Conky showing incorrect memory usage & cpu speed.

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coldkeys

Conky showing incorrect memory usage & cpu speed.

Post by coldkeys »

I have set conky up and it shows all that I want and it's working well apart from the memory usage and cpu speed.

I am using Linux Mint 7 Gloria 64bit.

The cpu is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83ghz and I have 4gb of DDR2 ram.

Conky displays all 4 cpu's as 2.0ghz and it displays the memory usage as 3.6gb (average) of 3.8gb

System monitor shows an average of 1.3gb memory usage.

My question is - Why? I have Googled this and after viewing numerous sites most of yesterday I'm still none the wiser.

Any help greatly appreciated.

John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Re: Conky showing incorrect memory usage & cpu speed.

Post by markcynt »

IMO these two screenlets are better. Of course the first one depends on you having an nVidia GPU.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=81694

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=100042
coldkeys

Post by coldkeys »

Yes I have an nVidia GPU - EN8800GT 1GB DDR3 so thanks for the screenlet links, I've downloaded them to try - although I have had some problems with screenlets (but might be me). I'll let you know later when I've tried them.

Thanks again

John
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I've had problems with them in the past but I'm pretty good with them now. I use those two and have them working well. Any questions, just ask.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

coldkeys

Post by coldkeys »

Thanks again - these look good too, downloaded to try when I've finished answering my emails.

John
coldkeys

Post by coldkeys »

Mark, Thankyou very much, the first two links to screenlets you gave me are excellent, not only do they show the correct memory and cpu info, they show almost everything anyone could possibly want.

The basic setup on conky had taken me more than a day, I reckon to get a display like these would have taken me weeks of research and trial and error ( and I still would have had incorrect memory usage & cpu info!).

If I get any problems I'll be back here, but so far so good.

Thanks again,

John
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

Yes, SysMonitorPlus is a real good one and the nVidia one is nice too. I'm glad I could help

You may find that the SysMonitorPlus doesn't remember some of the settings on startup. In order to stop this behaviour you need to restart the SysMonitorPlus screenlet from the screenlet manager once you get it the way you like it.

As for the nVidia screenlet, it's kind of hard to drag it around. You just need to find the exact spot on the edge of the top or bottom.

Mark
coldkeys

Post by coldkeys »

Yes the nVidia one is hard to drag around - it's now locked in position, and will stay there !

I did the restart ( I read that somewhere else) and it remembered its settings, the only problem was it forgot to start with the nVidia one at reboot - but it could have been my fault, as I'd forgotten to take Conky out of the startup items. Conky started, nVidia started on top of Conky and SysMonitorPlus failed to appear, I'm assuming a 'clash of interests'

I'll find out when I next reboot.

John
coldkeys

Post by coldkeys »

Mark

Back again, the nVidia screenlet seems to be causing problems, in .xsession-errors I have this (repeating many times until the 'too much...'
File "/home/john/.screenlets/NVidia/NVidiaScreenlet.py", line 347, in on_draw
ctx.rectangle(0, 75-float(int(self.data[7])/100.0)*75.0, 75, 75)
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/screenlets/__init__.py", line 1825, in expose
self.on_draw(ctx)
ctx.rectangle(0, 75-float(int(self.data[7])/100.0)*75.0, 75, 75)
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/screenlets/__init__.py", line 1825, in expose
self.on_draw(ctx)

...Too much output, ignoring rest...
Several programs became 'flakey' - package manager wouldn't work at all, software manager started but disappeared & kTorrent froze. They started working again after removing the nVidia screenlet. I realize this could be coincidental, but wondered if you had come across this. I did wonder if the nVidia screenlet was missing something as the space at the bottom of its display seemed excessive.

Any thoughts?

John
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I have no idea what happened or is happening John. The nVidia screenlet has been very solid and stable for me.

The space on the bottom should have displayed the temp.

I would try deleting/uninstalling the screenlet completely and then download/install a new one.

Mark
coldkeys

Post by coldkeys »

Thanks, I'll try that as it wasn't showing any temperatures, this may have been caused by the Conky conflict (thinking aloud) - I'll reboot shortly and activate it again, I can check the log to see if it's still a problem. I'll let you know.

John

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”