[SOLVED]Problem running Conky Seamod theme in Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sardus-X

[SOLVED]Problem running Conky Seamod theme in Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce

Post by sardus-X »

Hi All,
I tried to install different versions of the Seamod theme for Conky but the graphic appears for a moment and disappears immediately and is without the expected circles.
I still can not find any discussion about it, how can the fix this problem?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Problem running Conky Seamod theme in Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce

Post by zcot »

You can start the Seamod config on the terminal and use the -D or -DD flags to see more debug info.
for example: conky -DD -c /home/sardus/.conky/whatever/seamod/something
...and it might show you what is wrong.

If you only installed the 'conky' package and not the 'conky-all' package then you will be missing the cairo, imlib2, and rsvg modules, which would definitely be a problem with Seamod(it needs to use cairo).

Also, I don't know the Seamod version you are using or where you are getting it from but most likely it is a pre-1.10 conky version which means when it's converted into the newer conky(automatically) running under mint 18.1 there is likely a few things to fix (but better to manually convert it yourself and make it correct).

For example, the one I've seen is based on a triple core cpu so already you probably have to customize that part... and any parts about file paths where it is analyzing data.

The best thing to do is convert the 'conky_seamod' config, and then you can easily make your customizations at that point. Here's a start, let us know if this is any issue: https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wi ... .10-syntax.

But it should work flawlessly once you customize it.

I did a test by using the Seamod that's included with the conky-manager package and it does mostly work. The rings show up, but there is a few things that should be tweaked to make it proper.

Let us know if you have any problems. If you don't see to work it out, maybe one of us can dig around and give you a converted file.
sardus-X

Post by sardus-X »

- 'conky-all' v. 1.10.1-3 package already installed
- these are the two versions of seamod theme i have tried:
https://github.com/maxiwell/conky-seamod
https://github.com/JPvRiel/conky-seamod
- This is the terminal output running conky ('JPvRiel' version.) with the -DD option You recommended:

Code: Select all

andrea@andrea-System-Product-Name ~ $ conky -DD -c ~/.conky/seamod/conkyrc.lua
DEBUG(0) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/conky.cc:2685]: reading contents from config file '/home/andrea/.conky/seamod/conkyrc.lua'
conky: desktop window (1000003) is subwindow of root window (291)
DEBUG(0) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/x11.cc:587]: Found ARGB Visual
conky: window type - dock
conky: drawing to created window (0x4a00002)
conky: drawing to double buffer
conky: Unknown setting 'xinerama_head'
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/core.cc:1917]: no templates to replace
DEBUG(0) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/linux.cc:1197]: parsed hwmon args: '2' 'temp' 2 1,000000 0,000000

conky: can't open '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp2_input': File o directory non esistente
please check your device or remove this var from conky
DEBUG(0) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/linux.cc:1197]: parsed hwmon args: '2' 'temp' 3 1,000000 0,000000

conky: can't open '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp3_input': File o directory non esistente
DEBUG(0) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/linux.cc:1197]: parsed hwmon args: '2' 'temp' 4 1,000000 0,000000

conky: can't open '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp4_input': File o directory non esistente
DEBUG(0) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/linux.cc:1197]: parsed hwmon args: '2' 'temp' 5 1,000000 0,000000

conky: can't open '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp5_input': File o directory non esistente
DEBUG(0) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/linux.cc:1197]: parsed hwmon args: '2' 'temp' 1 1,000000 0,000000

conky: can't open '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2/temp1_input': File o directory non esistente
DEBUG(0) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/linux.cc:1197]: parsed hwmon args: '3' 'fan' 1 1,000000 0,000000

conky: can't open '/sys/class/hwmon/hwmon3/fan1_input': File o directory non esistente
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/core.cc:598]: Adding $cpugraph for CPU 0
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/core.cc:1917]: no templates to replace
conky: forked to background, pid is 4097
andrea@andrea-System-Product-Name ~ $ 
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/core.cc:577]: Adding $cpu for CPU 1
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/conky.cc:901]: evaluated '${cpu cpu1}' to '0'
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/core.cc:577]: Adding $cpu for CPU 2
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/conky.cc:901]: evaluated '${cpu cpu2}' to '0'
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/core.cc:577]: Adding $cpu for CPU 3
conky: obj->data.i 3 info.cpu_count 2
conky: attempting to use more CPUs than you have!
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Check your last 3 lines in the log there...
DEBUG(1) [/build/conky-bbQ61s/conky-1.10.1/src/core.cc:577]: Adding $cpu for CPU 3
conky: obj->data.i 3 info.cpu_count 2
conky: attempting to use more CPUs than you have!
and if you dig in the seamod_rings.lua file you see this 'JPvRiel' version is setup for an 8 core cpu.
see lines 27 - 94:
https://github.com/JPvRiel/conky-seamod ... _rings.lua

so, 69 - 94 are cores 3 through 8... either remove them, or you can do a multi-line comment block on them to comment them out.. So line 69 would become:--[[ {
94 this:} ]]

Code: Select all

--[[
this whole
section
would be ignored
]]
It will probably work for you now, but there are other edits you might likely want. For example he is using 'eth0' for your wired network and 'wlan0' for wireless, but most likely your system will be using a network manager named variable so those vars probably will just do nothing right now(and those vars are named in both files).

And in my case, on a desktop, the battery section is irrelevant so I would adjust that accordingly too. ;)
sardus-X

Post by sardus-X »

Now, after the editing you've recommended, both versions seem to work well :), except, as you said, the network diagrams.
How can i fix also this problem?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

https://github.com/JPvRiel/conky-seamod ... onkyrc.lua

check line 116 so that is the network section?

find each eth0 reference and replace it with your wired network device name all in that first section. mine is called enp4s0 and you can find it, -click the network manager icon at lower right on the panel and you can see "Connection Information".

in the next section find wlan0 and replace it with your wifi network name. I guess you will have to make sure you have wifi connected or wired, to get each "connection information" interface name for each method.

and the next 'else' section needs it too, for both eth0 and wlan0.

With the newer Network Manager functionality on these distros it has made a situation for most of the old conky files since it used to be a predictable interface name, but now it's not.

Anyway go the other file: https://github.com/JPvRiel/conky-seamod ... _rings.lua to find the section about "network" and do the same stuff.

Maybe you want to pull your network interface names on terminal: ifconfig -a (will list all interfaces)
You could check a file to see if it contains "eth0" in the first place if you're in that directory: cat conkyrc.lua | grep eth0
And if that returns a result you can make the edits to the files with a sed line on terminal in that seamod directory for example: sed -i "s/eth0/enp4s0/g" conkyrc.lua
sardus-X

Post by sardus-X »

After Your reccomended editing now the network diagrams seem to work well :)
Thanks a lot
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: [SOLVED]Problem running Conky Seamod theme in Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce

Post by zcot »

You did it all anyway.. ;)

Good job! :D

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”