[SOLVED] Desklets Refreshing the Cache error

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Desklets Refreshing the Cache error

Post by Cosmo. »

This is not related. All spices come only from the website, which I linked above.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Cosmo. wrote:This is not related.
Oh wow, yea, I never even realized that relationship until just right now. :shock:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Cosmo. wrote:Fine. Don't forget to take also the live dvd / stick with you, so that you can test there as well the installed systems as the live system.
Hi Cosmo,

I took the laptop to work today and got the same results.

Applets refresh with no problem.
Desklets have HTTP error.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I assume, that you did the test also with the live system.

A real mystery, I have no idea, what happens there. I tested the issue in the last week and also today (just a minute ago, when I saw your post) and it always worked as expected.

As a kind of workaround you can download and install the desklets manually. You need to store them into ~/.local/share/cinnamon/desklets.
kryptto

Post by kryptto »

I have been having this same issue, I setup Wireshark and saw my traffic being blocked. I connected to a TOR, which sometimes is a horrible option, but connected to Japan, fixed the update issue. Since my fresh install a few weeks back I have never had the Desklets update ever. I wish I kept all the info i collected, but the breakdown is this, I was blocked by a firewall product called Sucuri, saying that firewall was configured improperly. SO, I decided to go the route of changing my location and fixed the update. NOT a permanent fix obviously, but if this can provide any insight to the discussion I hope this helps. Coming back to my ISP IP, BAM, blocked again hopefully ruling out a bad index file. Hope this helps, I AM not a linux guru, just went back to my security troubleshooting skill set.

~kryptto
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Cosmo. wrote:I assume, that you did the test also with the live system.

A real mystery, I have no idea, what happens there. I tested the issue in the last week and also today (just a minute ago, when I saw your post) and it always worked as expected.

As a kind of workaround you can download and install the desklets manually. You need to store them into ~/.local/share/cinnamon/desklets.
Yes, I did. Very strange. I will use the manual method.

Thanks so much for your help.
Last edited by JerryF on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomcashen

Re: [SOLVED] Desklets Refreshing the Cache error

Post by tomcashen »

I've been following this thread with interest as I am having the same symptoms. It's not my internet connection as I have been using said connection with abandon installing packages, downloading isos, and, of course, reading this forum. What I find notable is that many others are not experiencing this. Maybe not as many people are interested in desklets or applets at this time. Although its not a priority for me either, I just found it curious as I explore.

I did a fresh install of 18.3 non beta, assuming that this was a minor bug that would be fixed. But not yet.

I guess I'm asking if updating the desklet cache and applet cache is working for others or if we somehow are unique in having our routers choke at the same time? Interesting coincidence, no?

At this point I am leery of modifying configs mostly because everything else I've explored is working and I don't want to go down the rabbit hole by breaking stuff. Yet.

I continue to thank you all for your spirit of support.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Hi tomcashen,

It a relief to know that I'm not the only one with this problem. Applets and desklets are not a priority for me either. Just found it curious that I had reinstalled 18.3 from scratch and couldn't refresh the cache for Desklets. Previously, I did an update from 18.2 to 18.3 but had another problem with Bluetooth, so that's why a fresh install.
tomcashen

Post by tomcashen »

Jerry,
Just an update.

After a little distro hopping, I reloaded 18,3 Cinnamon from scratch with fresh updates and all, and cache refreshing went as advertised. Now its nice to navigate through all the applets and desklets I don't need and will never use without errors!

It's the little things. :)

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”