[SOLVED] Is There A Cinnamon 18.3 Dock?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [SOLVED] Is There A Cinnamon 18.3 Dock?

Post by deanr72 »

Wow, Ozo - that is impressive!

I had many questions and then read and re-read your post which answered most of those of those questions (I've had a couple[sic] of glasses of wine) :D

So, only one question: why not create another double-sized panel on the right-hand side and stick a power-off icon top/bottom-right? :wink:
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

deanr72 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:48 pm Wow, Ozo - that is impressive!

I had many questions and then read and re-read your post which answered most of those of those questions (I've had a couple[sic] of glasses of wine) :D

So, only one question: why not create another double-sized panel on the right-hand side and stick a power-off icon top/bottom-right? :wink:
Glad you like my ideas. :)

The reason for just the one panel on the left is simply because it is more intuitive. The same is true of the dock on the bottom. After many years of having the panel at the bottom and the menu launcher on the far left, it is awkward to use the right side or top. Still, you should configure them to suit yourself.

EDIT 1 : A short dock (centered) on the right would work well.

EDIT 2 : Here are some links to threads re the stripped down panel.

viewtopic.php?f=211&t=267446

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=267518
Last edited by Ozo on Fri May 11, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Thanks for the links. And just because I can, here's my current fairly minimal desktop with Plank at the bottom and a top panel with a menu, notifications and power off on autohide:

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

deanr72 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:33 am Thanks for the links. And just because I can, here's my current fairly minimal desktop with Plank at the bottom and a top panel with a menu, notifications and power off on autohide:

One more small thing I thought of; I only use the two right corners (top and bottom) for Hot corners to launch Workspaces. This of course is to eliminate conflicts with the panel. Another reason to not install a panel on the right. Unfortunately the panel can not be shortened like the dock which would eliminate corner conflict. A short dock would work great on the right but I do not need more than 9 launchers so...

Here is a photo of the current panel. I can throw my cursor into either left corner to launch the calendar, session, and brightness applets. The menu icon in the middle is seldom launched so is isolated using spacer applets but can go anywhere you wish.

Notice that there can be no text with the menu applet so it is a smaller target when on the side.

I removed the volume applet from the panel only recently and now use the keyboard or the player etc. to adjust the volume.

Notice the goofy way the calendar launcher appears. That is the current time. The numbers are orange due to the cursor hovering on it (orange is the theme color)

At the top is the Brightness applet which is useful to me as my big screen (TV) does not dim like a laptop. .

When configured like this there is absolutely zero conflict in the upper and lower left corners. The dock is shortened and centered to prevent that on the bottom. The upper left does not conflict with the browser either.

I would add that this panel does not change its appearance in any way like it normally would with the Windows list applet installed.

Finally, as there is no Update Manager applet on the panel updates must be done manually from the menu. Start the Update Manager and select refresh. There will be just one at first (update) but once that is installed the rest will automatically appear.

Still there is a lot to be said for the panel on top especially since the dock is now doing double duty on the bottom. Also, when moving the cursor to launch the calendar it does not conflict with that Hot Corner and diving into the corner still launches HC very smoothly. :!: EDIT: Now using just one Hotcorner bottom right and the dock spans the bottom thus leaving plenty of space to right click on. The Plank dock recently was updated and now requires just one right click to see the options pop up.

The number of launchers on the dock were reduced. If I was not using it, it was removed. The Terminal launcher is on thin ice too.

This is my best effort and should remain unchanged for some time. I even like this wallpaper as a fixed background. It matches my favorite theme. I dim it when I am not using it and it looks great just as artwork in a frame. :)

Last edited by Ozo on Sun May 20, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 11 times in total.
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Lots of playing around to do this weekend then! :D

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”