkys to use or try.

Conky-Pitstop >> http://conky-pitstop.wikidot.com/

All the various GNU/Linux OS/distro Forums have a Conky thread, even the Mint Forum.
Mint's famous Conky Show-off Thread > http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ky+showoff
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

mithsmile wrote:... Por ejemplo, ayer salió Mint 8 Helena, pues lo más probable es que la edición KDE salga de aquí un mes.
Pero creo que la versión que acaba de salir era el LinuxMint 10 Julia para Gnome.
Ver aquí: http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

Bueno, acaba de darme cuento de las fechas en este hilo.
Creo que estuvimos leyendo mal la fecha. Perdona la molestia.
:lol:

Este es un hilo del año pasado. Pero su repuesta sigue siendo verdad en el sentido
que la versión Mint de Kde sale un mes o dos o tres dependiendo
cuanto gente tienen ayudando.

saludos,
Richard.
daquirm

Post by daquirm »

Are we in Babylon? The thread was started in English, why the f**k is someone writing in any other language, this type of behavior can't be more ignorant...
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

daquirm wrote:Are we in Babylon? The thread was started in English, why the f**k is someone writing in any other language, this type of behavior can't be more ignorant...
daquirm,

I think that your post is 100% more ignorant than the ones you are complaining about. Does it not cross your mind that there are some people on the forums that do not speak English, but nevertheless still wish to participate. As you can see someone has found the time to reply to the "offensive post", and the man/woman has received a reply that may or may not help them.

Tolerance, Tolerance and even more Tolerance.

Best regards Keith

p.s. any parts of a post that you do not understand, just skip them the same as I do.
daquirm

Post by daquirm »

This is my last submission to this thread because it's highly offtopic. If you'd have used google translator like me, you would've found that his reply is irrelevant and his behavior is most likely against the forum rules.
Use (decent) standard English. The Mint forums have "always" been written in pretty good English. Not all here are native English speakers (including parts of the team, like Clem and Husse)
If everyone was using his native language we most likely won't be speaking with each other and finding a right solution for a problem would take ages, because you'll be just skipping offtopic replies. If someone replies on English speaking forum in Spanish, he must have partially understood else he'll rather use a Spanish oriented distro if he wants proper support.

Anyway pls accept my apologies for being too offensive...

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”