compiz --replace creates problem

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ndbhagchandani

compiz --replace creates problem

Post by ndbhagchandani »

Hello everyone,

I am getting issue while putting the below command in terminal

Command 1:

Code: Select all

compiz --replace
So, I experimented by opening a terminal and executing the following command

Command: 2

Code: Select all

compiz --replace
mate-panel --replace
It worked a quite well, but the start-menu and the entire panel initially was black in color as shown in the image (initially) before. But, after firing the above command-2 in terminal it shows me the start-menu and panel in white color.

I want the original black colored panel and not this white one.

how can I get it back

Regards,
Niraj Bhagchandani.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
buffest_overflow

Re: compiz --replace creates problem

Post by buffest_overflow »

It's quirky. Compiz --replace isn't a smooth landing. Whenever I use it on new installs I log out and back in, then things seem to be stable. You can set a replacement manager, like Marco, if compiz crashes because you've gone overboard with settings changes or graphics fx. This has worked fine for me.

edit: Make sure in general settings you have compiz set to work with your flavor of mint. Don't have Gnome and KDE enabled if you're using MATE, for example.

Enable settings in small increments; there are so many, it's easy to get carried away. Most of the "workarounds" settings have been helpful to me, but your system may vary.

Compiz has many secrets. One thing they don't tell you off the bat is if you change a lot of settings in compiz in real time, depending on how you have things set up, it might take a little time for those settings to become stable. During that time compiz can behave erratically. Windows might go inactive. Actually, windows "locking" into the background is an annoying problem that took me a while to figure out how to work around. It's not exactly a lightweight WM, but I love it for all the features it gives me, it also fixes a lot of Nvidia issues and display bugs without having to mess with tweaking OpenGL settings and nvidia stuff. I have seen zero screen tearing since going to compiz.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”