Conky Showoff thread

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
daquirm

Re: Conky Showoff thread

Post by daquirm »

Hi lead67,

go to your synaptic and add this repository to your software sources

Code: Select all

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/conkyhardcore/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
than install following packages:
conky
conky-all
conkyforecast
conkyexaile
exaile

Then go to this page http://www.dafont.com/neuropol.font download the neuropol font, unzip it to folder .fonts in your home folder.

Then go to this page http://www.weather.com/services/xmloap.html and sign up, you'll receive your XOAP_PARTNER_ID and XOAP_LICENCE_KEY in your email.
After that create file named .conkyForecast.config and place it to your /home/"username" directory, then open it in your favorite editor and place following text into that, don't forget to fill your ID and Key for http://www.weather.com:

# config settings for conkyForecast.py
CACHE_FOLDERPATH = /tmp/
CONNECTION_TIMEOUT = 5
EXPIRY_MINUTES = 30
TIME_FORMAT = %H:%M
DATE_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d
LOCALE =  
XOAP_PARTNER_ID = "paste your ID here"
XOAP_LICENCE_KEY = "paste your key here"
Than create .conkyrc and .conkyrcx file in your home directory and paste the code according to my previous reply in them. Then run this from terminal:

conky & conky --c .conkyrcx
Conky should be running with my configuration after that. It will show you the weather in Prague however, so if you want to switch the location for yours, you have to open the .conkyrcx file again and replace all "location=EZXX0012" for "location=yourlocationcode" To find the code use this URL http://xoap.weather.com, use search after you type name of your city and press enter, the code is the part of the URL like http://xoap.weather.com/weather/today/E ... _typeahead
Then use Exaile (best music player for Linux IMHO) as your default music player and conky will function as expected, it will provide you either with the weather info or with the music info.
Then if you want to make conky run every startup you have to create a startup script (see my previous reply) and setup your distro to launch it on every start. My script basically does that it waits 5 seconds then it launches conky with the .conkyrc configuration then it waits for 16 seconds a it luanches conky with the .conkyrcx configuration. This delay is needed because otherwise conky sometimes fails to start in some distros, and it's also important to be connected to Internet first, so conky is able to download the weather data...

Hopefully everything is clear right now...
lead67
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lead67 »

daquirm,

Beautiful, I followed all your words and the two conky are open but I was not able to get the code for my location I get a STATUS 404 web error and the weather conky is not showing anything.

The start up script, what do I name the file and it should also be in /home/username directory, right? and how do I make start at boot? I know you mentioned the start-up script but how do I configure it to start? If I log-out it doesn't start I have to enter the code to see it on desktop and if I right click on the desktop, they disappear and I have to go to the scripts and click save one and then the other so they show up again on my desktop.

Also, I tried to play a CD and I got this A Audio CD source plugin is required to play this stream, but not installed.
do I tried to CDs and nothing, do you know what do I have to do? EDIT + I got it but I have to add to the play list so it does not play automatically and the conky is showing the data, but i am still having the issue on the weather and in how to make appear at boot.

I am appreciated because you are sharing your time and knowledge and I bet you have busy life.

thanks
Mobo-EP-43-DS3L
CPU-Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz
RAM- 4gigs (2x1GB) ballistix 2.2v
PSU- Thermaltake 850W
HDD- 1 WD 120 gig/1 Seagate 120 gig
Linux Mint Isadora 9 64bits video driver 195.36.15
Vista Home premium
EVGA GTX 260 SC 896GB DDR3 driver 257.21
daquirm

Post by daquirm »

Actually I'm ill so I have much more free time, so I'm glad to provide help, I need it all the time my self too..
after pressing search I got this 404 error too ...but still the location remains in the addressbar of your browser, the code is like this for new york for example: USNY0996. I believe you can see where it is in the address bellow. Use the same logic..

http://xoap.weather.com/weather/today/USNY0996?lswe=New%20York,%20NY,%20United%20States&from=searchbox_typeahead

The name of the start up script is up to you. mine is called .conky_start.sh, just make sure the file is labeled as executable. You can place it in your home folder to keep things simple. Making it autostart differs from distro to distro in gnome edition it's like this:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... etup+conky

In fluxbox which I like the most you edit this file /home/daquirm/.fluxbox/startup and add this line to that at the right place:

sh .conky_start.sh &
I'm not sure if I can help you with CD playback, because I have no CD ROM at all, but I believe that exaile is able to play it natively. Go to Exaile>Edit>Preferences>Plugins and there should be a checkbox CD Playback, Just check it. In exaile go to "Files" tab then paste this to path: /media. Then you should see the list of mounted devices, your CDROM should be there, just drag and drop it to your playlist. If it won't work, try to go to your synaptic and install package called ubuntu-restricted-extras It's just bunch of proprietary codecs and most used proprieatary apps like Flash, Java etc. It might help you...

The problem with disappearing might be solved like this (but I'm just guessing since I can't reproduce this error):
edit your .conkyrc and .conkyrcx
find the line

own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
then replace the word "below" with "above" it might do the thing...
lead67
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lead67 »

well, I must be doing something wrong. The two conkys closed whenever I right click the desktop, only one open at boot, it is the cpu usage etc. the other doesn't.

I entered the above but still the same issue; and the weather I got the code as you stated but still does not display the weather, what do you think is making the conkys not work right or disappear? sorry that i am bothering too much.

the weather, I see on terminal "Failed to get location" did get my location as you stated and replaced all code from your:

background yes
use_xft yes
xftfont neuropol:size=9
xftalpha 1
update_interval 1
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_type override
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_type desktops
own_window_hints undecorated,above,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
minimum_size 350 40
maximum_width 370
draw_shades yes
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
default_color grey
default_shade_color black
alignment bottom_right
gap_x 20
gap_y 60
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no
use_spacer right
color1 4C4C4C
color2 red
##############################################
#  Output
TEXT
${if_running exaile}$else$color1
${goto 0}Weather in ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=CN} $color$hr$color2
${goto 0}$color2${voffset 0}${font conky weather:size=28}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=WF}${goto 130}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=WF -s 1}${goto 260}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=WF -s 2}$color2${font neuropol:size=8}
${goto 40}${voffset -35}Today ${time %d. %m.}${goto 170}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=DW -s 1}${goto 300}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=DW -s 2}$color
${goto 44}${font neuropol:size=9}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 0 -u -x}${goto 174}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=LT -s 1 -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 1 -u -x}${goto 304}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=LT -s 2 -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 2 -u -x}
    $endif
    ${if_running exaile}${if_match "${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=ST}"!="Stopped"}$color1 Exaile playin' $color$hr$color2
    ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=AR -n} - ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=TI -n}
    ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=AL -n}$color
    Track ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=TN -n}$alignr$color${execi 1 conkyExaile --datatype=PT -n} / ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=LE -n}$color1$else$color1
    ${goto 0}Weather in ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=CN} $color$hr$color2
    ${goto 0}$color2${voffset 0}${font conky weather:size=28}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=WF}${goto 130}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=WF -s 1}${goto 260}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=WF -s 2}$color2${font neuropol:size=8}
    ${goto 40}${voffset -35}Today ${time %d. %m.}${goto 170}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=DW -s 1}${goto 300}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=DW -s 2}$color
    ${goto 44}${font neuropol:size=9}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s -1 -u -x}${goto 174}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=LT -s 1 -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 1 -u -x}${goto 304}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=LT -s 2 -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 2 -u -x}

${endif}${endif}
thanks
Mobo-EP-43-DS3L
PSU- Thermaltake 850W
Vista Home premium
daquirm

Post by daquirm »

this thread solves your problem http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=443605 it looks like you've found it also somewhere, because your code is little bit edited. Just remove this line from your configs:

own_window_type desktops
and keep only this one

own_window_type override
Pls note, that I made a mistake, valid own_window_type parameter is "desktop" not "desktops", I edited the code in my first post. However in my case everything worked fine even with this mistake.

Considering the weather config pls PM me your .conkyForecast.config file and your .conkyrcx file, I'll take a look at it..

If you wanna know how things work I'll suggest you to take a look at following links, the first is conky documentation,:
http://conky.sourceforge.net/docs.html the second is manual to conkyforecast:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=869328
hemimaniac

Post by hemimaniac »

My conky

the scripts

# Use Xft?
use_xft yes
xftfont OFL Sorts Mill Goudy:size=8
xftalpha 0.8
text_buffer_size 2048

# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 1

# This is the number of times Conky will update before quitting.
# Set to zero to run forever.
total_run_times 0

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
own_window yes
own_window_type none
own_window_class conky

# Use double buffering (reduces flicker, may not work for everyone)
double_buffer yes

# Minimum size of text area
minimum_size 180 0
#maximum_width 220 0

# Draw shades?
draw_shades no

# Draw outlines?
draw_outline no

# Draw borders around text
draw_borders no

# Stippled borders?
stippled_borders 0

# border margins
border_inner_margin 5

# border width
border_width 1

# Default colors and also border colors
default_color green
#default_shade_color gray
#default_outline_color black
own_window_colour black
#color1 black

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
alignment top_left
#alignment top_right
#alignment bottom_left
#alignment bottom_right

# Gap between borders of screen and text
# same thing as passing -x at command line
gap_x 1350
gap_y 30

# Subtract file system buffers from used memory?
no_buffers yes

# set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase
uppercase no

# number of cpu samples to average
# set to 1 to disable averaging
cpu_avg_samples 2

# number of net samples to average
net_avg_samples 2

# Force UTF8? note that UTF8 support required XFT
override_utf8_locale yes

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about?  This only affects certain objects.
use_spacer yes

TEXT
${alignc 17}${font URW Chancery L:size=32}L${font URW Chancery L:size=14}inux ${font}  ${font URW Chancery L:size=32}M${font URW Chancery L:size=14 --spaces=10}int
${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}SYSTEM${font} ${hr 2}
${font}${alignc}${time  %H:%M  %A  %B  %d  %Y}
${alignc 17}${font Sniglet:size=16}hemimaniac${font}
${alignc}${font Comfortaa:size=10}Frankly, I don't give a damn${font}
${voffset 2}${font StyleBats:size=16}i${font}   Kernel:  ${alignr}${kernel}
${font StyleBats:size=16}A${font}   CPU1: ${cpu cpu1}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu1 8,60}
${font StyleBats:size=16}A${font}   CPU2: ${cpu cpu2}% ${alignr}${cpubar cpu2 8,60}
${font StyleBats:size=16}g${font}   RAM: $memperc% ${alignr}${membar 8,60}
${font StyleBats:size=16}j${font}   SWAP: $swapperc% ${alignr}${swapbar 8,60}
${font StyleBats:size=16}q${font}   Uptime: ${alignr}${uptime}
${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}HD${font} ${hr 2}
${voffset 4}${font Pie charts for maps:size=14}7${font}   ${voffset -5}Root:
${voffset 4}${fs_used /}/${fs_size /} ${alignr}${fs_bar 8,60 /}
${font Pie charts for maps:size=14}7${font}   ${voffset -5}Home:
${voffset 4}${fs_used /home}/${fs_size /home} ${alignr}${fs_bar 8,60 /home}
${font Pie charts for maps:size=14}7${font}   ${voffset -5}Media:
${voffset 4}${fs_used /media/Stores}/${fs_size /media/Stores} ${alignr}${fs_bar 8,60 /media/Stores}
${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}DUNGEON-NET.${font} ${hr 2}
${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}N${font}   Up: ${upspeed eth0} ${alignr}${upspeedgraph eth0 8,60 000000 000000}
${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}T${font}   Down: ${downspeed eth0} ${alignr}${downspeedgraph eth0 8,60 000000 000000}
${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}O${font}   Upload: ${alignr}${totalup eth0}
${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}U${font}   Download: ${alignr}${totaldown eth0}
${voffset 4}${font PizzaDude Bullets:size=14}a${font}   Local Ip: ${alignr}${addr eth0}
${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}MUSIC${font} ${hr 2}
${if_running banshee-1}${font}Artist:  ${exec ~/conkybanshee/conkyBanshee.py --datatype=AR}$endif
${if_running banshee-1}${font}Track Title:  ${exec ~/conkybanshee/conkyBanshee.py --datatype=TI}$endif
${if_running banshee-1}${font}Album:  ${exec ~/conkybanshee/conkyBanshee.py --datatype=AL}$endif
${if_running banshee-1}${font}Length:  ${exec ~/conkybanshee/conkyBanshee.py --datatype=LE}$endif
${if_running banshee-1}${font}Position:  ${exec ~/conkybanshee/conkyBanshee.py --datatype=PT}$endif
${if_running banshee-1}${execibar 1 ~/banshee.sh progress}$endif
${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}PROCESSES${font} ${hr 2}
NAME $alignr PID    CPU
${top name 1} $alignr ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1}
${top name 2} $alignr ${top pid 2} ${top cpu 2}
${top name 3} $alignr ${top pid 3} ${top cpu 3}
${top name 4} $alignr ${top pid 4} ${top cpu 4}
${top name 5} $alignr ${top pid 5} ${top cpu 5}
${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}WEATHER${font} ${hr 2}
Location: ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=CN}
Conditions: ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=CC}
${font ConkyWeather:size=36}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --night --datatype=WF}${font}
Temp: ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=HT} - Feels Like: Low ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=LT} Hi ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=HT}
Wind: ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=WD} - ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=WS} - ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=WG} Humidity: ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=HM}
Sunrise: ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=SR} Sunset: ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=SS} Daylight: ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=DL}
Extended Forecast
${font ConkyWeather:size=36}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --startday=1 --endday=4 --location=CAXX0255 --datatype=WF}${font}
${execpi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --template=/home/hemimaniac/Scripts/conkyrc-PCtemp}${font}
${voffset -12}${execpi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --template=/home/hemimaniac/Scripts/conkyrcLTtemp}
${voffset -12}${execpi 3600 conkyForecast --location=CAXX0255 --template=/home/hemimaniac/Scripts/conkyrcHTtemp}
${voffset -12}${execpi 3600 conkyForecast --shortweekday --location=CAXX0255 --template=/home/hemimaniac/Scripts/conkyrcDWtemp}

and

# Use Xft?
use_xft yes
xftfont OFL Sorts Mill Goudy:size=8
xftalpha 0.8
text_buffer_size 4096

# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 1

# This is the number of times Conky will update before quitting.
# Set to zero to run forever.
total_run_times 0

# Create own window instead of using desktop (required in nautilus)
own_window yes
own_window_type override
own_window_class conky

# Use double buffering (reduces flicker, may not work for everyone)
double_buffer yes

# Minimum size of text area
minimum_size 200 0
#maximum_width 200 0

# Draw shades?
draw_shades no

# Draw outlines?
draw_outline no

# Draw borders around text
draw_borders no

# Stippled borders?
stippled_borders 0

# border margins
border_inner_margin 5

# border width
border_width 1

# Default colors and also border colors
default_color green
#default_shade_color gray
#default_outline_color black
own_window_colour black
#color1 black

# Text alignment, other possible values are commented
alignment top_left
#alignment top_right
#alignment bottom_left
#alignment bottom_right

# Gap between borders of screen and text
# same thing as passing -x at command line
gap_x 50
gap_y 100

# Subtract file system buffers from used memory?
no_buffers yes

# set to yes if you want all text to be in uppercase
uppercase no

# number of cpu samples to average
cpu_avg_samples 2

# number of net samples to average
net_avg_samples 2

# Force UTF8? note that UTF8 support required XFT
override_utf8_locale yes

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about?  This only affects certain objects.
use_spacer true

#fork to background
background yes

TEXT
${font URW Chancery L:size=32}N${font URW Chancery L:size=14}ews
${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}CTV.CA-NEWS${font} ${hr 2}
${rss http://www.ctv.ca/generic/generated/freeheadlines/rdf/allNewsRss.xml 10 item_titles 10}

${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}LONDON FREE PRESS-NEWS${font} ${hr 2}
${rss http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/rss.xml 10 item_titles 10}

${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}TSN.CA${font} ${hr 2}
${rss http://www.tsn.ca/datafiles/rss/Stories.xml 30 item_titles 10}

${font Goudy Bookletter 1911:style=Bold}Linux Mint-Forums${font} ${hr 2}
${rss http://linuxmint.com/forum/rss.php 20 item_titles 20}

Remember conky is what it is - what YOU make it

PS.

for everything conky to make it easier for me, i made a conky-script folder in ~/hemimaniac and put it all there
Last edited by hemimaniac on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lead67
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lead67 »

Daquirm,
You are one hundred percent correct, I placed that line of "...override" before I right clicked on my desktop so I am sure that had I not done that your code would have preformed as it does on yours.

As per your request, here is the code for the first file:
.conkyForecast.config

# config settings for conkyForecast.py
CACHE_FOLDERPATH = /tmp/
CONNECTION_TIMEOUT = 16
EXPIRY_MINUTES = 30
TIME_FORMAT = %H:%M
DATE_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d
LOCALE = 
XOAP_PARTNER_ID = "1230205785"
XOAP_LICENCE_KEY = "606d77f662c29212"
And here is the second file.
.conkyrcx

background yes
use_xft yes
xftfont neuropol:size=9
xftalpha 1
update_interval 1
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_type override
own_window_hints undecorated,above,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes
minimum_size 350 40
maximum_width 370
draw_shades yes
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
default_color grey
default_shade_color black
alignment bottom_right
gap_x 10
gap_y 70
no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale no
use_spacer right
color1 4C4C4C
color2 red
#  Output
TEXT
${if_running exaile}$else$color1
${goto 44}${font neuropol:size=9}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 0 -u -x}${goto 174}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=LT -s 1 -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 1 -u -x}${goto 304}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=LT -s 2 -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 2 -u -x}
    $endif
    ${if_running exaile}${if_match "${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=ST}"!="Stopped"}$color1 Exaile playin' $color$hr$color2
    ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=AR -n} - ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=TI -n}
    ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=AL -n}$color
    Track ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=TN -n}$alignr$color${execi 1 conkyExaile --datatype=PT -n} / ${execi 5 conkyExaile --datatype=LE -n}$color1$else$color1
    ${goto 44}${font neuropol:size=9}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s -1 -u -x}${goto 174}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=LT -s 1 -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 1 -u -x}${goto 304}${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=LT -s 2 -u -x} / ${execi 3600 conkyForecast --location=USCA0791 --datatype=HT -s 2 -u -x}

${endif}${endif}
:D the right click issue is gone but I still can't get it to show the weather it just shows the date and the rest is blank. Again, :oops: I am very, very appreciated of the time you are taking to tutor this newbee.

thanks
Mobo-EP-43-DS3L
PSU- Thermaltake 850W
Vista Home premium
zerozero

conky made easy (i hope :) )

Post by zerozero »

In the end of this how-to i hope you can have this conky running in your screen;
Screenshot-6.png
1st- install conky-all

sudo apt-get install conky-all
2nd- the conkyrc:

# -- Conky settings -- #
background no
update_interval 1

cpu_avg_samples 2
net_avg_samples 2

override_utf8_locale yes

double_buffer yes
no_buffers yes

text_buffer_size 2048
imlib_cache_size 0

#Window settings
own_window yes
own_window_type override no

border_inner_margin 0
border_outer_margin 0

minimum_size 1320 150
maximum_width 1320

alignment tm
gap_x 10
gap_y 40

# -- Graphics settings -- #
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no

# -- Text settings -- #
use_xft yes
xftfont Droid Sans:size=16
xftalpha 0.6

uppercase no

default_color 666666

# -- Lua Load -- #
lua_load ~/scripts/rings-lua
lua_draw_hook_pre ring_stats

TEXT

${voffset 35}${goto 40}${uptime_short}${voffset -35}${goto 170}ds ${downspeed eth2}${goto 300}us ${upspeed eth2}${goto 420}cpu ${acpitemp}C (${cpu cpu0}% ${cpu cpu1}%)${goto 620}${color ff00ff}ram ${memperc}% ${color}${goto 730}proc ${processes} (${running_processes} run)${goto 950}fs ${fs_used /}(${fs_used_perc /}%)${goto 1230}
${goto 165}${color ff00ff}${hr 1}${color}
${goto 900}${time %A, %d %B %Y} 

Open Gedit and copy all text above
save it in the home folder as .conkyrc
mind the "." before the name

3rd- the rings-lua

--[[
Ring Meters by londonali1010 (2009)

This script draws percentage meters as rings. It is fully customisable; all options are described in the script.

IMPORTANT: if you are using the 'cpu' function, it will cause a segmentation fault if it tries to draw a ring straight away. The if statement on line 145 uses a delay to make sure that this doesn't happen. It calculates the length of the delay by the number of updates since Conky started. Generally, a value of 5s is long enough, so if you update Conky every 1s, use update_num > 5 in that if statement (the default). If you only update Conky every 2s, you should change it to update_num > 3; conversely if you update Conky every 0.5s, you should use update_num > 10. ALSO, if you change your Conky, is it best to use "killall conky; conky" to update it, otherwise the update_num will not be reset and you will get an error.

To call this script in Conky, use the following (assuming that you save this script to ~/scripts/rings.lua):
	lua_load ~/scripts/rings-v1.2.1.lua
	lua_draw_hook_pre ring_stats

Changelog:
+ v1.2.1 -- Fixed minor bug that caused script to crash if conky_parse() returns a nil value (20.10.2009)
+ v1.2 -- Added option for the ending angle of the rings (07.10.2009)
+ v1.1 -- Added options for the starting angle of the rings, and added the "max" variable, to allow for variables that output a numerical value rather than a percentage (29.09.2009)
+ v1.0 -- Original release (28.09.2009)
]]

settings_table = {
	{
		-- Edit this table to customise your rings.
		-- You can create more rings simply by adding more elements to settings_table.
		-- "name" is the type of stat to display; you can choose from 'cpu', 'memperc', 'fs_used_perc', 'battery_used_perc'.
		name='time',
		-- "arg" is the argument to the stat type, e.g. if in Conky you would write ${cpu cpu0}, 'cpu0' would be the argument. If you would not use an argument in the Conky variable, use ''.
		arg='%I.%M',
		-- "max" is the maximum value of the ring. If the Conky variable outputs a percentage, use 100.
		max=12,
		-- "bg_colour" is the colour of the base ring.
		bg_colour=0xffffff,
		-- "bg_alpha" is the alpha value of the base ring.
		bg_alpha=0.1,
		-- "fg_colour" is the colour of the indicator part of the ring.
		fg_colour=0xffffff,
		-- "fg_alpha" is the alpha value of the indicator part of the ring.
		fg_alpha=0.4,
		-- "x" and "y" are the x and y coordinates of the centre of the ring, relative to the top left corner of the Conky window.
		x=75, y=75,
		-- "radius" is the radius of the ring.
		radius=50,
		-- "thickness" is the thickness of the ring, centred around the radius.
		thickness=5,
		-- "start_angle" is the starting angle of the ring, in degrees, clockwise from top. Value can be either positive or negative.
		start_angle=0,
		-- "end_angle" is the ending angle of the ring, in degrees, clockwise from top. Value can be either positive or negative, but must be larger (e.g. more clockwise) than start_angle.
		end_angle=360
	},
	{
		name='time',
		arg='%M',
		max=60,
		bg_colour=0xffffff,
		bg_alpha=0.1,
		fg_colour=0xffffff,
		fg_alpha=0.4,
		x=75, y=75,
		radius=56,
		thickness=5,
		start_angle=0,
		end_angle=360
	},
	{
		name='time',
		arg='%S',
		max=60,
		bg_colour=0xffffff,
		bg_alpha=0.1,
		fg_colour=0xff0000,
		fg_alpha=0.8,
		x=75, y=75,
		radius=62,
		thickness=5,
		start_angle=0,
		end_angle=360
	},
	{
		name='loadavg',
		arg='1',
		max=1,
		bg_colour=0xffffff,
		bg_alpha=0.1,
		fg_colour=0xff0000,
		fg_alpha=0.8,
		x=1250, y=75,
		radius=62,
		thickness=5,
		start_angle=0,
		end_angle=360
	},
	{
		name='loadavg',
		arg='2',
		max=1,
		bg_colour=0xffffff,
		bg_alpha=0.1,
		fg_colour=0xff0000,
		fg_alpha=0.8,
		x=1250, y=75,
		radius=56,
		thickness=5,
		start_angle=0,
		end_angle=360
	},
	{
		name='loadavg',
		arg='3',
		max=1,
		bg_colour=0xffffff,
		bg_alpha=0.1,
		fg_colour=0xff0000,
		fg_alpha=0.8,
		x=1250, y=75,
		radius=50,
		thickness=5,
		start_angle=0,
		end_angle=360
	},	
}

require 'cairo'

function rgb_to_r_g_b(colour,alpha)
	return ((colour / 0x10000) % 0x100) / 255., ((colour / 0x100) % 0x100) / 255., (colour % 0x100) / 255., alpha
end

function draw_ring(cr,t,pt)
	local w,h=conky_window.width,conky_window.height

local xc,yc,ring_r,ring_w,sa,ea=pt['x'],pt['y'],pt['radius'],pt['thickness'],pt['start_angle'],pt['end_angle']
	local bgc, bga, fgc, fga=pt['bg_colour'], pt['bg_alpha'], pt['fg_colour'], pt['fg_alpha']

local angle_0=sa*(2*math.pi/360)-math.pi/2
	local angle_f=ea*(2*math.pi/360)-math.pi/2
	local t_arc=t*(angle_f-angle_0)

-- Draw background ring

cairo_arc(cr,xc,yc,ring_r,angle_0,angle_f)
	cairo_set_source_rgba(cr,rgb_to_r_g_b(bgc,bga))
	cairo_set_line_width(cr,ring_w)
	cairo_stroke(cr)

-- Draw indicator ring

cairo_arc(cr,xc,yc,ring_r,angle_0,angle_0+t_arc)
	cairo_set_source_rgba(cr,rgb_to_r_g_b(fgc,fga))
	cairo_stroke(cr)		
end

function conky_ring_stats()
	local function setup_rings(cr,pt)
		local str=''
		local value=0

str=string.format('${%s %s}',pt['name'],pt['arg'])
		str=conky_parse(str)

value=tonumber(str)
		if value == nil then value = 0 end
		pct=value/pt['max']

draw_ring(cr,pct,pt)
	end

if conky_window==nil then return end
	local cs=cairo_xlib_surface_create(conky_window.display,conky_window.drawable,conky_window.visual, conky_window.width,conky_window.height)

local cr=cairo_create(cs)	

local updates=conky_parse('${updates}')
	update_num=tonumber(updates)

if update_num>5 then
		for i in pairs(settings_table) do
			setup_rings(cr,settings_table[i])
		end
	end
end
follow the same procedure as for the conkyrc:
- copy all text for a new document in Gedit;
- save it as rings-lua inside a folder named scripts in your home (if you don't have one, create it)

4th- Add conky to Startup Applications

#!/bin/bash
sleep 40
conky -c ~/.conkyrc &
#conky -c ~/.conkyrc1 &
#conky -c ~/.conkyrc2
exit
- same as before;
- save it as .conkystart.sh in your home folder;
- make it executable: right-click on it, properties, permissions, tick the box "allow executing file as program";
- open control centre, startup applications, add, name> conky, command, browse until you pick the saved .conkystart.sh
note: i have 3 conkys in the script, but 2 are commented out(#), if one day you want to add more conkys just remove the # as long as you follow those names :D

Tweaks:
${voffset 35}${goto 40}${uptime_short}${voffset -35}${goto 170}ds ${downspeed eth2}${goto 300}us ${upspeed eth2}${goto 420}cpu ${acpitemp}C (${cpu cpu0}% ${cpu cpu1}%)${goto 620}${color ff00ff}ram ${memperc}% ${color}${goto 730}proc ${processes} (${running_processes} run)${goto 950}fs ${fs_used /}(${fs_used_perc /}%)${goto 1230}
${goto 165}${color ff00ff}${hr 1}${color}
${goto 900}${time %A, %d %B %Y}
- the conkyrc was made for a 1366 px width screen, for bigger or smaller you have to play with the goto above and in the rings-lua;
- the internet may change (mine is eth2)
- this laptop has 2 processors (cpu0 and cpu1), change it accordly
mrpeachy

Post by mrpeachy »

here'w my conky to show off
everything is written in lua and displayed via conky (using conky vriables with the handy lua command conky_parse :)
it will display a system monitor like this:
or it will display the network monitor like this:
you can select which from the top of the scipt
there are several things you need to do before the network part will run for you and that is also explained at the top.
being as the script is a little lengthy i wont post the code directly, you can get it here:
http://ompldr.org/vNzF4bA
there are still bugs to work out :) and code to pretty up
and in the works
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

MrPeachy, that is a lot of conky. :lol:
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

:shock: He def knows what his system is doing. 8) :lol:
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
mrpeachy

Post by mrpeachy »

dawgdoc wrote:MrPeachy, that is a lot of conky. :lol:
a mere 5000 lines of lua code and growing... although i suspect a lot of that number is because i write messy code!
if i acutally knew what i was doing i'm sure it would be half the size or less :)
willie42 wrote::shock: He def knows what his system is doing. 8) :lol:
you have to keep a close eye on these things! :)
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Well I am sure as time goes on you will look and change it and make it just the perfect size
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

willie42 wrote:Well I am sure as time goes on you will look and change it and make it just the perfect size
and buy a 2nd monitor to display the rest :lol:

but really that is A conky
d00med

Post by d00med »

I couldn't get a gmail checker to work with conky. I'm using scripts found in this wiki, but nothing is displayed. It does say to modify /etc/stunnel/stunnel.conf, but this is for Arch. Is there a similar config needed for Mint?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

you can try this:

#!/usr/bin/env python2

import os

#Enter your username and password below within double quotes
# eg. username="username" and password="password"
domain="mail.google.com"
username="yourusername"
password="yourpassword"
com="wget -O - https://"+username+":"+password+"@mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom --no-check-certificate"

temp=os.popen(com)
msg=temp.read()
index=msg.find("<fullcount>")
index2=msg.find("</fullcount>")
fc=int(msg[index+11:index2])

if fc==0:
   print "0 new"
else:
   print str(fc)+" new"
save it ni home /scripts, name it gmail.py, make it executable and call it in you conky with

G${execpi 120 python /home/yournamehere/scripts/gmail.py}
d00med

Post by d00med »

Still nothing. I may be missing an imap configuration somewhere. Thanks though.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

its late now, but tmrw i come to this again, in the meantime, start conky in the terminal and check the errors it gives you.
the script is very straightforward, doesn't demand any extra conf. in gmail, overlook your steeps and we'll check it again tmrw.
cya
d00med

Post by d00med »

Cool, thanks!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

let's start from the beginning:
(i've no idea how familiar you are with conky, so i will try to be very self-explanatory - if there's something very obvious, sorry :mrgreen: )

1- create a folder (if you don't have one) in your home called scripts;
2- save this text bellow, only editing the marked parts in that folder and name it gmail.py;

###########################################################
#!/usr/bin/env python2

import os

#Enter your username and password below within double quotes
# eg. username="username" and password="password"
domain="mail.google.com"
username="----------------" # <--enter here your gmail username with the quotes
password="-----------------" # <--enter here your gmail pw with the quotes
com="wget -O - https://"+username+":"+password+"@mail. ... /feed/atom --no-check-certificate" # <--don't touch

temp=os.popen(com)
msg=temp.read()
index=msg.find("<fullcount>")
index2=msg.find("</fullcount>")
fc=int(msg[index+11:index2])

if fc==0:
print "0 new"
else:
print str(fc)+" new"

#############################################################

3- now, you saved it inside the scripts folder, you have to make it executable:
-a: right click on it, properties, permissions, tick the box "allow executing file as program":

4-In conky, you call the script with this line

Gmail ${execpi 120 python /home/yournamehere/scripts/gmail.py}
- after /home/ you have to edit the line with your name.

Troubleshooting:
1- make sure you have conky-all installed,
2- make sure you have wget installed
3- when editing the conky, start it with the terminal, just typing conky, this way you can the errors

Let's see if it works :)

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”