Conky not detecting eth0 Mint 18

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jamwest

Conky not detecting eth0 Mint 18

Post by jamwest »

Im currently testing out linux mint 18 but cant get conky to play nice... on Mint 17 conky
detects eth0 and shows the networks speed but it wont do the same on Mint 18. is the code for the
ethernet port different in Mint 18? in the settings manager it shows my net work connection and speed but using conky
it wont even show an IP address. plz help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jamwest

[Solved} Conky not detecting eth0 Mint 18

Post by jamwest »

I've found the problem. Mint 18 does not use eth0 to detect the ehternet port it using enp0s7
that will get it to work in conky again.
kdemeoz

Re: Conky not detecting eth0 Mint 18

Post by kdemeoz »

Hi jamwest, good detective work! How did you work that fix out? Sadly when i tried it, my Conky Network widget still does not show any data... & actually neither does the Nvidia one [both work fine in Mint 17.3 KDE4]. I'm hoping that if i can learn how you solved yours, i might be able to leverage it for my system [Mint 18 Xfce+Compiz], which otherwise is pretty nice. Thanks.
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mik3e »

In a terminal enter:
ifconfig
The output shows the code used for your setup.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Note that Conky uses another configuration format in Mint 18. If you use a legacy format from an earlier Conky, the new Conky will try to "translate" that, but it's better to use the new native format.

The new configuration format can be seen in /etc/conky/conky.conf.

I've made a couple of sample configurations: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... forxubuntu
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Mik3e wrote:In a terminal enter:
ifconfig
The output shows the code used for your setup.
<<slaps forehead>> Thank you! I wish i'd have remembered that without needing to ask!
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Pjotr wrote:Note that Conky uses another configuration format in Mint 18. If you use a legacy format from an earlier Conky, the new Conky will try to "translate" that, but it's better to use the new native format.
Thanks Pjotr. However i'm not much good yet at getting into the code, & am also a bit lazy, so i've been just using Conky Manager for the past ~year, with quite nice results [for me]. Since recently migrating my Lappy from Mint 17.3 KDE4 to Mint 18 Xfce+Compiz, & experiencing the same Conky problems many others have already posted about, i solved that simply by reverting to Conky 1.9, per viewtopic.php?f=212&t=224546 & https://coreygoldberg.blogspot.com.au/2 ... -back.html, with which Conky Manager continues to play nicely . That worked fine, with the only remaining issue being the lack of network data reporting... but now Mik3e has nicely solved that one for me too.

Now it's all good, leaving me free to focus on the ongoing dilemma for my imminent Tower OS migration; follow Lappy down the Mint 18 Xfce path, go for Mint 18 KDE & just stomach its many Plasma 5.6.5 problems AND endure the annoying loss of Root Actions, or leave Mint for Maui Linux with its better Plasma 5.7.5 AND Root Actions.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

kdemeoz wrote:Now it's all good, leaving me free to focus on the ongoing dilemma for my imminent Tower OS migration; follow Lappy down the Mint 18 Xfce path, go for Mint 18 KDE & just stomach its many Plasma 5.6.5 problems AND endure the annoying loss of Root Actions, or leave Mint for Maui Linux with its better Plasma 5.7.5 AND Root Actions.
Have you considered OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 (second bèta), which contains ....drum rolls.... Plasma 5.8 bèta, which is the first long term supported Plasma?
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09566

Code Together! :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=230303
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Pjotr wrote:Have you considered OpenSUSE Leap 42.2 (second bèta), which contains ....drum rolls.... Plasma 5.8 bèta, which is the first long term supported Plasma?
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09566
Hi & thanks Pjotr. Sitting on my backburner [for quite a while] has been to have a look at OpenSUSE, OpenMandriva, & Mageia. I have to fess up though... i'm a bit scared of trying them! I absolutely love Linux & use it full time now, but before 2013 i was a full time Windows user for decades, & did not even know what Linux was [blush]. Entering the Linux multiverse entailed a very big learning curve for me, & for better or worse it turned out to be Debian-based distros that felt comfortable for me. A couple of years ago i tried Manjaro KDE for a few months, but never became comfortable with it, & its Octopi & Yaourt package managers always had me feeling on edge & barely understanding, whereas Synaptic & dpkg now feel very "comfortable" for me. I read that OpenSUSE, OpenMandriva, & Mageia all use RPM Package Manager, about which i have zero knowledge, but after my unhappy Manjaro period i feel quite hesitant to have to learn how to use. I also have a [possibly incorrect, possibly not] apprehension that these distros are for "serious" Linux users, not just enthusiastic hobbyists like me, & that i might not be able to cope with them.

The timing's not good, really. I'm now ready to move on from Mint 17.3 KDE as my primary "real" [not just VM] OS, & wish to migrate to something whose basics & tricks are already familiar to me; ie, still another deb-based system, rather than have to endure another steep learning curve immediately just to be able to use my putative new OS. I suspect that in future, in my new OS, i'll probably create VMs for those other distros to learn about them, & decide if any of them would be right for me when the next cycle of OS update falls due for me.

Currently, after lots of VM testing over the past several weeks, i strongly lean towards Maui Linux. I'm simply not prepared to have to tolerate Mint 18's disappointing Plasma 5.6.5 when i've already now experienced much better from Maui.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

kdemeoz wrote:... my Conky ... widget ... does not show any data... ... the Nvidia one [... work fine in Mint 17.3 KDE4].
The help i received here earlier made my Network one behave correctly, but the NVidia one still is mostly broken:
conkymanager nvidia_20161005_195201.png
From inxi -Fxz there's this extract:
graphics inxi -Fxz_20161005_195418.png
The relevant section in Conky Manager for this widget is:
TEXT
${color2}GPU Temp ${alignr}${color0}${nvidia temp} °C
${color2}Fan Speed ${alignr}${color0}${execi 5 nvidia-settings -q [fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed -t} %
${color2}GPU Clock ${alignr}${color0}${nvidia gpufreq} MHz
${color2}Mem Clock ${alignr}${color0}${nvidia memfreq} MHz
${color2}Mem Used ${alignr}${color0}${execi 5 nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/UsedDedicatedGPUMemory -t} / ${exec nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/TotalDedicatedGPUMemory -t} MiB

Maybe the answer is staring me right in the face & i just can't see it? Any suggestions pls for how to get this widget fully functional once again, like it was in Mint 17.3 KDE4 ?

BTW, i've posted here not the TeeJee Tech site itself, as there's basically no new activity there anymore for this pgm.
kdemeoz

Post by kdemeoz »

Golly! The activity level here is on a par with the TeeJee Tech site, after all.
idle

Re: [Solved} Conky not detecting eth0 Mint 18

Post by idle »

jamwest wrote:I've found the problem. Mint 18 does not use eth0 to detect the ehternet port it using enp0s7
that will get it to work in conky again.
Thanks so much for this information - legend! :D

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”