[SOLVED] Plank Dock Activity Indicators

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

[SOLVED] Plank Dock Activity Indicators

Post by Ozo »

Code: Select all

System:    Host: BOTT9778 Kernel: 4.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7  Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
I love the Plank dock and use it in tandem with Workspaces instead of the panel. When there are programs active on Workspaces, there are sometimes activity indicators under the appropriate dock launchers. This is helpful to remind me but the indicators are often not there.

Is there a way to make these indicators more permanent?

Notice how there are active programs on Workspaces but zero active icons in the panel on the left.

Click to enlarge
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Plank Dock Activity Indicators

Post by kc1di »

I Sorry I don't have an answer for you I used to use plank also and it's a good dock but for the reasons you list and some others that bugged me
I went to docky instead, and have been happy with that choice. Good luck and I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has an answer.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

kc1di wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 am I Sorry I don't have an answer for you I used to use plank also and it's a good dock but for the reasons you list and some others that bugged me
I went to docky instead, and have been happy with that choice. Good luck and I'll be watching this thread to see if someone has an answer.
I tried Docky but did not like the Docky icon that is on the dock. I wanted as few icons there as possible while still being functional. I would have Cairo dock but I can not figure it out. I selected keep hidden thinking that was autohide and now I can not bring it up even after unloading and reloading, restarting etc. so ...

I am really not into the appearance, I just want functional launchers and compatibility with Workspaces. Mine has transparent background and is automatically hidden. Plank does this well but is a little better with the indicators which are working fine now even shows multiple instances. That is if two browser instances are active on two different Workspaces then there will be two indicators on the docks browser launcher.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

kc1di wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 am I Sorry I don't have an answer for you I used to use plank also and it's a good dock but for the reasons you list and some others that bugged me
I have the answer. It was not a problem with the dock but with the operator. My tv does not retain the "wide fit" preference I select so cuts off a little of the screen. I usually just ignore it but can change it to screen fit and it will stay like that until a restart. So the indicators were often not visible due to the resolution. Kind of embarrassing. :oops:

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”