Compiz Warning

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Compiz Warning

Post by JTJersey »

This is more of a remark than a question and as a reference I'm using Mint 19.3 64bit with Mate desktop. So first let me point out that I really like Compiz. It's fun and brings the desktop alive and I've been using it for years. BUT, and this is a big one, I checked the box for Simple Animations to see what it did and found out it trashes your installation! Nice. I mean, why not have an innocuous check box with no warning that deletes your taskbar, desktop icons and leaves you with a blank wallpaper to stare at? What fun. Logging out or rebooting didn't help. Super Key did bring up the Mate Menu, but unchecking that accursed box and rebooting didn't help either. Super Key got me back to the Menu and I switched to Marco with Compositing and everything came back. Yay! Dared to try enabling Compiz again with everything but the wobbly windows and desktop cube disabled, but now Compiz doesn't work at all. So I'm stuck with Marco and a boring static desktop. Maybe I'll do a clean install and try again. At least I have multiple complete backups at my disposable, so this is more of an annoyance than a catastrophe.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Compiz Warning

Post by all41 »

Hi JYJersey
I checked the box for Simple Animations to see what it did and found out it trashes your installation!
Just to say this is not happening here with 19.3 MATE using Compiz Simple Animations
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTJersey »

Did you do a clean install of 19.3 or and upgrade from 19.2?
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

JTJersey wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:41 pm I mean, why not have an innocuous check box with no warning that deletes your taskbar, desktop icons and leaves you with a blank wallpaper to stare at?

At least I have multiple complete backups at my disposable, so this is more of an annoyance than a catastrophe.
If you have backup then at least try replace ~/.config/compiz-1 from a earlier time.

As far as no warning, that's not entirely true, or fair, this is the warning when you start ccsm.
20191229.png
20191229.png (20.08 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
What other "effects" do you have turned on ?
I have 4 without any problem, animations, animations add-on, windows decorations, wobbly windows.

Good reason to have back up, or experiment on a live environment.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

JTJersey wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:08 pm Did you do a clean install of 19.3 or and upgrade from 19.2?
I have both. Just tested again in both in-place upgrade and fresh installation.
Perhaps a graphic driver issue or maybe even a theme conflict
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”