XFCE 18.3 + compiz - mate-panel starting only on first desktop

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Janiporo

XFCE 18.3 + compiz - mate-panel starting only on first desktop

Post by Janiporo »

Is this the correct section for this post? Well, here goes, this is my setup:

-Linux Mint XFCE 18.3
-Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050
-Nvidia proprietary driver: 384.111
-Kernel 4.13.0-36-generic
-Compiz activated
-Two displays
-Separate x screen

I managed to start mate taskbar (mate-panel) simply by adding

Code: Select all

mate-panel
to startup programs.

But the problem is, I have mate taskbars now only on first desktop, not second. How do I get them to both desktops?
If I keep adding more than four panels, it does not place fifth one on the second desktop, it just keeps adding them to the first desktop.

This also does not work:

Code: Select all

DISPLAY=:0.1 mate-panel
It tells me mate-panel is allready running, and ofcourse it is.

Yes, I know mate-panel is not supposed to be used with xfce, but it seems to work on one display, almost flawless(ly?), and I like it for multiple reasons.

I have ~identical system working on Mint 17.2 Mate, can I copy mate-panel settings from mint 17.2, and test if it works? Where are they located?

Any ideas? :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: XFCE 18.3 + compiz - mate-panel starting only on first desktop

Post by zcot »

This might be a bummer of a suggestion, but of course installing MATE 18.3 might eliminate the issue entirely.

Otherwise someone might have to go digging around and figure out how to cross-combine and mix the two systems. :?
Janiporo

Re: XFCE 18.3 + compiz - mate-panel starting only on first desktop

Post by Janiporo »

Separate x screen does not work in Mate.

Well I am now learning how to modify these XFCE-panels, and they kind of work, have to live with these for now...

If I remember correctly, in Xubuntu these panels automatically start on both desktops, if someone else is trying to do similar thing.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”