how to arrange panel icons/apps across bottom taskbar

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
REB444

how to arrange panel icons/apps across bottom taskbar

Post by REB444 »

Newb here, using Linux Mint v.18.1/Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Linux kernel 4.4.0-78 generic)

see screenshot please. I have searched the entire forum for answers to my questions below, to no avail...maybe I am doing something wrong in setup? (This is my 10th Linux iso--Ubuntu, Zorin, etc., and 2nd version Mint, but I prefer Mint over many of the others due to similarities to Windows 7--(I hate Windows and Microsoft--will never go back--but I got comfortable with their icon and other placements).

In my ideal world, I would like my favorite apps across the bottom left on panel or taskbar--you'll note they are all congregated on right (leading me to believe--erroneously??--that ALL these apps load at startup?). I also do NOT prefer my favorites in a vertical position within the "menu" button load on its click.

The problem I am having is when I open multi-windows or apps at the same time to work. One would expect that minimizing a window would then give me the ability to have it recalled back to its last page or place holder, if it was resident in the tray. Sadly, no. I "frustratingly" :evil: have to click & reload the app or window from its beginning, and process forward to the correct former page or position I was working on.

What I do now as a remedy is to use the "+" symbol which reduces the working screen or window to a smaller dimension, so that I can at least return to it as open (again, plz see screenshot) Using the "-" (minimize) button closes the program and window entirely, so I have to restart the program afresh.

I would like to JUST minimize the active window or app to the lower LEFT part of the tray or panel, to be retrieved as necessary to the last known webpage or window.

I would also like to place my favorite apps on the bottom left, and startup apps (security, avs, time and sound) on lower right, and only use the "menu" button to shut down or enter some program selection--no "vertical" favorites.

Incidentally, I tried Complz, which now appears to be very simplified and generic, a shell of its former self. Also tried panel edit...no joy

Please email me if you have an answer or two...much appreciated!! Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to arrange panel icons/apps across bottom taskbar

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Right click the panel and turn on Panel Edit Mode. See if you can drag and drop the application area back to the left because it looks like you have moved it over to the right.
REB444

Re: how to arrange panel icons/apps across bottom taskbar

Post by REB444 »

Thanks Capn....it got me partially there--I was able, as you suggested, to "edit panel"/drag&drop selected tray icons to the left side. :o (see attachment pic)

However, when I open a browser window or application from that left tray, and then minimize it (hoping to save the webpage as a placeholder to go back to), the window (or application) does not revert to last known or used window. Instead, I have to (yet again) restart the entire program or browser to its beginning, then process to the former window I was working on. :twisted: NO JOY

I tried to right-click/configure, but no choices for what I need...what do you think please? Thank you for any help...

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”