How to install gnome full screen launcher?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aido

How to install gnome full screen launcher?

Post by aido »

Hello
I want your help for installing gnome full screen launcher apps in the LinuxMint 19 ?
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
navegante

Re: How to install gnome full screen launcher?

Post by navegante »

You need to install the Gnome desktop.
Make sure you do a Timeshift snapshot before. (use a your own risk).

Here is the code:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install ubuntu-gnome-desktop
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [code] tags around the block of terminal commands
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

There's no need to add the gnome and gnome-staging PPAs to switch to Gnome as a DE.

OP what Mint edition are you using?

If you don't want to take the drastic step of adding the Gnome desktop environment (which if you do I'd suggest just installing Ubuntu instead of Mint) and you are using Cinnamon, Cinnamenu might be to your taste as an alternative menu. Add it via the Applets settings module.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
navegante

Post by navegante »

I believe that by "full screen launcher" he means this:
I run LM19.1 and switch between the Cinnamon and Gnome desktops.

Last edited by navegante on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Which if that's the case its fine. I'd still question the need to install any PPA's as ubuntu-gnome-desktop or vanilla-gnome-desktop are both in the available in the repos. Right now neither PPA actually has a lot of packages for Bionic so it's not likely to cause a problem but Gnome-Staging has been known to wreck systems in the past.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Last edited by trytip on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
navegante

Post by navegante »

trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Last edited by trytip on Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

@trytip - gnome shell can co-exist reasonably happily with Cinnamon in Mint 19.1. The only thing that's forced is gdm as a display manager.

But only one command is needed to install it - apt install ubuntu-gnome-desktop

I've not tested it myself but apt install vanilla-gnome-desktop is likely fine as-well if you don't want ubuntu branded elements.

I'd also suggest apt install gnome-shell-extensions gnome-tweak-tool to make the environment something close to usable.
navegante

Post by navegante »

I've been testing it since LM18.1, never had any issues other than some extensions becoming obsolete, which is fine with me.
Gnome is what I'm used to, it works perfectly with what I do. I hesitated a little, when I upgraded to 19.1 Cinnamon about installing it, but I'm glad I did.
I used the code provided and I haven't had any problems whatsoever, in fact Gnome is what I run fulltime. It is my prefered DE.
I don't feel it destroys LM at all, .... don't even know what that means ... After all we are running Ubuntu under the hood anyway, and Ubuntu 18.04 shipped with Gnome, as you know.
The beauty of Linux is that it is so flexible as to allow you to customize your work environment any way you like it. And this is what I like.
@trytip: Perhaps you should open your eyes so you CAN see.
https://imgur.com/a/6qDIDOM
Last edited by navegante on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

navegante wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:56 am @trytip: Perhaps you should open your eyes so you CAN see.
https://imgur.com/a/6qDIDOM
i guess i'm wrong. by all means then the OP should use above suggestions for gnome and gnome/staging ppa then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. good luck
i stopped using gnome-shell when axe menu went dead since nothing i found came close to it. by the way i'm curious which version of gnome you have?

been meaning to try gnome-shell but i see that even with the staging ppa gnome-system-monitor is at version 2016 3.20.1 and the current version is 2018 3.30.0 and form what i see the staging ppa has a lot of old packages from 2014 even gnome-terminal 3.26.2 but current is 3.30.2
navegante

Post by navegante »

It's not a matter of being right or wrong. It's just a personal choice, which deserves to be respected.
I presently run 3.28.3 and find it to be pretty solid. Other than the extensions going wacko once in a while...I'm pretty happy.
I disabled the extensions yesterday because I found that they were mostly unnecessary, instead I installed the Cairo dock and customized it to fit my needs.
I first installed the Gnome shell back in 18.1 using the PPA because at the time it wasn't available from de repos. After I rebuilt the system with a clean install of 19.1, I used the same code and thus far it's working like a charm. I go back to Cinnamon once in a while but after an hour or so, I start to miss the Gnome functionality and switch back. It just works for me.
You should give it a try, if you don't like it you can always take it out. Good luck.
Cheers!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

navegante wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:13 pm You should give it a try, if you don't like it you can always take it out. Good luck.
Cheers!
one of the best extensions the axe menu was the only reason for me to use gnome-shell. when it dies so did my love for gnome-shell. i have tried gnomenu and others like it but nothing comes close. i may try it just to see what menus they now have available but i can't stand full screen menus like the default gnome has now. at least gnome has decided to include extensions in some of their distros. back when i used it in 12.04 developers said they will not use extensions since most of them, well all of them were user created.

navegante

Post by navegante »

Well, you know what they say... a busy desk is a sign of genius ...
I guess that makes me a simpleton ... Ja-Ja!

https://imgur.com/9tj0fnF
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by That Random Guy »

Incidentally, I put up a thread in the suggestions forum on this site discussing this exact thing (i.e. launcher) to be ported into Cinnamon.

I agree with others saying that they might as well install Gnome or just use Ubuntu if it's a critical feature they're trying to obtain.

Optionally, however, I would like to suggest that there are other launchers out there that might work:
Albert
Syanpse

I haven't tested either on LM 19 but I did try both on 18 and they were kind of glitchy at first. I was eventually able to get one to work.

I don't know if either will work down the line or if they will break with future changes, which is why I'm trying to get the devs to consider working out some kind of intergration into LM/Cinnamon either via an extension or homegrown solution. Both, in my view, would require a lot of work and management which doesn't seem ideal based on what I've been seeing on the blog. Then again, I'm no dev, so I can't give experienced insight into that.

To the OP:
The particular feature or utility you are seeking is known as a Launcher. Why they decided to use that name is beyond me since desktops have traditional "launchers" which start applications. These are the icons you find on your desktop, put simply.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”