Conky Showoff thread

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
palein

Re: Conky Showoff thread

Post by palein »

My Conky Window:
http://i.imgur.com/2B7Cr1g.png

My Code:

Code: Select all

background yes
use_xft yes
xftalpha 0.6
own_window true
own_window_type desktop
own_window_argb_visual true
# 0 = transparent, 255 = solid
own_window_argb_value 160
double_buffer yes
update_interval 1

maximum_width 280
minimum_size 225 1030
alignment top_right
gap_x 10
gap_y 10

no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 5
net_avg_samples 5
diskio_avg_samples 5
if_up_strictness address

draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
default_color lightgray
default_shade_color red
default_outline_color green
short_units true
use_spacer none
xftfont DejaVu Sans Mono:size=10

template0 ${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}\1 ${hr 2}$color${font}${voffset 1}
template1 \1 ${alignr\ 80}${fs_bar\ \1}
template2 ${\1 name \2}${alignr}${\1 \3 \2} %
template3 ${if_up \1}${template0 \2}\ndown $alignr ${downspeed \1}/s\nup $alignr ${upspeed \1}/s\ntotal down$alignr${totaldown \1}\ntotal up $alignr${totalup \1}$endif

#${execi 30 sudo hddtemp /dev/sda | grep '/dev/sda:' | cut -c28-29}°C

TEXT
$color${font}${font Open Sans:size=44}$alignr${time %H:%M}$font$color${font Open Sans:size=15}
$alignr${time %a}, ${time %d %b %Y}$font$color

# SYS
${template0 SYSTEM}
Kernel $alignr $kernel
Uptime $alignr $uptime

# CPU
${template0 CPU}
${execi 1000 cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | sed -e 's/model name.*: //'| uniq}
Temperature $alignr ${execi 1 sensors k10temp-pci-00c3 | grep 'temp1' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}'}°C
Frequency $alignr $freq Mhz
$color${font}Usage $alignr $cpu %
${cpugraph 000000 ffffff}

#GPU
${template0 GPU}
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Temperature $alignr ${nvidia temp}°C
Frequency $alignr ${nvidia gpufreq} Mhz

# RAM
${template0 RAM}
In use $alignr $mem
Used$alignr$memeasyfree
Buffers $alignr $buffers
Cache $alignr $cached
${memgraph 000000 ffffff}

# NETWORK
${template3 enp5s0 NETWORK}${template3 wlan0 WLAN0}

# TOP
${template0 TOP}
$color${font Open Sans:bold:size=8}CPU$font
${template2 top 1 cpu}
${template2 top 2 cpu}
${template2 top 3 cpu}
${template2 top 4 cpu}
${template2 top 5 cpu}${voffset 5}
$color${font Open Sans:bold:size=8}RAM$font
${template2 top_mem 1 mem}
${template2 top_mem 2 mem}
${template2 top_mem 3 mem}
${template2 top_mem 4 mem}
${template2 top_mem 5 mem}

# HDD
${template0     STORAGE}
#${template1 /}      .
#${template1 /home}      .
${exec df -h | grep "/dev/sd" | awk '{ printf "%s of %s \t : %s\n", $5, $2, $6 }' }
b2a8r1

Post by b2a8r1 »

Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

@ b2a8r1
You really should look at a mono font for your calendar so the columns line up. :)
StevenS

Post by StevenS »

From my dual E5-2670 processor (16 core) workstation. Mainly set up to monitor runs of scientific models.

Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

StevenS wrote:From my dual E5-2670 processor (16 core) workstation.
I hate you....

And I mean that in a very good way :mrgreen:

EDIT: NICE!
HerrDierk

Post by HerrDierk »

No big art-thing or whatever. But just a simple desktop where I can read some important things. Especially my inbound and outbound connections. You never know with the NSA :mrgreen:

Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

You're worried about the National Soccer Association?

OH MY! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On topic: Image
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

trytip wrote:fixed the colors to look more aesthetic, that took quite a while :D still not sure about the green cpu cores couldn't decide where to use the green as the further to the middle i get the harder it is to see it, oh well another time

Hi, could you tell me what you used as background? Is it one color or is it changing colors, some a bit lighter than the rest? It's really hard to see.
I like that very much but can't reproduce it (yet).
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

simple, easy on my eyes, all the info I care about.
conky2.png
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

This is my Conky at the moment. I like to have it with a lighter background though, but didn't manage to get a good color combination which is nice on the eyes and still well readable.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

DeMus wrote:
trytip wrote:fixed the colors to look more aesthetic, that took quite a while :D still not sure about the green cpu cores couldn't decide where to use the green as the further to the middle i get the harder it is to see it, oh well another time
Hi, could you tell me what you used as background? Is it one color or is it changing colors, some a bit lighter than the rest? It's really hard to see.
I like that very much but can't reproduce it (yet).
not sure which background you mean. the panels or the conky or the wallpaper? the panels are a .png and so are the conkys

this is the top panel

this is the bottom panel

and this is the background for conky

getting the .png to fit into the conky was no small task. i used this code in conky but not sure it works with the new conky

${image ./back.png -p -2,-2 -s 227x700}
if you save a picture in the same directory as your conky you would use this code 227 is width and 700 is length. but your conky has to be semi transparent but for that depending on desktop i use dock if normal doesn't work

#all options for own_window_type are normal, desktop, dock, panel or override
Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

trytip wrote:if you save a picture in the same directory as your conky you would use this code 227 is width and 700 is length. but your conky has to be semi transparent but for that depending on desktop i use dock if normal doesn't work

I really do not understand this "semi-transparent" thing I have been seeing in conky of late, what is it and where does it come from? I don't see it in the conky man page.

own_window_transparent 	Boolean, set transparency? If ARGB visual is enabled, sets background opacity to 0%.
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_transparent no

Images can be put anywhere:

${image /home/sector11/images/Subdirs/Grey_c1.png}
${image /media/5/Conky/images/Grey_c2.png -p 600,0}
${image /media/10/Mint/images/Grey/Grey_c3.png -p 0,600}
${image /media/10/Delete.png -p 0,600}
size (-s) and position (-p) does not depend on where the images are.

Conky shown is running in BunsenLabs (Debian) - OpenBox and set as:

own_window_type normal
Last edited by Sector11 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

DeMus wrote:This is my Conky at the moment. I like to have it with a lighter background though, but didn't manage to get a good color combination which is nice on the eyes and still well readable.
Hi DeMus,
I see you have overlapping graphs in your Hard Disks section, cool, mind sharing how you did that?
Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

^ Use ${voffset}
voffset (pixels)
Change vertical offset by N pixels. Negative values will cause text to overlap. See also $offset.
Bars with Text inside <-- same idea

HEY! Just noticed, "waving to a fellow Canuck". (Lived in Dartmouth for 12 years 80-90's)
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

EDIT: Thanks for the info.
Sector11 wrote:HEY! Just noticed, "waving to a fellow Canuck". (Lived in Dartmouth for 12 years 80-90's)
I immigrated to Dartmouth from Manitoba :? , via Lower Sackville. Been out here since 88, might of bumped into you in the Liquor Dome!
Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

greerd wrote:
Sector11 wrote:HEY! Just noticed, "waving to a fellow Canuck". (Lived in Dartmouth for 12 years 80-90's)
I immigrated to Dartmouth from Manitoba :? , via Lower Sackville. Been out here since 88, might of bumped into you in the Liquor Dome!
You never know. I moved to Dartmouth in 88 as well. Have a sister that lives in Winnipeg. She just never moved once she went the the UofM moving from PlaP.

CoffeeClutch BBS - (mine), or Wolf's Den BBS - Bonehead's Paradise BBS sound familiar to name a few?
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Small world, I remember bouncing around PLaP's by-pass many times on that concrete section of the TransCan. From a farm near Rivers myself. Never was into BBS's much, had a CompuServe account though.
Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

greerd wrote:Small world, I remember bouncing around PLaP's by-pass many times on that concrete section of the TransCan. From a farm near Rivers myself. Never was into BBS's much, had a CompuServe account though.
WOW! No kidding, my brother-in-law is originally from Rivers and he thought PlaP was big. Still, I prefer Dartmouth to PlaP any day.

On topic ... after all, this is a conky thread so I fired up a few ...
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Sector11 wrote:
trytip wrote:if you save a picture in the same directory as your conky you would use this code 227 is width and 700 is length. but your conky has to be semi transparent but for that depending on desktop i use dock if normal doesn't work

I really do not understand this "semi-transparent" thing I have been seeing in conky of late, what is it and where does it come from? I don't see it in the conky man page.

own_window_transparent 	Boolean, set transparency? If ARGB visual is enabled, sets background opacity to 0%.
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_transparent no
Images can be put anywhere:

${image /home/sector11/images/Subdirs/Grey_c1.png}
${image /media/5/Conky/images/Grey_c2.png -p 600,0}
${image /media/10/Mint/images/Grey/Grey_c3.png -p 0,600}
${image /media/10/Delete.png -p 0,600}
size (-s) and position (-p) does not depend on where the images are.
Conky shown is running in BunsenLabs (Debian) - OpenBox and set as:

own_window_type normal
i like to keep images in the same directory as the conky in it's own folder this way i can take that whole folder and copy it to another pc and usually everything works out of the box.
semi-transparent looks nice if you want a frame conky which i mostly always use. but i also use conky manager to quickly set it. for me own_window_type normal doesn't completely work, maybe it's a nvidia thing. if i use normal and hit the show desktop on the bottom panel the conky disappears off the screen. so i use own_window_type dock giving me access to semi-transparent in conky manager BUT now you can't quickly move the conky to top right or bottom left the conky will start at top left always and you need to specify coordinates. in dock mode there is no top bottom middle or left right only horizontal and vertical starting from top left. hope i don't confuse anyone :!: i'm sure there are many more codes i don't know and it's easier just to use conky manager for things like placement and transparency

here you can see through the conky the background desktop wallpaper this is semi-transparent 90% using more than that like 40% washes out the picture embedded in the conky. you can see in the second image that even though it's set to top right the calendar is in the left and now depends on horizontal and vertical scale

Image Image
Sector11

Post by Sector11 »

^ OK, so all that's doing is playing with the ARGB values in "Conky Manager". Now I've got it.

I prefer doing it the old fashioned way - directly in the conky file. And or using semi-transparent images as well.

I have way to may conkys to have a directory for each one in a it's own directory, lets alone with images. I reuse images in various conkys so I have ~/media/5/Conky/images and I always know where they are.

To each their own. Thank you for the explanation.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”