Mapping the desktop size to screen display vs Dock Positions

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Mapping the desktop size to screen display vs Dock Positions

Post by bill_steamshovel »

Hello,

Thought I'd post this in case I save other folk a bit of time.

In order to see my panels and menus I always have to remap my desktop to my screensize every time I login - easy enough to do with NVIDIA control panel.

Unfortunately the two popular docking programs Plank and Docky seem to ignore the NVIDIA mapping and always fall off the edge of the screen on the outsuiide of the panels, this can be confusing and you might think that they are not working, but they are definitely there you just cannot see them as they are floating in space 1cm off the edge of the screen. You have to shrink the desktop quite a bit in order to see them as they fall on the outside of the panels.

Fortunately the Cairo Dock always honours the NVIDIA mapping to the physical limits of the monitor so after I remap the desktop to the monitor size the Cairo Docker is still available.

Might be useful info for somebody in the future.

Bill
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mapping the desktop size to screen display vs Dock Positions

Post by Valsodar »

bill_steamshovel wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:56 am remap my desktop to my screensize
If that means what I think it means, why do you have to do it? That doesn't sound like a normal nvidia behavior.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
bill_steamshovel
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mapping the desktop size to screen display vs Dock Positions

Post by bill_steamshovel »

Imagine this :

Your Linux desktop occupies a space of 41cm x 76cm but your screen is only 40 x 75cm. This means that useful things like the menu button and the task bars and the docks are off the screen and although you can estimate where they might be and try to click on them it makes everything very awkward

Running this little nvidia prgram allows you to remap the desktop to plot at the same size as the tv screen.

Google reveals that this can be a problem when using tv screens as computer monitors in both linux and windows

Bill

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”