[SOLVED] Have conky autorun at startup with specific setting

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Have conky autorun at startup with specific setting

Post by Valsodar »

I had set up conky to show what I want but now I don't know how to set it up to autostart with the system with the settings I made. I tried adding conky to autostarting programs but it shows something completely different than what I want. I've downloaded a conky gui manager but it has no autostart settings. I can only see the location of the settings file:
~/.conky/TeejeeTech/Process Panel

So, what should I edit to make conky startup with the system and with that settings file?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Have conky autorun at startup with specific setting

Post by all41 »

In startup applications edit the conky entry like this:

conky -c /home/your_user_name/.conky/conky.rc

if there are spaces in the path then enclose the entire path within quotes
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Have conky autorun at startup with specific setting

Post by Valsodar »

That didn't work. The only way to have it the way I wanted was to leave only the directory /home/username/.conky/TeejeeTech with only Process Panel files in it and delete everything else, so that when conky autostarts, the only widget it can find and start is the one I want.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I have several resident conky.rc files in my ~/.conky directory for different display positions and for use with different backgrounds. I can auto-start each via the Startup Applications using
conky -c <path_to_file> in the manner I described, so I suppose you
had a path issue.
But you found a solution and that's what matters.
Congrats and Cheers.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

all41 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:44 pm I have several resident conky.rc files in my ~/.conky directory for different display positions and for use with different backgrounds.
If I want different positions or colors for different backgrounds, all I have to do is to edit the file Process Panel. I've already set some custom colors there, so it's only a matter of changing a number. ;)
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

if conky is autostart with no parameters it will run the default configuration:
/etc/conky/conky.conf

UNLESS you have a file called:
~/.conkyrc -in which case it uses that instead.

If you are using conky-manager:
1. in the main window, put a checkbox beside one or more configs that you want to start.
2. then select in "Application Settings" at upper right for "Run conky at system startup".
3. you are done.

What happens is that conky-manager will create an appropriate startup script as seen here: ~/.conky/conky-startup.sh
Then it will make a system startup item to execute that script on system startup.

If you are wanting to change the autostart choice, you simply open the manager and change the selection of checkmark(s). -and this will automatically edit that conky-startup.sh script.

btw conky-manager2:
That version of conky-manager is outdated and doesn't support 1.10 configs, it will not view them, edit, save, and you can not get them interacting with the automatic startup(well, you could manually edit the conky-startup.sh if you want to). Anyway, there is an updated version available here:
https://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2 (you would purge the existing conky-manager and install the newer one).

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”