Compiz effects not working

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dragon32kB

Compiz effects not working

Post by Dragon32kB »

Hello, I recently installed Linux Mint 19.2 and tried the Compiz settings that came with the OS but they dont seem to work. I tried Wobbly Windows for example and it doesnt seem to work...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Compiz effects not working

Post by rickNS »

You can turn on all the effects you want in Compiz Configuration Settings Manager...(CCSM)
but changes won't take effect till you change the Window Manager (WM) to Compiz, did you make Compiz the WM ? In case not...

You can change WM from GUI by clicking;
MENU>Control Center>Desktop Settings>Windows
From there click the down arrow by manager, and select Compiz.

You can also change WM from the terminal compiz --replace
Go back to default WM with metacity --replace
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Ben2talk2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ben2talk2 »

I switched to KDE a couple of months ago - kwin is superb, actively maintained, and has more than enough effects - better IMO than conky, and with latte dock just a superb desktop.

Yes, wobbly windows, great OSD clock (kwin effect) great translucency effects, sliding popups, yet another magic lamp, glides etc.
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

well i got mint 20.0 mate and nothing is working for me with compiz and am not a new linux mint mate new guy ,work's great in mint 19.3 but with mint 20.0 when going to Desktop setting change to compiz instead of marco ,i lose all my maximaze or minimaze button they all dissapear and it as not been solve in what few months now,stil waiting for a fix,i reinsatlled mint 19.3 mate and it work's great with all the same set-up as mint 20.0,so will be waiting for the fix .
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

nascar64 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:13 am well i got mint 20.0 mate and nothing is working for me with compiz and am not a new linux mint mate new guy ,work's great in mint 19.3 but with mint 20.0 when going to Desktop setting change to compiz instead of marco ,i lose all my maximaze or minimaze button they all dissapear and it as not been solve in what few months now,stil waiting for a fix,i reinsatlled mint 19.3 mate and it work's great with all the same set-up as mint 20.0,so will be waiting for the fix .
i lose all my maximaze or minimaze button they all dissapear
Have you enabled Windows Decorations in Compiz Settings/Effects?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
nascar64
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nascar64 »

Yes and many other different thing i usualy don't need too,still don't work.like i said before mint 19.3 mate work's like a charm compare to 20.0 for my computer any way,But Thank's any way(usualy just a few ting i need to make mint mate to work to get compiz)been using compiz since mint mate17 , i think.I even got it to work on LMDE 3 Mate, this i had to install mate over so to speak cinnamon and it did work great now i got LMDE 4 ,did not try mate yet,will eventualy.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

nascar64 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:33 pm Yes and many other different thing i usualy don't need too,still don't work.like i said before mint 19.3 mate work's like a charm compare to 20.0 f
Do you still have a "working" mint 19.3 ? if so, you can export your CCSM profile, then import that into mint 20. That is what I did in a virtual mint 20 to get everything I had working in mint 19. I don't have an actual install of mint 20 yet.
Last edited by rickNS on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

compiz is one of those things that a user needs to learn on their own. the reason why it's not working for you in mint20 mate is because you haven't configured it correctly to display decorations. or you probably overlooked one of the hundreds and hundreds of settings

only God knows how many times i messed up my desktop using compiz. but since compiz is un-supported (it's up to the OP to figure it out if they want to use it

also if you now have new nvidia-drivers 3D windows do not work any longer

offtopic: anyone ever notice the lamp minimize animation in compiz sure looks a lot like the apple-OS minimize animation? that's because apple developers did not design any effects but borrowed begged and stole from open source
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

trytip wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:55 am
offtopic: anyone ever notice the lamp minimize animation in compiz sure looks a lot like the apple-OS minimize animation? that's because apple developers did not design any effects but borrowed begged and stole from open source
Good points above.
No, never used apple.
Yeah apple thieves. Stole, and sold for very high profit, I hope...

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”