Is Compiz necessary to run Mint Mate 17.3 or 18?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
geertlpa

Is Compiz necessary to run Mint Mate 17.3 or 18?

Post by geertlpa »

I have no interest in or inclination to use all the bells and whistles that come with graphic interfaces like compiz. So I find the fact that compiz is taking up space on my HHD and appears on menus and in configuration window to be an annoyance and distraction. Can it be removed without impacting the rest of the desktop environment? The reason I ask is that when doing internet searches on removing Compiz absolutely nothing comes up. All results show how to customizes compiz or remedy problems. I find that strange to say the least. Compiz can't possibly be vital software.

As I am about to reinstall Linux Mint Mate 17.3 after a disastrous upgrade to Mint Mate 18. I think it's the right moment to ask the question. That way I can remove it before I get customizing the rest of the system. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is Compiz necessary to run Mint Mate 17.3 or 18?

Post by jimallyn »

I am quite certain that Mint 17 Cinnamon does not come with Compiz. Don't know about the others, but I would guess not. If I were at home, I would open up all the recent Mint releases in VirtualBox and check. I imagine others here can tell you if some of the versions come with Compiz.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

after you install the mint/mate 17.x go to control centre/desktop settings/windows/marco+compositing ... if you experience screen tearing try marco+compton (if you need no effects just use marco or metacity by itself, i use marco+compositing it gives a bit of depth but nothing to configure)

compiz is there too but you don't need to try
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Disable all visual effects like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... al-effects
(item 6, right column)

That should achieve what you want, regardless of Compiz (which isn't installed by default in Mint 18 Cinnamon, by the way).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Compiz is installed by default in MATE and XFCE, in both versions 17 and 18. It is not installed by default in Cinnamon or KDE, on either 17 or 18. I assume that it is installed by default in MATE and XFCE because the developers wanted to use some portion of it (not necessarily the whole thing). You could simulate a removal of Compiz in apt-get using the -s option and see what else it wants to remove.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Just tested removal of Compiz in Mint 18 Xfce: I've seen no negative side effects....

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove compiz-core
I've added the removal of Compiz to my "speed" how-to, because Compiz is all about unstable unnecessary bling-bling anyway. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Seano123

Post by Seano123 »

Pjotr wrote:... because Compiz is all about unstable unnecessary bling-bling anyway. :mrgreen:
Thanks for that. Compiz gone. Save some disk space. :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Pjotr wrote:Just tested removal of Compiz in Mint 18 Xfce: I've seen no negative side effects....

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove compiz-core
I've added the removal of Compiz to my "speed" how-to, because Compiz is all about unstable unnecessary bling-bling anyway. :mrgreen:
You know--that's what I used to think as well. For me compiz seemed glitchy
and I avoided using it with this reasoning.
Firstly, I have no need or want of tinkertoys. Yet I am an experimenter.
I now use compiz in a limited fashion--to 'place windows'--something that Mate does not do natively. ymmv
So not while all thumbs up--not all down either.
For newcomers I definitely suggest a step at a time
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”